Bodily Damage/Sickness

Demonic_Kat

So from the nutrition section we've spawned some new ideas about sickness, which made me think of bodily damage as well.

There are already signs of broken limbs in our health screens, however they don't debilitate us as much as they should. Also they heal MUCH quicker than they should. How long should a broken arm or leg have to be set though? In single player a broken limb would be a death sentence.

Sickness is another issue. Rain doesn't cause sickness! Cold doesn't cause sickness! They can sometimes facilitate sickness, weaken your body, but they don't cause it.

People get sick mostly from catching sickness from other people. Also from touching infected items. I think the game should reflect that.

So from the nutrition section we've spawned some new ideas about sickness, which made me think of bodily damage as well.

There are already signs of broken limbs in our health screens, however they don't debilitate us as much as they should. Also they heal MUCH quicker than they should. How long should a broken arm or leg have to be set though? In single player a broken limb would be a death sentence.

Sickness is another issue. Rain doesn't cause sickness! Cold doesn't cause sickness! They can sometimes facilitate sickness, weaken your body, but they don't cause it.

People get sick mostly from catching sickness from other people. Also from touching infected items. I think the game should reflect that.

I'm going to have to disagree with that, currently you can outwalk zombies, so moving far enough to find something used as a walking stick or crutch isn't impossible.  Not to say it isn't dangerous.

And getting a single broken arm is obviously easier to survive with unless you're using guns or something.

I think that getting actual breaks shouldn't happen unless you cause repeated damage to one area,

Say you injure your arm while bashing a zomb with an axe, so your arm is now hurt, then after that it gets a window closed on it, it would be more likely to develop a break.

Otherwise, I completely agree with you.

In single player a broken limb would be a death sentence.

You'd think, but ignoring the pain of it, if you're able to get away and care for it in an adequate manner, there's no reason the game should arbitrarily kill you (probably not what you meant, but I'd like to head that argument off :P).

You may get away with a broken arm, you guys are right. I suppose it depends on the severity. When you think about it realistically though, how many people know how to properly set an arm by themselves.

If you take out the upper limbs, a broken leg is often utterly useless, especially if you can't cast/boot it. You may be able to walk away from Z's but could you limp away in severe pain? I broke my ankle once when I was younger, and it took 2+ months to heal while casted. The first few weeks were extremely painful and I didn't move much.

I couldn't imagine trying to farm or get away from Z's on a leg like that.

Also Grey, you were right, I wasn't being literal about that. Funny though. :D

You may get away with a broken arm, you guys are right. I suppose it depends on the severity. When you think about it realistically though, how many people know how to properly set an arm by themselves.

If you take out the upper limbs, a broken leg is often utterly useless, especially if you can't cast/boot it. You may be able to walk away from Z's but could you limp away in severe pain? I broke my ankle once when I was younger, and it took 2+ months to heal while casted. The first few weeks were extremely painful and I didn't move much.

I couldn't imagine trying to farm or get away from Z's on a leg like that.

Also Grey, you were right, I wasn't being literal about that. Funny though. :D

Depends on the person: mom was able to get around quite well with a broken ankle (even drove standard with the cast a few days later); neighbor fell and broke her hip, but managed to drag herself far enough to get help.

Different types of breaks can also be load-bearing, if painful. But yeah, it's not a very practical situation to exist in. :( This is where your survival really should depend on preparation: a well stocked go-bag, a stockpile of food and meds in your hideout .etc

A friend of the family broke his arm doing "something," (carpenter) and ended up setting and binding it himself, instead of going to the hospital. As far as I know, it didn't ultimately maim him, but . . . he did it. :-|

Ug... I can't imagine trying to set my own arm.

So.... There's not enough health gauges for this train of thought! I imagine a skilled medic (in the upcoming patches) would be able to accurately determine what needed to be done in a situation of a break.

I guess the same would apply for disease. However unless you've got medical background, I would think it would be incredibly hard to diagnose/treat diseases. It takes doctors years of training and years of experience... most of us only live in game for a few months (I know I should have hit the year mark by now but I just... can't.. stop... dying..).

Perhaps a doctor job should be available in the list.