Walk faster when you're scared

Packbat

I just watched Last Level Press's "Passing Pineview Forest" video, and one of the things Mr. Black commented on was that the character seemed to be walking faster towards the end of the run, when he might reasonably be expected to be more scared. I realized, when I was commenting on the video, that that seems like a really Zomboidish thing: fear makes you breathe harder and makes your pulse race, but it also makes you step just a little (or, as the panic rises, maybe quite a bit) more lively when you're trying to walk or sneak about.

Walking faster based on your Panic moodles would also have a lot of appropriate knock-on effects: you would get fatigued faster and recover from fatigue more slowly, you would be less stealthy sneaking or walking when you were scared, and you would probably be a little less likely to actually get caught by the zombies that are chasing you even without full-on running. Running I wouldn't have affected by fear (it's called 'sprinting' in the skill menu, after all), but walking I would make quicker.

You have a point when you talk about the person's consciousness, but The Walking Dead taught me that every time you see a zombie you should stumble at something and then fall. Jokes aside, it would be cool to have a trait or something related to nervousness and conscious of the character, I know that there's an "emotion" that happens every time you see a big amount of zombie, I forgot the name right now, but it works as if the character was scared/amazed by the situation, I just don't know if this modifies the character's speed.

I mean, that's what the Panic moodles are supposed to be - you losing your cool. And I absolutely agree that we should add traits that affect that - I made a thread earlier suggesting an Intrepid/Steady/Nervous/Jumpy trait set akin to Weak/Feeble/Stout/Strong. (And maybe I should have posted the OP of this thread in that one.) So, yeah, I think it can be added to the game pretty straightforwardly by adding to the existing structure.

Honestly, I'd also love to have tripping in the game, but I don't think it'd work from a players-controlling-their-characters perspective. :P

I mean, that's what the Panic moodles are supposed to be - you losing your cool. And I absolutely agree that we should add traits that affect that - I made a thread earlier suggesting an Intrepid/Steady/Nervous/Jumpy trait set akin to Weak/Feeble/Stout/Strong. (And maybe I should have posted the OP of this thread in that one.) So, yeah, I think it can be added to the game pretty straightforwardly by adding to the existing structure.

Honestly, I'd also love to have tripping in the game, but I don't think it'd work from a players-controlling-their-characters perspective. :P

Oh that's nice. And actually I think it'd be possible, just like the animation of climbing fences/windows, it's something the player can not interrupt after started (correct me if I am wrong).