Hydrocraft Mod

Hydromancerx

Yesterday I wiped all files, reinstalled everything from scratch and had my friend send me his mods folder. After setting up a server, i set the spawn co ords to the large warehouse. It started fine but after about a minute the text had turned to blocks and after opening a door the icons had gone too. Rejoining seems to just make it gradually worse each time :/

Okay then. Wow. O_o

That's a new one even for me. Never encountered that sort of error to terrain outright changing form like that. I've seen the errors of terrain missing/items vanishing but not that badly. Hm.

Reinstalled the game entirely or just the usual wipe world/refresh/remake? And what's your rig like that the server rides on? I know with the programming that RAM gets eaten up a lot at times and you may be getting some of that artifacting due to that. Any other details?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/21/2015, 17:00:12
       Machine name: CAPTAIN-CRASHY
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.150715-0840)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M.
       System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
               BIOS: 1703
          Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8152MB RAM
          Page File: 5426MB used, 5157MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Sorry about any weird formatting. I agree it is very strange. But the exact same issue also occurs on solo as well so i dont think its a server exclusive issue. It could possibly be the RAM but diagnostics show its not reaching its max capacity. I know for a fact my specs are better than my friends as well, yet as I said before he has no issues.

I reinstalled entirely. Deleted local content, then wiped any residual folders, ran CCleaner, restarted and reinstalled. It ran perfectly until I left the start building. If a screen capture would help I can produce one. Just want to get this mod working haha.

Let me know if there is anything more I can provide, also, thanks for the assistance :)

Yesterday I wiped all files, reinstalled everything from scratch and had my friend send me his mods folder. After setting up a server, i set the spawn co ords to the large warehouse. It started fine but after about a minute the text had turned to blocks and after opening a door the icons had gone too. Rejoining seems to just make it gradually worse each time :/

Okay then. Wow. O_o

That's a new one even for me. Never encountered that sort of error to terrain outright changing form like that. I've seen the errors of terrain missing/items vanishing but not that badly. Hm.

Reinstalled the game entirely or just the usual wipe world/refresh/remake? And what's your rig like that the server rides on? I know with the programming that RAM gets eaten up a lot at times and you may be getting some of that artifacting due to that. Any other details?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/21/2015, 17:00:12
       Machine name: CAPTAIN-CRASHY
   Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_ltsb.150715-0840)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: To be filled by O.E.M.
       System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
               BIOS: 1703
          Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8152MB RAM
          Page File: 5426MB used, 5157MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode

Sorry about any weird formatting. I agree it is very strange. But the exact same issue also occurs on solo as well so i dont think its a server exclusive issue. It could possibly be the RAM but diagnostics show its not reaching its max capacity. I know for a fact my specs are better than my friends as well, yet as I said before he has no issues.

I reinstalled entirely. Deleted local content, then wiped any residual folders, ran CCleaner, restarted and reinstalled. It ran perfectly until I left the start building. If a screen capture would help I can produce one. Just want to get this mod working haha.

Let me know if there is anything more I can provide, also, thanks for the assistance :)

Haha, I'm no pro at this. Just an I.T. guy who enjoys Hydro's work and trying to assist where I can to get bug reports sorted! Just sorting out the primary issues first so that we get to the source of the error and to cut out the un-needed easy solutions! :P

Good on you for your primary diagnosis and getting the early steps out of the way so we can count out an incompatibility issue. From there we can see if it's related to in-game files/folders! We're getting to the root of the problem here since if we provide Hydro proper details instead of "I HAVE A PROBLEM!" - we can get it seen to.

1) So in terms of the artifacting and terrain...if you logout in a broken area, restart server and come back in-any difference or the terrain remains GENERATED as broken/artifacted?
2) This problem only shows up on YOUR end since I assume from your post that you run the server on your rig for friends to connect to and then you connect to your 127.0.0.1 to join in correct? If that's the case - they're NOT experiencing the terrain issue but YOU are...correct?

Me neither, im actually a programmer by trade but this issue still has me stumped. 

1- It remains broken. Initially when loading the 'THIS IS HOW YOU DIED' appears as is, however, after the artifacts start appearing, that text and most of the menu text swaps to various red and black coloured blocks. Even after a full game restart the issue remains until i disable the Hydro mod. As for content in game, it starts with the text doing as stated. It then evolves to textures not loading then custom objects also appearing as big white tiles. As of yet I have found no solution to fix this other than a clean slate.

2- it is only ever on my end. The rest is correct, we use EVOLVE client for easier connection but other than that, all is fine my buddies end but all custom content my end starts to degrade with time. As soon as the text goes on all status effects and item info its unplayable. It even effects vanilla items. Solo and multiplayer

Me neither, im actually a programmer by trade but this issue still has me stumped. 

1- It remains broken. Initially when loading the 'THIS IS HOW YOU DIED' appears as is, however, after the artifacts start appearing, that text and most of the menu text swaps to various red and black coloured blocks. Even after a full game restart the issue remains until i disable the Hydro mod. As for content in game, it starts with the text doing as stated. It then evolves to textures not loading then custom objects also appearing as big white tiles. As of yet I have found no solution to fix this other than a clean slate.

2- it is only ever on my end. The rest is correct, we use EVOLVE client for easier connection but other than that, all is fine my buddies end but all custom content my end starts to degrade with time. As soon as the text goes on all status effects and item info its unplayable. It even effects vanilla items. Solo and multiplayer

1) Evolve client you say...do tell me more.

2) Let's try a graphics setting change? Have you tried switching up resolution with a server restart and see if the problem persists across the save and reload?

It seems that the problem is happening as the game tries to load Hydro textures or objects and starts failing at it or some sort of corruption happens. Thing is that Hydro doesn't change the base game terrain and textures so hence this puzzles me as well. So far nothing's been added to the base game that the PLAYER doesn't create and drop/deploy.

It's strange that it persists until the Hydro mod loads and unload though...I assume you can't load into the server to see if the artifacts persist if you:

-Deactivate the mod in SP.
-Restart client.
-Disable the mod in MP Server - don't reset the server fresh to generate a new world. Keep the Hydro content but deactivate the mod and keep going.
-Restart server
-Login with Client into server with mod UNLOADED and see if persists?

Any of that seems logical?

Edited by evankimori

ERROR: can't find recipe source "Pumpkin" in recipe "Make Pumpkin Pie"

ERROR: can't find recipe source "Pumpkin" in recipe "Plant Pumpkin Seeds"

ERROR: can't find recipe result "Pumpkin" in recipe "Harvest Pumpkin"

In the HCCrossbow and HCLongbow item definitions: NPCSoundBosst should be NPCSoundBoost

Well the pumpkin is supose to be a base game thing. I guess I will have to make a temp pumpkin.

As for the sounds, thanks for catching that.

Hydromancer, I just noticed that you have HCClayteapot declared twice.  HCClayteapotfull does not seem to be declared, but instead overwriting the first HCClayteapot.

Thanks for catching that. It shall be fixed for next release.

Hydromancer, you remember that issue where something went wrong with one of the items, and two chunks of my large base suddenly vanished? I've just had the same thing happen again. I'm not sure what might be involved, but the areas that've been nuked contained all of the items I'd gained from foraging, my non-tinned food, and all the kitchenware items I'd assembled.

ETA: poking around further, it's also taken out all of my stored alcohol (I'd taken over the alcohol warehouse in New Denver) and the cupboard full of stuff I was planning on recycling, although I don't think there were any new items in that. I have got about forty glass jars with lids I need to replace now... and I'd harvested all my crops yesterday, so I'm glad it at least restocked the cupboards with random stuff.

ETA2: you mentioned in the update that all the bugs and insects had been changed, to accommodate new recipes - could that be it? I had some ants of both kinds in my fridge, which is in the middle of one area that got clobbered, and more ants plus all the other bugs stored on shelves in the other area.

It was probably the ants that did it.

I think I'd better start storing all the foraging stuff in a crate in the garden or another building - losing all my jerky and jam making stuff smarts.

ETA: I've started playing with the windmill/water tower and the like, because I love the idea of having windmills and water towers on top of my building. I'm currently scavenging frantically for steel pipework - I seem to have found as many copper pipes as I have steel ones, though. Would it be possible to use copper pipes as substitutes for steel ones in the recipes?

I think I'd better start storing all the foraging stuff in a crate in the garden or another building - losing all my jerky and jam making stuff smarts.

ETA: I've started playing with the windmill/water tower and the like, because I love the idea of having windmills and water towers on top of my building. I'm currently scavenging frantically for steel pipework - I seem to have found as many copper pipes as I have steel ones, though. Would it be possible to use copper pipes as substitutes for steel ones in the recipes?

Then it would not match the art. And I ready don't want to have a bunch of variations based on the pipe.

1) Evolve client you say...do tell me more.

2) Let's try a graphics setting change? Have you tried switching up resolution with a server restart and see if the problem persists across the save and reload?

It seems that the problem is happening as the game tries to load Hydro textures or objects and starts failing at it or some sort of corruption happens. Thing is that Hydro doesn't change the base game terrain and textures so hence this puzzles me as well. So far nothing's been added to the base game that the PLAYER doesn't create and drop/deploy.

It's strange that it persists until the Hydro mod loads and unload though...I assume you can't load into the server to see if the artifacts persist if you:

-Deactivate the mod in SP.

-Restart client.

-Disable the mod in MP Server - don't reset the server fresh to generate a new world. Keep the Hydro content but deactivate the mod and keep going.

-Restart server

-Login with Client into server with mod UNLOADED and see if persists?

Any of that seems logical?

1- EVOLVE is just like hamachi, it simulates a LAN but maintains static IP's for each party member. Just means theres no faffing with port forwarding etc.

2- I gave it a go, but the issue remains.

I played around a little more, considered making a video for clarity. From a fresh slate I set up a game with Hydrocraft. Initially everything was fine once again. I had custom content and everything worked. This time I stayed around the spawn location and nothing changed. 

Seems it only happens when rendering tiles. Once I left the house and got a certain distance from where I spawned, the console logged about loading tiles. At this moment the corruption began with the first noticeable sign being the HUD text. 

Vanilla textures and objects remain fine apart from the text descriptions. The text for everything else becomes corrupted blocks. Loaded objects from the mod remain as well, I noted binoculars in the spawn location, by the time i got to the next house I found the binoculars there as well with the icon. Its only the new content I dont come across in the start area that loads with white icons. Re-logging once this has started however causes all custom content to be white blocks. The text throughout is corrupted apart from item names in containers and inventory. The descriptions, status effects and on screen text is however, corrupted. This spreads to the menu too.

I tried on both solo and online and the effect is exactly the same. Starting the server with the mod, then deactivating and re- running just resulted in me being instantly kicked due to mismatched data.

UPDATE: See below for more details. Also, Solo mode now works perfectly. Issues now only apply to server.

I just ran again in windowed mod so i could watch the logs from the server and game console.

This time the corruption started in the spawn area. The last logs for the game:

loot inv created
loot all visible 

context menu created

context menu initialised

context menu added

STATE: enter zombie.gameStates.IngameState

Processing delayed packets...

The server:

*** SERVER STARTED ****
server is listening on port 16261
User balls is trying to connect.
Connected new client balls ID # 0 and assigned DL port 16262
testing TCP download port 16262
MOD: failed to load poster C:\Users\Toby\Zomboid\mods\Hydrocraft\poster.png
client connected to TCP download port 16262 ok
loaded chunks for cell 155,143 ms=297.9661
loaded chunks for cell 156,143 ms=325.54968
loaded chunks for cell 155,144 ms=205.70834
loaded chunks for cell 156,144 ms=209.38673
RecalcAll for cell 155,143 ms=1066.3651
RecalcAll for cell 156,143 ms=349.50037
loaded2=[]
finish loading cell 155,143 ms=486.49878
RecalcAll for cell 155,144 ms=190.03993
loaded2=[]
finish loading cell 156,143 ms=490.19525
RecalcAll for cell 156,144 ms=514.8905
loaded2=[]
finish loading cell 155,144 ms=282.86526
loaded2=[]
finish loading cell 156,144 ms=102.67694
Deleting zombie that is only 1.5996094 away from player.

These havent changed in 8 minutes of being stationary in game. Im not 100% but the text seemed to corrupt this time when:
"Deleting zombie that is only 1.5996094 away from player." appeared in the log. Its the first time I have seen this server log but its also the first time the content has corrupted in the spawn area.

UPDATE: This is now a server exclusive issue, the Solo mode now works perfectly with no issues when relogging or running for miles ^^.

Just wondering if the new bellows and pulley are findable items or if there is some new crafting book? I have the option to craft a blast furnace but after searching all the crafting tabs can't find the pulley or bellows and I don't have the options to build things like the new water tower or well or anything like that. New books? Just curious

Just wondering if the new bellows and pulley are findable items or if there is some new crafting book? I have the option to craft a blast furnace but after searching all the crafting tabs can't find the pulley or bellows and I don't have the options to build things like the new water tower or well or anything like that. New books? Just curious

Pullys can be found, bellows must be made.

You need the Plumbing book for the Water Tower and Water Pump.

Really do hope you change your mind and let us mirror a copy of the previous version.

It's quite annoying when new players can't connect to the server due to the new version being relesaed. They then have to wait for one of us to be informed, shut it down, and update it.

Then all the old players can no longer connect until they update as well.

We then can't schedule updates for something like every Monday.

Quite a PITA for everyone.

Really do hope you change your mind and let us mirror a copy of the previous version.

It's quite annoying when new players can't connect to the server due to the new version being relesaed. They then have to wait for one of us to be informed, shut it down, and update it.

Then have your players set it so they do not auto-update their steam workshop. Then tell them enable it on Monday (or whatever time you choose).

Then have your players set it so they do not auto-update their steam workshop. Then tell them enable it on Monday (or whatever time you choose).
You forget the majority of players still are on 32.16, without Steam support.

Love the mod.  I have a question and a suggestion.

How do you use the compass and the map?  I have equipped them and set locations and waypoints but I can't figure out how it leads me to a particular location.  Any help would be great.

Also, would it be possible to add a command to crafted axes so they can be used to chop down trees?  I know if I stand by them and swing I can cut a tree down but would it be able to make it work like the in-game axe?

Thanks,

Do you have to start a new game after you install the mod?

I ask because I already have a 3 month old base.

Many thanks.

It's usually not NECESSARY but due to how spawning of items work and their chances etc plus new recipes: it's recommended.

That or you push a loot respawn cycle on your server or set your loot to respawn in terms of a SP game.

Then download it from pz-mod.net. And don't have them get the update until you are ready. Or better yet if they download the new version they should not delete the old version until you update. It would be exactly the same as if you had a download link of your own.

Love the mod.  I have a question and a suggestion.

How do you use the compass and the map?  I have equipped them and set locations and waypoints but I can't figure out how it leads me to a particular location.  Any help would be great.

Also, would it be possible to add a command to crafted axes so they can be used to chop down trees?  I know if I stand by them and swing I can cut a tree down but would it be able to make it work like the in-game axe?

Thanks,

They should show you the distance when you have both and map and a compass.

I would like to have a chop menu for them, but I have not figured out how yet. For now just attack trees. They are not as good as a normal axe but they should get the job done.

Then download it from pz-mod.net. And don't have them get the update until you are ready. Or better yet if they download the new version they should not delete the old version until you update. It would be exactly the same as if you had a download link of your own.
That, again, doesn't solve anything. pz-mods.net doesn't keep older versions, just as you don't. I really need an archive of the previous version or two so new players can play on the server while they wait for it to be updated.

Honestly, after having a 100 chunks nullified during the update, I'm more tempted to just remove hydrocraft entirely. Whether it was actually updating the mod to 3.4 or not, we'll probably never know, but the experience has been a disappointing one. The move to 3.2 and 3.3 went fine, however. I'd be interested to know if this happened to anyone else.

That, again, doesn't solve anything. pz-mods.net doesn't keep older versions, just as you don't. I really need an archive of the previous version or two so new players can play on the server while they wait for it to be updated.

Honestly, after having a 100 chunks nullified during the update, I'm more tempted to just remove hydrocraft entirely. Whether it was actually updating the mod to 3.4 or not, we'll probably never know, but the experience has been a disappointing one. The move to 3.2 and 3.3 went fine, however. I'd be interested to know if this happened to anyone else.

You should talk to ModdedTibby at New Dawn server. They have been using the mod for awhile now and they seem to be fine updating. Maybe he has some tips and insight on keeping a server running while dealing with the mod updating.

So, that's a no then? That is a shame, because your mod pack is quite extensive.

2. Hydrocraft Update

Hydrocraft hit with a new update later earlier this week that caused a slight bump in the road on the server. It seems that players that had bark or had containers with that item, it caused the player to corrupt or the chunk containing the crate to regenerate back to normal. Any players who had their base damaged we are going to rebuild it for you.

From just last month on ModdedTibby's forum. It appears similar to what just happened with 3.4 on the Redboid server.

Sorry Hydro, I think it'd be better for us to move on then, but I'll see what the community says.

That was the bark last time that caused the error. This time it was Ants that caused the problem. This is in the "WIP" section for a reason, While I try to avoid errors and bugs they happen and will happen. It's the risk you take when playing a mod that is in development. Just like how PZ is a game currently in development.

In the first post (and on steam) I clear state ...

Hydrocraft is a mod based around crafting and filling in the empty world of zomboid with more stuff. It is inspired by survival crafting games like Haven and Hearth. It is very much a WIP and will be tweaked and added onto. Please try it out and let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions/ideas.