Hydrocraft Mod

Hydromancerx

4 minutes ago, swissheart said:

I guess I just can't picture myself weaving baskets or breeding dogs in a zombie apocalypse. Not to even mention Gem Cutting but I haven't played that long, maybe these gems are used for something? And of course I don't need to do any of those things but it is still overwhelming to go through all these hundreds of extra items that I cannot even find use for. 

Don't get me wrong. I like Hydrocraft. I like everything that has to do with food, farming, kitchen, and music. 

Basket Weaving, Dog Breeding and Gem Cutting you don't have to do if you do not want to. All the Hydrocraft crafting stuff is optional and if you don't want to get into crafting you do not have to.

As for the hundreds of extra items, well that just the nature of the apocalypse. You think if the apocalypse really happened you would find guns and first aid kits everywhere? No you would find toys, tampons and other "useless" items. However Hydrocraft puts a spin on this and allows you to "Macgyver" your way out of the apocalypse. That useless tampon, guess what it can be used for gauze. And that toy robot, well it has electronic parts you can use.

1 minute ago, Hydromancerx said:

Basket Weaving, Dog Breeding and Gem Cutting you don't have to do if you do not want to. All the Hydrocraft crafting stuff is optional and if you don't want to get into crafting you do not have to.

As for the hundreds of extra items, well that just the nature of the apocalypse. You think if the apocalypse really happened you would find guns and first aid kits everywhere? No you would find toys, tampons and other "useless" items. However Hydrocraft puts a spin on this and allows you to "Macgyver" your way out of the apocalypse. That useless tampon, guess what it can be used for gauze. And that toy robot, well it has electronic parts you can use.

I know, I get this whole point. It's just overwhelming in a game.

6 minutes ago, Leond said:

If nobody else is on this I can start working on it. feel free to let me know what items you wish had a description to them on the wiki and I'll add them to the list.

Personally I would like in game "guides" you could make that gives the description of the recipes in a book.

something like this:

recipe Study Battery Textbook {
        Notebook,
        Keep Pen,
        Keep HCBookbattery
        Result:HCNotesBattery,
        Time:40.0
     }

Then when you use the notebook it's makes a window with descriptions for the items you can make from that book.

My group however has a library in our base so we could easily keep those guides organized not sure if this would be useful for other people especially if it's being added to the wiki

Then that takes away the self discovery. Half the fun of Hydrocraft is discovering new recipes. I don't know how many times i have seen player discover something new and say "Oh i did not know I could do that!" Take real notes if you need to. Hydrocraft is all about surviving smarter. Those that know how to craft better will benefit from it the most. This is the real life skills you gain from it.

2 minutes ago, swissheart said:

I know, I get this whole point. It's just overwhelming in a game.

It is suppose to be. You are not suppose to understand everything the first play through. Over time playing you discover more tricks and recipes and how to play better. It is adding a "crafting puzzle" to the game to allow players to shape the world to benefit them. Stick in there and you will be rewarded as you discover more.

3 minutes ago, Hydromancerx said:

It is suppose to be. You are not suppose to understand everything the first play through. Over time playing you discover more tricks and recipes and how to play better. It is adding a "crafting puzzle" to the game to allow players to shape the world to benefit them. Stick in there and you will be rewarded as you discover more.

maybe it just isn't for noobs like me. i ll pick it up again in a month or so :)

5 minutes ago, Hydromancerx said:

Then that takes away the self discovery. Half the fun of Hydrocraft is discovering new recipes. I don't know how many times i have seen player discover something new and say "Oh i did not know I could do that!" Take real notes if you need to. Hydrocraft is all about surviving smarter. Those that know how to craft better will benefit from it the most. This is the real life skills you gain from it.

That is fair enough. I do like figuring out how everything works together. 

On 2016-07-28 at 11:56 PM, Shoobalou said:

I don't know why it won't let me remove this quote thing. Y'all may not be able to see it after i post but as i typed this i could see me trying to quote someone i didn't wish to quote. This is for Robshaw mostly.

I have put in over 2300 hours into project zomboid and most of it all being hydrocraft. I enjoy it quite a lot so before you decide to make assumptions know what your saying atleast. I was pointing out for me personally after seeing hydrocraft for a long time a problem i been seeing with the mod. In no way do i hate it. I didn't come up with a solution since everyone in this game likes to create some of the items. 

When i first saw hydrocraft i saw it as a way that the game brought more realism. I really enjoy that factor. The ultimate problem being the OP nature of some of the items which as he stated has attempted to remedy via balancing. 

He has done this. Anchoring of items. Safes. The lowering of the capacity of the Ox cart and changed recipe.

Before the changes to the Oxcart you literally got wrecked by someone who had several in there inventory and took everything.

That is no longer possibly due to the multiple changes to the mod.

A good bit of the more advanced items i find absurd such as blast furnace Recharge station steam hammer large junkyard. 

I don't mind them in the least but i just find it silly a person in an apocalyptic setting would say try to make a blast furnace. 

It takes a great deal of skill to construct one and most of the time what a survivor would probably want is just a smelter to recycle any metals they find and reshape into something more useful. Due to the blast furnace being "So essential" to most players to continue the ladder up on the hydrocrafting list the only fix i can see for this is either a more advanced recipe or to make it an admin spawn only item and for it to be anchored and unmovable item that admin teams place throughout the world. 

The recharging station looks a bit absurd to me. Thats just an art issue. I could see someone making something along these lines to charge things up so this doesnt bug me. Just a simple art change would probably make me happy. To what i don't know just something that visually looks less absurd.

steam hammer cant really think of a fix but it is necessary for a few things. probably just an art change and make it less absurd. I like making rocket launchers so i really don't mind this past it looks kinda silly. 

To reiterate i enjoy hydrocraft an awful bunch just as of late i see more people just sitting in the woods subsisting of there rabbit hutches cows and such and no need to go out into the world to get resources to keep surviving. The hydrocraft items provide effective infinite resource at next to nothing taking away the challenge of surviving. 

I didnt read any of this and I wont. You would be better off not addressing me to get what you want as I have nothing to do with the creation of this mod. All I do is suggest to the creator to ignore your Cognitive discord.

Edited by Robshaw
Truth can not be stomached by the weak.

2 hours ago, Hydromancerx said:

I love the overwhelming-ness. I love that when i set out to build something like the most advanced mine I find myself working for days and days (in real life) to get the raw components that make the raw components that make the raw components that then finally finally put together the final pieces. Without hydrocraft id have given up on zomboid a long time ago. And achieving all that on an instant death no save game makes it even more gratifying for me.

Just now, swissheart said:

maybe it just isn't for noobs like me. i ll pick it up again in a month or so :)

It really likely isn't. If your first experience with PZ is playing in Hardcore Survival mode with Hydrocraft running, you're probably going to be completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of good resources, marginal resources, raw materials, red-herring items and TFUS (Totally Freaking Useless Stuff, as we call it on our private server) that shows up. You'll go crazy just trying to figure out what to keep...heck I'm a 3- year veteran of Zomboid and on my first playthrough with Hydrocraft my jaw was literally hanging as I ran around trying to grab everything that could be useful. 

Play on easier modes or at least without HC installed for a month or two and come back if the amount of new stuff is frustrating you. I promise you the experience will be a lot more fun and a lot less mind-boggling.

Just now, Hydromancerx said:

And it also gets rid of something that is really glaring in vanilla Zomboid: the fact that your player character either has some kind of survivalist X-ray vision and only sees exactly the items that he/she would immediately find very useful or the former occupants lived at poverty wages.

Here's what I mean: you go into a house and start looking through drawers and cabinets - and there isn't a fifth of the stuff that would be there in real life. Very basic kitchen utensils, no spices besides salt and pepper, ~6 kinds of clothes across the entire town (and no underwear or bras), no toys or comics in the kids' rooms, no umbrellas in a very rainy area, no textbooks or atlases or Bibles on the bookshelves, no vacuum cleaners anywhere...get the picture? Either everyone in Knox County is dirt poor or all the stores around there have a tiny fraction of the variety in goods that you could find at any major chain store in real life. Hydrocraft fixes that, and the only reason it seems overwhelming is because we're used to cupboards almost as bare as Old Mother Hubbard's.

37 minutes ago, Last_Man_Standing said:

Play on easier modes or at least without HC installed for a month or two and come back if the amount of new stuff is frustrating you. I promise you the experience will be a lot more fun and a lot less mind-boggling.

And it also gets rid of something that is really glaring in vanilla Zomboid: the fact that your player character either has some kind of survivalist X-ray vision and only sees exactly the items that he/she would immediately find very useful or the former occupants lived at poverty wages.

Not everyone wants to spend their days searching through useless crap (something Hydro is slowly fixing as more gameplay changes are added), hence the tighter set of items in the vanilla game. Flaw or not, it's done for a specific reason -- making things easier on the player.  It's, identically, the same reason the grid-based inventory was removed. A list of mostly useful items is much simpler and quicker to manage.

I've been wondering if the Hearing Aid restores the players hearing if you have the deaf trait so I tested it out. The hearing aid didn't restore the players hearing but, the console keeps saying "Failed to poll device" so the hearing aid might not work. It could also be the glasses that are failing to work. I hope you can respond to this.

3 hours ago, FRAN6SPECV said:

Another thing !! The hand dolly should be review for the weight reduction it gives !! 50 for a capacity of 170 is not enough i think !!!

If you look at the alice pack which as a much higher reduction and it's a back pack !!

You are pushing the hand dolly though. So 50% is plenty.

1 hour ago, Hydromancerx said:

You are pushing the hand dolly though. So 50% is plenty.

What i mean is that the hand dolly when you put like 8 log you become overweight right away !!! I've try to put 20 yesterday and the game didin'tlet me lift it and i was not at the max capacity whit 20 log !

Edited by FRAN6SPECV

Okay, first off, does this work with the current IWBUMS build? 
And also, Is there a way to turn off or severely limit MRE spawns?
I used to find like 7 large pallets of the bitches and would never again have to search for food. Sucked all the survival aspect out of things and made me have to ignore them to have any challenge to source food. 

6 hours ago, LeetgamerBoi said:

Okay, first off, does this work with the current IWBUMS build? 
And also, Is there a way to turn off or severely limit MRE spawns?
I used to find like 7 large pallets of the bitches and would never again have to search for food. Sucked all the survival aspect out of things and made me have to ignore them to have any challenge to source food. 

1. I don't use IWBUMS anyone since my mod needs to be for the public branch so i don't know. If people know of any issue please let me know. However I probbly cannot do anything to fix it until it goes to the public branch again.

2. Have you tried a new game? A couple updates ago the MRE spawns were put extremely low. However if you have an old save game with areas that were loaded before the chnage was added then your going to still find them in larger numbers. In short if your finding them in warehouses and storage places then you have an old spawn. They do not spawn there anymore.

6 hours ago, FRAN6SPECV said:

What i mean is that the hand dolly when you put like 8 log you become overweight right away !!! I've try to put 20 yesterday and the game didin'tlet me lift it and i was not at the max capacity whit 20 log !

You need to equip the hand dolly in two hands FIRST and then pick up the logs. Don't try to put them in when the cart is on the ground.

Edited by Hydromancerx

2 hours ago, Hydromancerx said:

1. I don't use IWBUMS anyone since my mod needs to be for the public branch so i don't know. If people know of any issue please let me know. However I probbly cannot do anything to fix it until it goes to the public branch again.

2. Have you tried a new game? A couple updates ago the MRE spawns were put extremely low. However if you have an old save game with areas that were loaded before the chnage was added then your going to still find them in larger numbers. In short if your finding them in warehouses and storage places then you have an old spawn. They do not spawn there anymore.

Well, the only issue i can see, is that when the game tries to reload the lua, or exit a save, it locks up and must be closed and reopened. 
That's all i see so far. 
In the IWBUMS thread very recently others have reproduced this issue.