Backpacks having negative effect on character

Kieck

I think it would be nice (and most likely realistic) to give bigger backpacks (duffelbag or hiking bag+) a combat malus (for example swinging speed). That way you would be able to carry more while sacrificing your fighting potential.

Also, to combat dropping bags as soon as you have to deal with a zombie, the dropping action should be longer when compared to smaller bags.

Pardon me if it was suggested before or is planned.

Having too many objects on the backpack already gives the heavy haul moddlet, which slows you down and makes you tire faster, which makes you swing slower and with less speed, which already is quiting a bit of fighting capability taken away.

I don't get how dropping bigger bags is slower, if anything it should be faster, I mean, literally all you do is let go of the bag, and if it is in your back, you just push the handle over your head or let it go down you body, and step out of it with your feet, and bigger mass objects drop faster do to gravity.

Having too many objects on the backpack already gives the heavy haul moddlet, which slows you down and makes you tire faster, which makes you swing slower and with less speed, which already is quiting a bit of fighting capability taken away.

although when you take a "strong" trait it doesn't affect you in any way, not to mention it's harder to swing a baseball bat with a hiking bag on than with your back free

I don't get how dropping bigger bags is slower, if anything it should be faster, I mean, literally all you do is let go of the bag, and if it is in your back, you just push the handle over your head or let it go down you body, and step out of it with your feet, and bigger mass objects drop faster do to gravity.

I believe hiking bags have more than the two basic straps which are on every backpack, hence the slower taking-off time, although that could be balanced with being able to move while taking the backpack off, not to mention the sheer size of hiking bags

although when you take a "strong" trait it doesn't affect you in any way, not to mention it's harder to swing a baseball bat with a hiking bag on than with your back free

I believe hiking bags have more than the two basic straps which are on every backpack, hence the slower taking-off time, although that could be balanced with being able to move while taking the backpack off, not to mention the sheer size of hiking bags

You put your reply inside of your quote.

But anyway, yes, it does affect you, maybe you just didn't notice, but nothing ever affects you until you get the breathless moddlet.

Just because hiking bags have more than 2 straps,doesn't mean they are actually buckled, or even being worn.

Yes, but hiking bags have quick release buckles that do not really add to the time (from experience). To get more into the weeds on the graity thing, the rate at which it falls is due to gravity acceleration which is constant regardless of mass of the object.  The weight you feel in heavier objects is due to the amount of force required to make an object move at that constant speed.

In General Relativity, gravity  is a function of space and time which is a function of the radiation and matter in the environment. In the bowling ball feather example, the only reason the feather falls slower is due to matter in the environment (EG air). If you dropped a bowling ball and a feather in a vacuum, they fall at the same rate.

EDIT: So, in theory the small backpack would possibly fall slower than the heavy one due to air resistance. However, the difference (especially between back and ground) would be so negligible as to be non-existent.

Eh, 3-4 buckles can take longer to undo, particularly if you have quite a bit of weight and the straps cinched tight. Used to hike my weekly groceries home. :-D

3-4 straps?! what kind of backpacking backpack do you have?

Mine had one across the chest and one at the waist.

I am trying to imagine where else it would buckle...

I think the greatest issue that would arise would be the off-balancing that would happen with a laden backpack. Though again it would not come from the backpack itself but the amout of stuff carried therein. Also, that would be hard to implement/show in game.

Upper chest, lower chest, then one on each shoulder. The should straps had 2-3 inches of give when unbuckled. Made it quite easy to get on/off.

No idea of the model; tossed it out when I moved, as it was on its last legs.

Oh I guess when I was thinking straps I was thinking buckles... The chest buckle, and waist buckle then the two shoulder straps, yes. I still stand by in a pinch you can get those off pretty quick.

Also, to get into nitpicky mode here, you can use the hiking backpack without the buckles. It would be hellishly uncomfortable with heavier weights, but that would also cut down on the time required to drop it.

Again, as iterated before, it is not the bag itself (or its buckles ;) )but the function of weight that would slow things down which is already taken into account by the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps maybe not just combat be affected but stealth also. In my mind it would be easier sneaking with just a schoolbag or smallish backpack vs a hiking bag because of the larger profile or more zips and stuff clinking. Also it would be more cumbersome and a nuisance when getting low, pressing against walls and all that sneaky jazz. 

Hmm, Cataclysm DDA uses a system like this to penalise backpack use, and I found it mostly irritating. PZ has a true container system in place, so it can impose a more realistic penalty on use of containers - having to unpack them to use things inside them, as Jack noted.

a Stop unpacking / picking up / dropping items button would be pretty kickass however because I have serious problems with only wanting 10 shotgun shells and getting the full 40 instead.

This-this, this-this-this, THIS, THIS! THIS!

well anyway i agree that it gets annoying but there inst an easier way that i have thought of. If you can think of one go ahead.

It's pretty simple. Just have an option in the menu pop up as you're grabbing multiple units of the same thing. Something like a "stop picking up" switch, that goes away when you've picked up all the items of that type, i.e a pile of 9mm bullets.

You can just walk away. It'll break the action.

Snip

You can just walk away. It'll break the action.
Not applicable to every situation, good sir! What if you're taking ammunition out of your bag, from a pile? Walking will not stop you, you take out everything.
Hm, that'd be a pretty easy fix. Just one variable has to be changed in the initialization function of the action.

Go to Media\Lua and find ISInventoryTransferAction.lua

Find the line o.stopOnWalk = ((not o.destContainer:isInCharacterInventory(o.character)) or (not o.srcContainer:isInCharacterInventory(o.character))) and (o.destContainer:getType() ~= "floor");

Change it all that stuff after the equals sign to true.

Mind, it looks like that's there to prevent you from ditching someone halfway through a trade, but since that's not in yet . . . go nuts. Will see if I can't find a stack of items to test it on to be sure . . .

Works.

Having a bit of difficulty navigating to this file. Where's it at, exactly?

ProgramFiles\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\media\Lua\client\TimedActions is where i found it, but i did not dig into it that deep cause i don't speak Lua and don't want to screw things up. you should probably make a back up of the file, just in case