The Pros and Cons of Safehouse areas

HellBound

This is my first and only safehouse Ive ever made, just has a simple wall around it and a farm on the left hand side.  Im going on 6 months without an issue, no run in with a single zombie yet after the initial slaughtering.

VVxCLMw.jpg

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.40012342628260406,0.23114792943316392,284.8515765597235

Pros:

- Middle of the neighborhood, stores to the north.

- Easily defendable

- Fence already on one side

Cons:

- None that Ive found.

I like some thing away from most of the zombies. But It need to be close so I can raid for food and weapons. I try to pick a place with a upper floor but this dose not always work out.  I like room for garden and a fire pit. And Like the one below a high point to see all around for trouble. The one below is the newest one. I am only a block south of the main street. This put me close to the loot but keep me safe from the zombies. It has enough wood and now food and water. 

This run going on for about 25 days lost both power and water. Water went after only a week. power got me to about 20 days.  This run with insane zombies and rare loot. I am also using one Sustain mod. I do not have to go out much to loot if I did not want to. I can stay locked in my little safe house for some time on what I have.

Safehouse are like any thing location is key. I picked this place and got the zombies to follow me away and then took them out in small groups and the place is mostly clean and zombie free.

safety first

water

food

place to cook(fire pits under the walkway by the door out of the rain)

screenshot_03-11-2014_22-20-17.png

I think i will at some point try a nomad run. keep my toon on the move. only stopping for a few nights to raid the close place and move on. That I might try to work my way all along the map heading north.

• 2 weeks later...

zsR7eBK.jpg

I also use this location a lot. (Ive been experimenting with all the settings so i die a lot :P)

Some tips for the long run if you use this space:

• Obviously build a wall :P just around the warehouse itself at first but later expand around the parking lot.
  • Take advantage of the space! you mentioned the storage space but forgot to mention all the general space! a whole lot of both indoor and outdoor space. The parking lot is a great place to farm especially for a group in multiplayer and the roof is a great place to collect rain and farm in SP.
  • Build a second floor. there isnt really anything except an office and catwalk for a second floor so youll need to build one unfortunately but there are plenty of windows to escape from.

Really the biggest problems i have with this place are:

• The large horde you mentioned that gathers on the highway. It needs to be avoided or dealt with very carefully and you better hope it doesnt follow you home :o
  • There is a fridge but no stove :( So in the early stages you still have to cook over a fire. I usually combat this by keeping all my food that needs to be cooked in the house closest to the warehouse (i also fortify and wall off the house) and do all my cooking there while i still have power.

Building in gated communities like this is also a good idea. One thing that can be done if you can get the supplies is turn the rest of the neighborhood into basically a zombie maze/trap. Build walls around the other houses and if you are followed you can weave through the neighborhood and in and out of the houses and go back to clear them one at a time.

I also really want to get to the mall and see how that plays out. There would be a lot of stores but also a lot of zombies. I think it could possibly be a really good location (most likely better for MP) if you can manage to either quarantine one section at a time or get to the roof from the south stairwell and live up there and work down. Who knows maybe it was closed when the apocalypse happened and theres only a couple janitor zombies inside :P

vQKvs0g.jpg

Twiggys

Pros:

• close to the most important buildings in West Point
  • close to the mall (relatively speaking, still quite far)
  • little to no action (can be a downside)
  • relatively close to fishing spot
  • lots of storing space
  • lots of trees close by

Cons:

• no innate defenses
  • no real bed (no problem atm)
  • far from residential area
  • shortage of nails (I use wooden dowel mod)

What do you think?