Zomboid door overhaul

Wolfen

You can open them, you can close them, you can lock them, you can brace yourself on them to resist the zombies, you can look through them with a peephole or through the glass which shouldn't be impossible to look through

Zomboid Door Overhaul

It'll be the latest thing

I'm hoping that within the decade half of these things can get implemented

(clyde)

I agree to but i don't see any need for holding the door in single player. If you are alone and one is at the door i wouldn't bother trying to stop it. I would run.

It will be useful in multiplayer, though.

Or when the NPCs shall be added.

I've had a small idea in mind that could add up to this already formed list of your suggestions. Really sorry for necro-ing it, but that way I won't feel bad for re-starting the same issue that was brought up a month ago.

Things to add for doors :

- Categorize the doors. "Wooden", "Steel", "Glass", etc.

- Doors in 1 category are easier to break than doors in other category. (For example - Steel door > Wooden door > Glass door.)

- Make doors in certain category breakable by certain weapons. (Steel doors can only be taken down by the use of crowbar or sledgehammer, Wooden doors can only be taken down by sharp-long weapons, blunt weapons and shotgun, Glass doors can be taken down by anything.)

- Each door category spawns certain item upon breaking it. ("Steel parts" for future crafting when breaking steel door, "Wooden planks" for wooden door, duh, "Glass shards" when breaking glass doors.)

- Pushing/crafting furniture infront of a door increases it's durability, but blocks you from accessing through it.

- Open silently/quickly. Quick opening is done by tapping E, produces noise, makes zombies go after you. Slow opening is done by holding E - An action starts, you have to hold E until it ends, but you manage to open door slower, making less noise. If you let go of the button earlier, the action is taken as "open quickly".

If a zombie is standing right beside the door, quick opening knocks it back, slow opening is "Failed" and alerts the zombie on the other side. (if it opens inward). If the door opens outward and zombie is on the other side, quick opening instantly attracts it towards you. Slow opening will attract it only if it's staring in your direction.

Certain doors don't block sight. Doors like celldoors, glass doors, doors with windows can be seen through. Both useful and dangerous at the same time. Can be covered with a sheet to block visibility.

Running into a door automatically opens it (if unlocked). As with the case with "opening silently/quickly", running into a door automatically opens it for you, but you deal with a higher noise that is produced and attracts even more zombies to it.

- Doors in weaker category (Wooden, Glass) can be broken by Strong/stout characters when ran into. When you make your escape from a horde you don't have time to access your crowbar or sledgehammer. If a door is weak enough, strong characters need fear not as they can run into a door and smash through it, even when locked. It will probably render it's ability to be locked again useless, but you don't have to worry about that when there's 50 zombies ready to gnaw at your feet if you don't do something fast. Make it a 0.5-1 second timed action so you can cancel it by turning away if you didn't mean to do it. Makes a huge f**king noise that can be heard in the whole neightborhood. Smart players will only use it in EXTREME conditions. Dumb players (Like me <3) will use it when it would be much safer to just open them loudly.

I like it but then there would have to be a good 30 new textures and a world revamp but i like the idea.

Wooden, Glass and Steel doors already exist within the map. :P

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.37062512575709655,0.23352760158065447,1020.6746999785311

(Cell door within police station)

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.37565040474137995,0.2334394417491477,2116.4710578754816

(regular, steel "anti-theft" door.)

examples of a "Steel" door.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.39656108240840504,0.23303409758438381,2116.4710578754816

Example of wooden door.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.4170586422810642,0.20941154168923265,2539.7652694505778

Example of glass door.