Zombies occupied / Hanging around

Hilrof

Hi every body !

I've been trought a few games in Insane option, and when i get out to find supplies, i always see zombies waiting in streets, just waiting to move after the first sound...

I mean, zombies still are "living" ! So here is my little suggestion :

- Implement a few behavior for zombies, like eating a corpse, follow an other zombie, scratch walls, not intelligent or logical behavior, but something to make zombies more "alive", and by these occupations it could be easier to be invisible for them, they are concentrate and making some noises !

- The second behavior i'd like to see is just zombies to be able to hang around, independantly from any sound. Maybe just after a little time in a place, the zombie move around, a stop somewhere, with any logic ? And by moving, the zombie drags some other zombies who just have seen him move and so follow him by instinct ! I'd love to see some hordes, just one or two per city, "leading" by a small group of zombies always moving around, and draggind other zombies to create a big horde, also dropping little groups of zombies in it track. These hordes could follow sounds and survivors, but when there is any of them, they just follow their instinct, leading them to places all around the city.

(Max Brooks in his survivor guide said that zombies are attracted by the places which attracted humans before : church, schools, community centers, malls... Maybe these places are soak by human odors, and a horde can smell it ?)

Just an idea to make zombies more than waiting in the streets, and more terrible !

I hope this was clear, i really apologize for my english !

EDIT 24/02/2015 :

Here are some of the ideas you give me :

- When wildlife be there, zombies are of course attract by its move and smell. Especially in city, i'd really love to see dogs and rats. They are the only animals who will stay in town :

_ rats survive pretty easy to zombies and will have more food and space than ever.  And of course, those little mooving snacks will attract zombies in buildings, sometimes really deep in them.

_ dogs are the saddest remains of this world : their owners are dead, and dogs wasn't ready to deal with a life without man. But they still are very dangerous beasts, more when hunger come to them... That's why you'll find some dogs, looking together in town, on an opposite neighborhood of the great horde, spreading is rotten smell all around.

If this animals will left when a horde come around, they'll stay in town, and kind of accustom to this danger. So they won't be afraid by a few zombies hanging around, of course, until one of them see his meal and run after it. That could drag zombies on a long distance, or deep in a building, and zombies will keep looking for it until they forgot. And that could be a pretty long time, enough to get in higher buildings or in a weak point of your fortress...

- Of course zombies are aggressive because of the virus, trying to spreading as much as possible. But after the higher point of contamination, the possibilities to spread just go down, so this organism work on the "health" of his host. According to Max Brooks, zombies in temperate climate (as USA or EU) can live 3 years with a minimal eat. Zombies in cold climate will live longer, and tropical about one year less. But it is still an organism, ruled by a virus who naturally try to live as longer as possible.

So if zombies will always run after a human being, all the other time they will try to feed themselves, with small animals and rest bodies.

Indeed. It would put the "apocalypse" back in "zombie apocalypse." I look outside, see zombies eating corpses, fighting over the scraps.. vomiting, or wrestling amongst themselves, and I'm a little more horrified.

Even better if they have to stop for a second to get out of their stupor, compared to the "alert" position, like how they're currently standing. It's like they're always vigilant, when they really shouldn't be. They're unintelligent, and should be easily distracted; not standing watch 24/7.

Yeah, Fortport I think you're spot on! Exactly how I imagine it too!! Makes me wanna ask the devs right away to please tell us, wether this is something they're working on or considering?

Excellent mate. Here's hoping they skim this forum, and see all these wonderful suggestions that we have in store.

Yeah I guess we're very lucky that our devs for PZ do read the forums a lot :) but to be honest I think they allready have something like this planned... It kind of feels like an obvious thing to add, now after we discuss it. :P

The more it's discussed, the more motivated we will all be in getting this in the game, though. It's exciting.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that when animals are implemented, that zombies go after THEM as well as humans! that would be intensely close to the Brooks/Romero writing!

Wouldn't this just be nuts: Sauntering through the city, and the only reason your street is relatively clear is because four of five walkers have cornered a deer in an alley.

Cue the nature nuts dieing trying to save the deer

I feel like Brooks' survival guide should be more looked upon to for inspiration for gameplay, even more than it already has been :P

I'll spoiler the next part because that's just a huge wall of text that went out of hand because of my yet another brainstorm. TL;DR - get inspired by Max Brooks' survival guide more please.

Crowbar should be the best weapon in the game, not the axe, or atleast of the same value. (The thing is almost unbreakable, crushes through skulls much better than any baseball bats ever will, props locked doors/windows open)

I remember there was a system where the zombie's loot was determined by the interior's inner room definition, which was removed due to how players were able to abuse it. I propose to reintroduce this system, but instead make it so zombies NEAR a certain vicinity have 40% chance (Percentage goes down each day/week the further you survive) to spawn the area related loot in them. (4 zombies out of ten spawned in vicinity of school will have extra backpacks/pens/notebooks in them).

Thirst and Hunger should be the main things players have to worry about, instead of "where they will go today/how many zombies they have to kill". Right now hunger and thirst feel bothersome, a certain moodle level that you have to keep refilling in order to continue killing zombies. You can stay in "extremely hungry" state for ages and refill it with a mere few snacks and not worry about it again for a few in game days. Max Brooks stated that in a zombie apocalypse majority of people probably won't even face a single zombie, let alone having to fight it, and will die. Think "Long Dark" but with a LOT of wolves, that's how zomboid should feel.

You also should be able to dismantle furniture for spare parts (screws/nails/planks) to fortify your house with a use of any kind of weapon/tool. The better your tool is, the more parts you get. (You get more stuff when dismantling a shelf with a hammer opposed to dismantling it with a fork.) I also know that you can dismantle furniture right now, but at the moment doing it doesn't return any parts, just removes the sprite from the world.

-snip-

I remember there was a system where the zombie's loot was determined by the interior's inner room definition, which was removed due to how players were able to abuse it.

-snap-

They should really bring this back. I don't think there would even be an abuse problem now that the containers are spawned when they're loaded into the world instead of when looked into. I don't know if that's the case with zombies though or if they're spawned on death!

• 3 weeks later...

A little up' to the post, maybe the dev' will see that and answer us : "Dudes, we heard your prayers, your suggestion will be implement one day.  8-) "

Glad to see so much support for this idea, i really hope to see things like that in game !

I want the zombies to prefer humans, but will eat meat of animals sometimes, but mostly ignoring animals is fine. 

Imagine dying because a dog was barking outside your house and the zombies come by and eat the dog at your doorstep, or they ignore the dog and see you through the window and go after you.

Imagine zombies chasing a cat down an alley, that you just happen to be in.

I want the zombies to prefer humans, but will eat meat of animals sometimes, but mostly ignoring animals is fine. 

Imagine dying because a dog was barking outside your house and the zombies come by and eat the dog at your doorstep, or they ignore the dog and see you through the window and go after you.

Imagine zombies chasing a cat down an alley, that you just happen to be in.

Bloody cats. No consideration.

no animal would let a zombie get close enough to do harm.

they would sense or smell them long before the zombies could get close to them

I agree. Average dog can hear a ticking watch from 80 yards away. Their sense of smell is much better than their hearing. They'd be off. The only thing I could think of that might cause the dog's demise would be if it saw its owner, who'd turned, and instinctively ran over. Even then, I reckon it'd know something was wrong when the owner started acting erractically.

Either that, or if a dog was trapped in a room with a zombie. Zombies don't need sleep.

Well, what is the objective of the zombie? Is it really trying to "eat"? I think if it has no metabolism, it probably isn't eating to sustain itself...it is probably attacking things to spread the infection (the way that Zombie Ant fungus works IRL). So if the infection can't be spread to animals (otherwise, Zombie-effing-dogs, zombie-squirrels, etc), they wouldn't even bother with them. They would just ignore the animal...conserve energy...wait for a person to come along. Unless they "mistook" a dog for a person via whatever is their primary sense...

Nah Houski, traditional zombie lore dictates that zombies search for and eat anything big enough to represent a meal. They might go for a bird/rat etc (but I doubt it), but they would always go for any large animal. I.e a dog, horse etc. They ain't trying to spread infection because they ain't clever enough to do that, otherwise they'd just take a single bite out of you and be done with it. Zombies generally kill to eat, even though they can't digest their prey.