Biggest map that can be made?

bvhv

I really don't know where to put this so it is here!

1. What is the biggest map this engine supports?

2. If it supports a huge map what is the limit?

3. Or until it's so laggy that i cant even play the game? would it lag the bigger the map?

4. is it infinite?

Just answer like one of these because it would be nice to know the limit

edit: I apologize for all these questions x.x

so it would be possible with about 5 million modder to rebuild the world? just asking for the sake of it :)

Perhaps just a research team and a few months to use GPS data (i.e. Google's Maps data) to map out houses in an area, then have modders fill it with appropriate templates (where things should go, i.e. how many floors, rooms, etc)

I mean, certain parts of the world wouldn't be too bad.

I'd love to play in Antarctica and die in like a minute due to only wearing a vest, pants, and shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

so it would be possible with about 5 million modder to rebuild the world? just asking for the sake of it :)

Kind of, but probably not.  I'm going to try to explain it, and a lot of this will be super simplified (and a little wrong).

With computers, numbers are limited to a certain range of either size or accuracy.  This wikipedia page explains it a little more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/32-bit

The higher the bit, the bigger (or more accurate) the number.  But as you get further and further away from 0, the numbers begin to be less precise.  This becomes an issue really, really far away from zero and will almost be as if the number is rounding itself.  So things become jittery.  Another issue is because things aren't as smooth, you start to have scenarios that wouldn't exist otherwhys.

In Minecraft, if you travel far enough away (millions and millions of blocks away) the world generator suddenly goes crazy, physics don't work, and so fourth.  That's because the numbers can't maintain the accuracy anymore.

---

So you can have a huge, huge map.  But it (probably) isn't infinite.  There are a lot of ways to fix it.  Kerbal Space Program avoids it by teleporting the world and player back to 0,0 for physics, and handles orbital physics and calculations with much higher bit sizes.

• 2 months later...

I think there's a reason why IndieStone are making their Muldraugh map with original offset of 25;25, instead of 0;0. I've read somewhere that if they "start mapping into the "negative" zone, things start getting really bad".

I think, on paper, it's possible to create earth-sized map in Project Zomboid. Imagine that the Earth is a square. The veeeeeeery bottom-left of the square is "0;0", and it continues stretching up and left until it reaches the other side of the square. If you reach the very bottom-right of the square (Let's say the map is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 blocks, You start off in 0;0 and move right until the very end of the square. You make your way to 0;1,000,000 (from bottom left to bottom right)) the coordinates "sew" themselves together, and after going 1 more block right, you "teleport" back in 0;0, where you effectively just "circle" the entire map without ever going to squares like -3;-14. In this same example, if you start off in 0;0 and go "left", you just get teleported to 0;1,000,000, which is on the other side of the map. If you go "down", you get teleported to coordinates of 1,000,000;0.

But it's just on paper and with the size of the map as it currently stands, I don't think even 1TB of hard drive space will be enough for the map of such size. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's a reason why IndieStone are making their Muldraugh map with original offset of 25;25, instead of 0;0. I've read somewhere that if they "start mapping into the "negative" zone, things start getting really bad".

I think, on paper, it's possible to create earth-sized map in Project Zomboid. Imagine that the Earth is a square. The veeeeeeery bottom-left of the square is "0;0", and it continues stretching up and left until it reaches the other side of the square. If you reach the very bottom-right of the square (Let's say the map is 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 blocks, You start off in 0;0 and move right until the very end of the square. You make your way to 0;1,000,000 (from bottom left to bottom right)) the coordinates "sew" themselves together, and after going 1 more block right, you "teleport" back in 0;0, where you effectively just "circle" the entire map without ever going to squares like -3;-14. In this same example, if you start off in 0;0 and go "left", you just get teleported to 0;1,000,000, which is on the other side of the map. If you go "down", you get teleported to coordinates of 1,000,000;0.

But it's just on paper and with the size of the map as it currently stands, I don't think even 1TB of hard drive space will be enough for the map of such size. 

If the need ever arises we could reorganize things so that an offset is not required. It's a fair bit of work but yes going into negative coords causes all manner of unforeseen bugs that would take an age to fix. More likely we would add some kind of translation in to always align it up to positive coords in-game.

At the moment there isn't enough map content to worry about it, and it'd be a lot easier just to make the offset 50,50 or something if we need room to the north / west in the meantime.

Hard disk space is definitely more the problem. The map isn't small data-wise, but we hope to improve this for the sake of multiplayer streaming anyway. It's not clear how best to do this however.

Kerbal Space Program avoids it by teleporting the world and player back to 0,0 for physics, and handles orbital physics and calculations with much higher bit sizes.

Actually the last time I looked, KSP was still using single-precision floats for at least some of the critical numerical integrators, which goes a long way toward explaining why that game is so buggy. It's true that they use a moving coordinate system for some of the gameplay (where the active vessel is defined to be the origin of coordinates and everything else in the universe moves relative to it), but in practice that's of limited utility.

COMPLETELY off-topic. Sorry.