Help with server performance. Running server off another laptop?

ThatUser

Hello there!

I recently started running a server and have been experiencing some performance issues and I was wondering what could I do to improve fps or lower lag?

I'm currently running the server and playing the game on the same computer, the specs of which are:

Intel i7 3720QM 2.60 Ghz cpu

Nvidia GeForce GT 750m 1gb ram

Windows 7 64-bit

8 gb ram

Running the server usually uses up about 4 gb of ram, well it runs up to that I think one time 5 gb or close to it. Sometimes inside the safe house which has been modified a bit and also has quite a bit of items, I experience low fps looks like slowmotion but once I go out the speed is normal, it only happens inside the house and comes and goes.

The lag happens mostly outside with the zombies stuck without moving for a it in a walking animation. It comes and goes but usually with more players it happens more regularly.

I'm currently running the server with a 16 player cap but considering lowering it a bit but not sure how much. It would be great to run the server with 16 players though.

Any advice?

I was thinking about perhaps running the server off another laptop and running the game on the laptop mentioned above, however it would be on the same connection. Would that maybe give better server performance?

Perhaps I could also use Ethernet on the server laptop instead of wifi?

The other laptop I have that I'm thinking solely for the server has the following specs:

Intel i3 2310 cpu. 2.10 ghz

6gb ram

Nvidia GeForce GT 520 1gb

Also would running the server on one laptop and playing the game on a different laptop work fine with steam?

Appreciate any help on this!

Thanks guys, I moved the server to the other laptop and connected it directly via Ethernet to the router, howevdr there is still some lag around although it's a little bit less then before.

But, now I have another issue with the server...for some reason it does not appear on the public server list!! i rechecked the server options and the public tag is still set on true, I don't get it. :S

A friend and I managed to connect because we have the server saved in the game and another person logged in yesterday too because of the same reason I guess...

What can I do to make it public again??

Edit: Nevermind regarding the public server list thing, I was just a bit impatient, it turned up after a while.

Ah I see!

I was wondering about another thing...would you say that setting up virtual memory up in windows might help with the server? I have 8gb physical ram and have about 50gb free on the hd, which is an 7200rpm.

I'm thinking about setting the minimum and maximum of virtual memory to 16gb but perhaps I could use more hd space or would that make things unstable? Im also thinking at the moment to edit the server batch with notepad and make it use 10gb of ram.

Would mess things up or would it work fine, like the mix of physical and virtual memory?