objects.lua for current maps

Dr_Cox1911

I really want to start a MP-server with a custom map, preferable  the map Vine Grove, but unfortunately all the current user maps don´t have a objects.lua for all the zonend features like trapping and foraging.

The content of this file is pretty straightforward and I think I got the system, but it looks like a real pain in the arse to do this job manually with a coord-viewer ingame.

Long story short: Is there a quick way to define these zones?

Not that I know of. :( I would have loved to add them and iirc I've asked for a tools update so we could do this, but so far I think the devs have been busier on other more important stuff.

And yay for Vine Grove! :D

Edited by Suomiboi

The zones are added in WorldEd using the "Create Object (O)" tool.

The  "Object Types..." and "Object Groups..." menu commands in the World menu are used to define the zones.

It is probably easier to just open the .pzw file in a text editor and paste this in, after the <bmp path= ..." line:

<objecttype name="TownZone"/> <objecttype name="Forest"/> <objecttype name="DeepForest"/> <objecttype name="Nav"/> <objecttype name="Vegitation"/> <objecttype name="TrailerPark"/> <objecttype name="Farm"/> <objectgroup name="TownZone" color="#aa0000" defaulttype="TownZone"/> <objectgroup name="Forest" color="#00aa00" defaulttype="Forest"/> <objectgroup name="Nav" color="#55aaff" defaulttype="Nav"/> <objectgroup name="DeepForest" color="#003500" defaulttype="DeepForest"/> <objectgroup name="Vegitation" color="#b3b300" defaulttype="Vegitation"/> <objectgroup name="TrailerPark" color="#f50000" defaulttype="TrailerPark"/> <objectgroup name="Farm" color="#55ff7f" defaulttype="Farm"/>
RJ did all the zones, apparently a bit of a pain due to having to zoom out so far.

Sorry for this stupid question EP, but I never used the mapping tools for a descent amount of times. Am I correct that this zoning is done manually? Looking at the objects.lua from Muldraugh only rectangle-shapes are possible, wouldn´t it be possible to create a third picture just like the zombie-distribution one for this zoning?

The zones are added manually in WorldEd using the Create Object tool. It's just drawing out rectangles.

It might be possible to use an image for zones, but Mash/Andy will sometimes add new roads that aren't in the original BMP files. That would make it difficult to go back and update the zones-image with the new road.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I´m at the zoning-process right now, but I could use some more help.

What are the zones "Nav" and "Vegitation" for?

EDIT: And what happens if two zones overlap each other?

Yea I'd also like to know too; New Denver needs to be zoned accordingly, and if I can overlap zones, it'd save me alot of time.

• 11 months later...

The zones are added manually in WorldEd using the Create Object tool. It's just drawing out rectangles.

It might be possible to use an image for zones, but Mash/Andy will sometimes add new roads that aren't in the original BMP files. That would make it difficult to go back and update the zones-image with the new road.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but I would kill to have a zone definition map to define forest, vegetation, etc.  It would make quick work of large swaths of definitions to large maps.  In my sense, I'd rather not have to define several hundred cells of forest and deep forest individually as it would be painfully repetitive.