Zombies occupied / Hanging around

Hilrof

OMG that would be the most awesome thing .....

a dog whose owner is a zombie ... dog doesn't want to leave his master ... but won't let him get too close either ... or maybe the zombie still recognizes his faithful companion  ... you come around the corner and find the two of them sharing a fresh corpse ...

a dog whose owner is a zombie ... dog doesn't want to leave his master ... but won't let him get too close either ... or maybe the zombie still recognizes his faithful companion  ... you come around the corner and find the two of them sharing a fresh corpse ...

Beautiful  :( its really moving

Nah Houski, traditional zombie lore dictates that zombies search for and eat anything big enough to represent a meal. They might go for a bird/rat etc (but I doubt it), but they would always go for any large animal. I.e a dog, horse etc. They ain't trying to spread infection because they ain't clever enough to do that, otherwise they'd just take a single bite out of you and be done with it. Zombies generally kill to eat, even though they can't digest their prey.

Here we go again, problems with the zombie lore. While for example the Walking Dead zombies eventually slow down and finally stop moving if they havent fed in a while,  the main unrealistic thing about zombies is still their almost endless supply of energy without sufficient metabilising going on. Making the zombies eat a little every once in a while doesnt do much to make these rotting chunks of meat more believable.

On the other hand, attacking other organisms to spread the virus actually makes sense. Its not about being clever enough to do that, there are some real life viruses that affect their hosts behavior. The change tends to be that the host is much more careless, making it more likely that he is going to get eaten by a predator, passing on the virus to him. Zombie virus could work in pretty much the opposite way, making the host much more aggressive, therefore more likely to spread the virus by killing another organism and making it reanimate.

That being said, I still think that zombies gnawing on corpses is a great idea. If the virus worked in the way that I described, the zombies aggressive behavior could be extended to eating everything that looks and smells even remotely like meat. In fact, the way that most zombies just mindlessly clap their teeth and chew without swallowing makes my theory that much more plausible.

TL,DR

Zombies gnawing on corpses works and it looks kewl.

I dunno, I always find it increasingly tense whenever I have to pass by a motionless, 'sleeping' horde of zombies and I do something stupid, only to see the horde one-by-one 'wake up' and begin to chase me.

Much for exhilarating IMO.. Perhaps this could be included for small groups of 2 or 3 zombies? Or even singular?

EDIT

sneep

Last time I checked the devs were wanting something that represented a hybrid of Romero/Max Brooks zombies.. Now it's been a few years since I read it, but I do believe the infected only eat fresh meat (in the Zombie Survival Guide it was specifically mentioned as human meat. I think.) but not due to a metabolism/Energy/renewal kind of deal, but more of an instinctive one, it's just something they do - the fact that the virus spreads via bites and bodily fluids simply helps it spread.

Like I said, it has been a long time since I read the book so I may be incorrect on that one.

As stated above, if the devs are focusing heavier on Max Brooks than Romero, this is likely something that'd have to be modded in as the Survival Guide specifically says that the undead cannot remember their past lives.

Indeed. It would put the "apocalypse" back in "zombie apocalypse." I look outside, see zombies eating corpses, fighting over the scraps.. vomiting, or wrestling amongst themselves, and I'm a little more horrified.

Even better if they have to stop for a second to get out of their stupor, compared to the "alert" position, like how they're currently standing. It's like they're always vigilant, when they really shouldn't be. They're unintelligent, and should be easily distracted; not standing watch 24/7.

I think this was either stated in a mondoid back when TIS were working on Horde behaviour/migration, but the idea is that with no stimuli such as sound, movement, etc.. The undead have no reason to wander around, which is why in some of the older builds you could hear helicopters, gunfire, etc.. It was to move the hordes around the map, so you didn't always encounter a still-standing horde.

EDIT III:

Man, I am on fire today.

• 2 weeks later...

Woaw guys, i love all your suggestions, especially with animals ! I also didn't expect that so much people like to see the game more base on Max Brooks books.

I'll put some of you ideas in the first post, and if you prefer to make your own suggestion and don't see it in mine, just say it and i'll delete it.