Maska_zgz

This mod is simply amazing, I have no idea how I didn't stumble on it back in the day.

All it needs is a number of pages fix, so books aren't 1 page each, and some kind of script so you get the boredom reduction with each read page. And a "numbers read" counter when you finish a single book that gives a slightly smaller boredom reduction after re-reading.

Seriously, the literature overhaul in the vanilla game is a must, and this here gets as close to making that dream possible as it can get. Really hope to see how the version shapes up. Great work!

• 1 month later...

"Agatha Christie - Ten Little Niggers"

k....then.....

it's real though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None#Publication_and_book_title_history

I know, and whoever wrote that needs a brain transplant.

It was written a long time ago-- In other countries it sometimes goes by that name, but mostly it's since been retitled. The author Agatha Christie died in 1976 after suffering from Alzheimer's.

Was she a little racist? Yes and no; Agatha Christie chose the title of her masterpiece by naming it after a popular song at the time that shared some of the themes of her book.

Was she a good writer? Yes-- the book is regarded as one of the best mystery novels ever written.

Was it a poor decision to name it what she did? Yes. At the time of publication the word was already falling out of favor in America and several other countries. It was still commonplace in England however.

Was it a poor decision to put it in the mod with the original title? Yeah. It was an offensive title back in it's time, it's still offensive today-- But most of all it would be RARE to find that particular iteration of the book, old title and all in 1980s-1990's Muldraugh, Kentucky.

Final Verdict.

A word is a word; it gets slung around everyday with no one realizing what kind of connotations it has-- but what is more important than those connotations and associations is THE INTENT the speaker/writer has for the word. If you're using a word to belittle or oppress an entire race of people-- it's still not bad; the person is. Agatha Christie wasn't a bad person-- she was an author. The person who put her work in the mod was working with a list of books and probably didn't realize that someone might be offended-- or maybe he thought he was adding in a sort of literature easter egg/gag. But the intent was not harmful.

"Agatha Christie - Ten Little Niggers"

k....then.....

it's real though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None#Publication_and_book_title_history

I know, and whoever wrote that needs a brain transplant.

It was written a long time ago-- In other countries it sometimes goes by that name, but mostly it's since been retitled. The author Agatha Christie died in 1976 after suffering from Alzheimer's.

Was she a little racist? Yes and no; Agatha Christie chose the title of her masterpiece by naming it after a popular song at the time that shared some of the themes of her book.

Was she a good writer? Yes-- the book is regarded as one of the best mystery novels ever written.

Was it a poor decision to name it what she did? Yes. At the time of publication the word was already falling out of favor in America and several other countries. It was still commonplace in England however.

Was it a poor decision to put it in the mod with the original title? Yeah. It was an offensive title back in it's time, it's still offensive today-- But most of all it would be RARE to find that particular iteration of the book, old title and all in 1980s-1990's Muldraugh, Kentucky.

Final Verdict.

A word is a word; it gets slung around everyday with no one realizing what kind of connotations it has-- but what is more important than those connotations and associations is THE INTENT the speaker/writer has for the word. If you're using a word to belittle or oppress an entire race of people-- it's still not bad; the person is. Agatha Christie wasn't a bad person-- she was an author. The person who put her work in the mod was working with a list of books and probably didn't realize that someone might be offended-- or maybe he thought he was adding in a sort of literature easter egg/gag. But the intent was not harmful.

I realized that :P . leaves to look for plagirized content

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm getting this errors:

Loading: C:/Users/franc/Zomboid/mods/Literature/media/lua/client/TimedActions/BookChanges.lua-------------------------------------------------------------attempted index: getInventory of non-table: null-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: perform -- file: BookChanges.lua line # 5function: BookChanges.lua -- file: BookChanges.lua line # 19java.lang.RuntimeException: attempted index: getInventory of non-table: null        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.tableget(KahluaThread.java:1549)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:623)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1727)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)        at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:63)        at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.protectedCall(LuaCaller.java:77)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.RunLua(LuaManager.java:630)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.RunLua(LuaManager.java:576)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:460)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:381)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:500)        at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.exit(IngameState.java:701)        at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:105)        at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:619)        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1173)        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:974)        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:173)-----------------------------------------STACK TRACE-----------------------------------------function: perform -- file: BookChanges.lua line # 5function: BookChanges.lua -- file: BookChanges.lua line # 19feb 10, 2016 2:04:13 AM zombie.Lua.LuaManager RunLuaGRAVE: nullfeb 10, 2016 2:04:13 AM zombie.Lua.LuaManager RunLuaGRAVE: nulljava.lang.RuntimeException:        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaUtil.fail(KahluaUtil.java:91)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.luaMainloop(KahluaThread.java:1285)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.call(KahluaThread.java:163)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1727)        at se.krka.kahlua.vm.KahluaThread.pcall(KahluaThread.java:1642)        at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.pcall(LuaCaller.java:63)        at se.krka.kahlua.integration.LuaCaller.protectedCall(LuaCaller.java:77)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.RunLua(LuaManager.java:630)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.RunLua(LuaManager.java:576)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:460)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:381)        at zombie.Lua.LuaManager.LoadDirBase(LuaManager.java:500)        at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.exit(IngameState.java:701)        at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.update(GameStateMachine.java:105)        at zombie.GameWindow.logic(GameWindow.java:619)        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1173)        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:974)        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:173)feb 10, 2016 2:04:13 AM zombie.Lua.LuaManager RunLuaGRAVE: null

I'm using modloader and hydrocraft for v33.20.

NOTE: my recipe books get duplicated on multiplayer, when I read from a container

Edited by francogp

I'm getting this errors:

NOTE: my recipe books get duplicated on multiplayer, when I read from a container

you can't just grab any old mod and expect it to work properly, many mods have not been worked on for quite a while and are likely to have issues with the newest builds. take time to read the thread and see when the most recent update was performed by the mod maker or someone who updated it.

I'm getting this errors:

you can't just grab any old mod and expect it to work properly, many mods have not been worked on for quite a while and are likely to have issues with the newest builds. take time to read the thread and see when the most recent update was performed by the mod maker or someone who updated it.

I already know that.... it's expected. I'm just reporting the error.

• 2 years later...

"Project Zomboid" is set in the early 1990s AD. A lot of these books didn't exist then. (George Martin's "Game of Thrones" series, for example, started, IIRC, at the very end of the nineties.)

Indeed, I was in the second grade when the first "Harry Potter" book came out. I read the whole thing, and I hated it.

Edited by TurtleShroom

• 6 months later...