The Future of PZ

Rathlord

Update: Adding in color coded tags for how long I think each phase should take!

[short]: These should around 1 week to implement

[Medium]: These should take between 1 and 2 weeks

[Long]: These will take longer than 2 weeks

Without further ado this is (in the chronological order I think they should be added) my list of steps to go into the future of Project Zomboid!

<The rest of this stuff is to long to quote

Nice, yeah i definitely agree NPC's should now be a priority since steam is done and dusted!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to suggest cleaning wounds to your medical overhaul as I think it plays a big role in mundane infections. Maybe if you use a wet towel to clean the wound or wash under a sink before applying/changing bandage, you would cut down the chance of mundane infections. In extreme cases you could use liquor or rubbing alcohol but with extreme pain and slower healing of the wound. (Applying alcohol to a wound actually kills your cells that are trying to repair the wound, thus slowing down the healing process.)

Offtopic

This would be especially important if something like the hygiene system we discussed about would get implemented.

EDIT: the cleaning should only be needed to do once after the scratch/bite, as to avoid micro management.

Added Spaniard's peaking change.

It annoys me greatly that the wrong 'peaking' is used throughout your OP.

Looking through a window cautiously would be 'peeking' (having a peek through the window), as opposed to 'peaking' which would be reaching a high-point or the best point it could go to - so peaking a window would actually imply opening it (especially if it was those 'slide up' ones).

Peaking a window is not really a phrase often used, however peeking through a window is a pretty common action.

Added Spaniard's peaking change.

It annoys me greatly that the wrong 'peaking' is used throughout your OP.

Looking through a window cautiously would be 'peeking' (having a peek through the window), as opposed to 'peaking' which would be reaching a high-point or the best point it could go to - so peaking a window would actually imply opening it (especially if it was those 'slide up' ones).

Peaking a window is not really a phrase often used, however peeking through a window is a pretty common action.

Stupid, ridiculously complex English language!  :P

That's in my OP? What the fuck… will edit that later. I know that peek has two "e's" in this usage. If I'm honest, though, I think I copied that from the devs directly (along with a coupla other parts) so that's probably why. Regardless, will fix it after work and I appreciate the correction.

I think all of this is a good idea but maybe you should shorten the list because the devs said they dont want anything that would cause major changes but I think this is very good. Oh and for the hunting thing i think they should add bows and arrows maybe even crossbows to make the hunting feel more realistic or maybe even add hunting rifles.

The game is in alpha! The whole idea is to add a bunch of new things.

I have no idea where you got that quote from but if it is real you probably took it out of context.

• 2 weeks later...

As a Kentuckian, a few remarks on your hunting and predators:
1: We also have cougars and wildcats, and plenty of them. They're just smart and avoid people as they know in the area, humans = guns and that means death, so we don't ever have them attacking people, no stories of a cougar and a family's German Shephard duking it out in the backyard over the children. Only ever hunters that have close calls with them. It wouldn't feel right to be a Kentucky hunter stalking a deer without the danger of a cougar waiting in a tree to steal your kill.
2. Squirrels are as common as the rabbits. Big ones too, Fox Squirrels and they get to be the size of average house cats lol.
3. We also have some game birds, most commonly hunted is Duck and Pheasant, but the game doesn't have to go that route, just thought I add it.

As a Kentuckian, a few remarks on your hunting and predators:

1: We also have cougars and wildcats, and plenty of them. They're just smart and avoid people as they know in the area, humans = guns and that means death, so we don't ever have them attacking people, no stories of a cougar and a family's German Shephard duking it out in the backyard over the children. Only ever hunters that have close calls with them. It wouldn't feel right to be a Kentucky hunter stalking a deer without the danger of a cougar waiting in a tree to steal your kill.

2. Squirrels are as common as the rabbits. Big ones too, Fox Squirrels and they get to be the size of average house cats lol.

3. We also have some game birds, most commonly hunted is Duck and Pheasant, but the game doesn't have to go that route, just thought I add it.

Good to have someone with knowledge of the area on board.

• 1 month later...

"Sewers- Sewers run under the main parts of the Muldraugh streets (and any other cities that are added). They mostly just lead around the town with perhaps one or two leading out into the country. These would likely have the occasional zed in them, only having a lot of a manhole cover has been left open somewhere. Manhole covers taken ~30 seconds (real time) to open depending on character strength, so it's not a quick getaway type thing."

All the zombies that spawn around open manholes should be crawler types!! Can you imagine? A cramped sewer tunnel... ten crawlers... all facing your direction? Your chances of making it past that are pretty much zero without a firearm.

Edit: they should be crawlers because it would be assumed that they fell into the manhole. This wasn't very clear in my original post.

• 6 months later...

I really really want the devs to work on the iso revolution :'( All I want right now is npc's, New clothing, And a brand new, Very smexy wilderness, With fallen trees and tons of awesome things. Does anybody think they will do this? I love wilderness in games and PZ just doesn't have it.

It's been confirmed for a long time that they would want to amp up the wilderness. You don't really have to bring it up in every topic related to that. It will happen when it happens. It's not on the 1.0 list so don't wait for it to happen immediately.

Here's a link.

Wilderness 2.0 – Proper trees, with canopies, river banks, hills and sloped terrain. As we add more survivalist features to the game we want to make the wilderness truly interesting and diverse.

I really really want the devs to work on the iso revolution :'( All I want right now is npc's, New clothing, And a brand new, Very smexy wilderness, With fallen trees and tons of awesome things. Does anybody think they will do this? I love wilderness in games and PZ just doesn't have it.

It's been confirmed for a long time that they would want to amp up the wilderness. You don't really have to bring it up in every topic related to that. It will happen when it happens. It's not on the 1.0 list so don't wait for it to happen immediately.

Here's a link.

Wilderness 2.0 – Proper trees, with canopies, river banks, hills and sloped terrain. As we add more survivalist features to the game we want to make the wilderness truly interesting and diverse.

I know, it's just one of the main features I want to see in pz. And i've already seen that btw ;D

Rath - I like this roadmap and would include on more feature: Tutorial Overhaul.

I'm hesitant to call it would it would more precisely be: a quest system. This wouldn't be a quest system in the traditional rpg sense. But the framework behind the scenes would be similar, and moddable. I think the original vanilla use of the quest system would be to provide hints and tips to players.

As currently designed, PZ relies on players using out of game information to survive/thrive. There are no in game directions for skill use nor in game recipes. There are no in game maps for players to find. Nor even guidance for dealing with zombies. A non-linear quest system providing hints and tips would deepen immersion and reduce the neccessity to use outside programs/websites for help.

I realize this somewhat conflicts with the idea of a sandbox game based on realism. A hint like "Saws are often found in warehouses" cuts against the common sense realism to which PZ strives. Common sense suggests if you need to find books, you best look on bookshelves in homes and find libraries and bookstores. I don't think the tutorial/quest needs to be dumbed down that much.

Ideally, the in game quest/tutorial would require the use of player inference. Instead of spawning detailed maps around Muldraugh, maps should be in areas one might find a map - abandoned vehicle, gas station, book store, library, city hall. The maps should not be detailed at all, perhaps just a rough outline of the town. In every instance, the player would be forced to "read between the lines" or deduce what's needed. A gas grill might have: "Warning - Make sure grill is set in the off position before attaching propane tank." Newbie players should be able to deduce two things from this - you can turn a grill on and attach a propane tank to it.

If you ever played the old Kate and Baldspot tutorial, it was just what you wanted; it guided you through all the basics of crafting and cooking. It will be re-added when the NPC's come back, and will probably be the base "start point" of the Story (still a non-linear, non-planned story after the start) mode, with perhaps a "skip" feature.

An in-game map of the type you're suggesting is also played, like the kind you'd find at gas stations in real life- no "you are here" marker or anything. So we'll hopefully be seeing both of those in the future!