Suggestion for after death

Hmmsphil

I really enjoy playing this game. I feel that it's more realistic than the others so far. I do hope it stays that direction. 

I wanted to leave a suggestion here that I feel will keep the game the same but change it drastically.

I am currently on day 24 and feel like a champ. I am with a few friends on the redditgaming.us server, stationed at Dreadwood Manor. We've got a pretty good camp. Food, we're farming, Some people stop by and supply us and some take supplies to survive.

What I would like to suggest is when we die we become a playable zombie. If we are able to become a zombie and attack actual players; the game doesn't feel so close ended. I feel the perks of the zombie should be realistic but maybe some sort of simple leveling system with that as well, or possibly a different zombie difficulty based on the original survival time before death.

I would really like to see this mod or this new feature because I feel the duration of the game-play would be drastically increased but also give more motivations to create a new character.

Thank you.

I can't see how playing as a zombie can fit in the game. In my opinion, if you want a realistic game, once you die, you should stay dead (meaning your character may become a zombie, but no longer be "PC"). If you come back as a playable zombie, you must act like the rest of the zombies to be realistic(meaning that if all the zombies act the same way, they all must act the same way, no exceptions if there arent special zombies): If they move to a sound when they hear it, you must move there too; if they can't see/hear a survivor who is in the other side of a road, you too; and if they don't wait for the survivors to get out their safehouse, get into the safehouse and hide in the bathroom until they come back to kill them while they sleep, you can't do it.

Playing as a zombie, given that terms, would be as extremely boring, as you will be waiting and moving randomly until something gets your attention.

Thanks for your input but playing as a zombie would be ideal to the different zombie games already out. We can discuss intimate features making each game different but that's off subject.

I am not suggesting that the zombies change any of their game play mechanics. Simply if "Hmmsphil" was to perish, "Hmmsphil" would turn be playable as a zombie. If you don't find perks in being a zombie and hunting down survivors; I implore you to check out Left 4 Dead 2. Perks could be added to that zombie by survival time but that again is interpretations to a simple idea.

Though scenarios can be discussed; once you perish and turn into a zombie, your game still has the same results of surviving. This game has no point but surviving as long as you can. Period.  Adding this element to where you turn into a zombie gives the world a more diverse game-play while remaining true to it's "no cure" difficulty.

This improves the play-ability of the game itself regardless of how clunky the zombie could control. 

Thank you.

The thing is, Project Zomboid it's not Left 4 Dead. The main difference in this topic is Left 4 Dead have special zombies, while project zomboid has only one type of zombies (they may be faster or slower, but none of them have special habilities like the L4D). Think of playing L4D as a common zombie, not a charger or a spitter, but a common zombie that is atracted to boomer bile like the rest. Playing that would be interesting? I really don't think so.

I'm not saying that the idea does not fit in a game, what I'm saying is, in my opinion, if you are going to have some zombies acting in an very inteliget way (because players are, usually, smarter than zombies and NPCs), you should have some chance to find that kind of zombie without having a player controlling it. That way you are mantaining the realism because it's not made for the player, its a chance for all zombies to be that way, like finding a smoker controlled by the AI in a versus mode.

I'm sure it is a good idea for a mod, but if there isn't special zombies when no players are controlling zombies, there shouldn't be special zombies when players are controlling them.

A good idea would be to keep watching your character even after the "you survived X days" message, but you dont have control of your (now zombified) character apart from the zoom in/out, instead he would be a nromal zombie controlled by the ai. So you can see what happens to his zombified self, perhaps after 10 mins, someone comes and kills him or he kills someone or he just keeps wandering until he ends up in  a house or in a strange/fun place. And you can exit at any moment by pressing escape.

Yep, just in my recent post in general discussion, I found observing hordes after they killed me to be really fun, let alone any thought about watching my zombified self wander around to every gun shot and actually hunt survivors with other zombies. Playing as a zombie as a sandbox option, maybe, can end up fun and I, personally, would play the shit out of it, but it doesn't seem like the idea that sits fine with majority of this game's fans, so it's probably unlikely that this is going to be added :P

I understand.

I am not saying anything about having different forms of zombies, I had brought up Left 4 Dead because a popular preference is more players would rather play zombie than a survivor. It's that flexibility that would be nice to have implemented. This is my perspective.

Your goal of the game is to survive. You can not win in this game. The only achievement you will get is based off your survival time. You can add features into a game, amputation; whatever, but it's not going to change the fact there isn't a cure. Your end game is survival period. Your survival time is your self-accomplishment. Once you lose all your levels, whatever, you are finished to start again. The game should feel open ended based off it's realism.

In "real life" if you were to actually turn into a zombie, you would turn into a shuffling "stupid" zombie. This makes the game open ended. You aren't "dead" but you are a "zombie." This is the strife of survival; you want to be alive, NOT a zombie. That is the standing concept of the game as I have personally understood. This is the full scale of its desired realism.

A lot of this game is waiting or preparing. Your down time is extensive; especially if it is raining. I would say 1/5th of your time is being stationary and it is some how enjoyable. What about when a heavy snow hits? 

The intelligence of a zombie shouldn't change and was never intentionally suggested. I have seen zombies climb over fences, run, shuffle, whatever. These are basic mechanics and there is no difference on having a player control their deceased character. They should control like any other zombie.

Why don't you play as him until you're finished or actually dead? So the zombie has sluggish game play; that's the point of the zombie and concept of this game, don't die.

Additionally, I comprehend having a character turn into an NPC-Zombie. I feel this method takes away the intimacy of your character as originally intended. If the player simply chooses not to be a zombie, suggest that option with a button upon being zombified.

Thank you.

The problem is that as soon as a zombie has a human behind it, it is no longer a proper zombie. You may as well be a human character with different animations, different movement speeds and different abilities. Because the point of a zombie is to be dull and have little to no intelligence, adding that makes it more than a zombie, hence the term 'special' zombie. 

I don't really feel it suits the game, and I believe the developers have already stated that it probably wont be in the base game. 

But that said, I have played a zombie survival rouge-like of which the name escapes me, which allowed you to play as your zombified self and it was good fun coordinating attacks against NPC survivors. So while it'd make a fun mod, I don't see it suiting the vanilla version of PZ. 

I like the thought of not controlling yourself as a zombie but being able to watch your zombie self, that would be fun!

I'm sure that used to be a thing. It was before I got the game, but I'm sure I saw that happen when I was watching Dr Gonzo play one of the earlier builds. Fingers crossed it comes back, but not sure how it would track your avatar in multiplayer when you're not logged in.

I like the thought of not controlling yourself as a zombie but being able to watch your zombie self, that would be fun!

You should be able to hears the zombies's thoughts and get some view on their nightlife, when every zombies goes to bed and writes some poems into their diaries before sleep. You will see them celebrate birthdays, grow up, find new friends, getting into relationships and integrating themselves into zombie society. 

The painful question, what would happen to us after death will be gone forever, because we all know our bodies in a much safer and more peaceful world, where we can visit them from time to time. With an Axe.