RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

hey (bad english incoming)

i dont like the new brightness and colours (sry :oops: ) maybe an option to change it to the old (in the future)?

it's a great game, love to play :geek:

greez from Germany

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/12/we-said-wed-kill-you/

Shader Changes

We’ve made some changes to the shaders on the game to make for a more moody atmosphere, more realistic saturation and moody contrast. We’ve tweaked light and dark levels and made various changes to make PZ look a bit more moody and atmospheric. Okay, perhaps we were slightly inspired by This War Of Mine, but we’ve tried to be subtle in our inspiration. There may be some who don’t like it, but we ask that you give it a fair chance (it took RJ playing for a while before he decided he preferred it to how it was).

Either way, for this IWBUMs we’ve left not choice in the matter, replacing the shaders on to the new shaders. But in the future we’ll look to add different settings for those who prefer the previous more cartoony colouring, and perhaps add a few more visual styles (black and white, vignette etc) since they are really trivial and quick to add. The reason we tweaked this is we felt it was a cheap and quick way we could boost the visuals in the game, make the scene (2D tiles and 3D characters) gel together better, make the world more realistic visually, as well as perhaps reduce the amount of ‘urgh cartoony 2D game’ first impressions that have been one of the biggest barriers to attracting people to the game compared to 3D titles within the same genre.

- I don't like the new kind of exertion, because it isn't sufficiently different from being tired. I know that there are some ingame differences, but they don't make sense to me. I want the player to tire from physical exertion and mental stress, so that he is finally tired and his overall performance both physical and mental drops. So please combine exertion and being tired and just call it tiredness. The new exertion should have different stages like "warmed up", "winded", "exhausted" and have a short time effect and quick recovery. The effects should be the same as being tired.

Finally the character is tired to quickly and it takes way too long to be exhausted.

This is exactly what they're moving away from, though. What you're suggesting- the old exertion-  made no sense at all. No one gets tired after swinging a baseball bat 4 times or running for 14 seconds. No one gets exhausted from jogging for 20 seconds or swinging an axe once. That isn't a thing; it makes no sense.

Being sleepy and being worn out from manual labor are two very different things. Maybe your lifestyle is different from mine, but if you've ever done physical labor in your life you'd understand that sleepy and worn out are completely different things.

Holy Shit on a Shit Sunday Devs! The hordes are BRUTAL!

The new shading makes the game seem so dark(as in artistic atmospheric darkness)!

I made some really stupid mistakes that I learned from, but I only ended up surviving for two days and a half!

I'm going to have to L2P now :(

Or even worse, put zombie numbers on normal :o

Also why do zombies seem like they have eagle vision on?!

I don't remember messing with their vision in sandbox mode

I quite like the darker feeling actually, but maybe it would be possible to have it darker winter times and maybe brighter summer times?

Zombie clumpage... ummm, not really sure about this yet.  I get the feeling they are too clumpy at the moment.  A long with the fact that zombies now seem to be 2 or 3 times tougher than before it makes the starting game seriously challenging.

In addition, zombies seem to detect me now from much further away! (all standard 'proper zombies' setting)

Could I also ask if you've tweaked the rarity settings?  I usually find 'extremly rare' is about right for me, but my first few fresh games so far feels even rarer than before, it was about 6 houses before I found a butter knife.

Its possible I just got particulary unlucky though

I quite like the darker feeling actually, but maybe it would be possible to have it darker winter times and maybe brighter summer times?

Zombie clumpage... ummm, not really sure about this yet.  I get the feeling they are too clumpy at the moment.  A long with the fact that zombies now seem to be 2 or 3 times tougher than before it makes the starting game seriously challenging.

In addition, zombies seem to detect me now from much further away! (all standard 'proper zombies' setting)

Could I also ask if you've tweaked the rarity settings?  I usually find 'extremly rare' is about right for me, but my first few fresh games so far feels even rarer than before, it was about 6 houses before I found a butter knife.

Its possible I just got particulary unlucky though

You have high exertion - I replied on your reddit. That's why your swings are doing no damage. You're totally shattered. You must have saved and quit in 30.6 after running into the building and being out of breath :P and now it takes substantial time to get exertion down. Sleep up or rest on sofa/bed and try again in a few hours you'll find zombies exactly same toughness as before.

Also why do zombies seem like they have eagle vision on?!

I don't remember messing with their vision in sandbox mode

... A long with the fact that zombies now seem to be 2 or 3 times tougher than before it makes the starting game seriously challenging.

Same here. I think think Devs went a bit over the top with their perception. And they seem so restless now. And your zombie took so long to kill because you were tired and it seems the more tired (exhausted) you are the weaker are your attacks.

- I don't like the new kind of exertion, because it isn't sufficiently different from being tired. I know that there are some ingame differences, but they don't make sense to me. I want the player to tire from physical exertion and mental stress, so that he is finally tired and his overall performance both physical and mental drops. So please combine exertion and being tired and just call it tiredness. The new exertion should have different stages like "warmed up", "winded", "exhausted" and have a short time effect and quick recovery. The effects should be the same as being tired.

Finally the character is tired to quickly and it takes way too long to be exhausted.

This is exactly what they're moving away from, though. What you're suggesting- the old exertion-  made no sense at all. No one gets tired after swinging a baseball bat 4 times or running for 14 seconds. No one gets exhausted from jogging for 20 seconds or swinging an axe once. That isn't a thing; it makes no sense.

Being sleepy and being worn out from manual labor are two very different things. Maybe your lifestyle is different from mine, but if you've ever done physical labor in your life you'd understand that sleepy and worn out are completely different things.

There is a difference between being physically tired from a day of hard work, and being sleepy. There is also a big difference between working all day and being too exausted to continue, and sprinting across 3 city blocks and needing to take a breather, rest for a moment.

I agree that while the new system is a welcome change to manage long term exertion over the course of a day, there should still be some mechanic to have a shorter term limit.

You try fending off 3 people with a baseball bat, crowbar, etc and not be tired and need a rest afterwards. It can be pretty tiring, I would imagine. (Don't actually try, sounds very dangerous :P )

There is a difference between being physically tired from a day of hard work, and being sleepy. There is also a big difference between working all day and being too exausted to continue, and sprinting across 3 city blocks and needing to take a breather, rest for a moment.

I agree that while the new system is a welcome change to manage long term exertion over the course of a day, there should still be some mechanic to have a shorter term limit.

You try fending off 3 people with a baseball bat, crowbar, etc and not be tired and need a rest afterwards. It can be pretty tiring, I would imagine. (Don't actually try, sounds very dangerous :P )

Hi Anon I agree this would be more realistic, but... the problem is that this is the system we *did* have and it didn't work, since it just forced players to back up for 10 seconds, and arbitrarily slowed things down without actually adding anything to gameplay. We watched a ton of Lets Plays and it just lead to boring monotonous combat where it was fight a zombie, back up wait for breath, fight a zombie, back up wait for breath, and it had zero impact beyond forcing these boring retreats every 20 seconds or so.

It may not be as realistic being able to carry on swinging for a long while, but the gameplay ramifications of this are immense, since that player would suffer the consequences greatly a while later by spending too much of their energy fighting zombies. Sometimes we have to go with what makes for the most fun and engaging gameplay (to play and to watch). Besides the new system is more realistic in other ways to counterbalance this.

Kind of akin to knocking back shots of whiskey and thinking they aren't having an effect, so you have another but still don't feel drunk so have another, drinking too many then them all hitting you like a ton of bricks at once. Punishing the lack of forethought. That delayed reaction can lead those who are reckless to a dangerous spot 10-20 minutes down the line.

Liking the new build, way to go guys!

One thing I'd note:

When you make a shotgun with accessories into a sawed off, all the accessories magically disappear, and if the shotgun is broken, you can't remove the accessories.

P.S. Sacriel the Twitch streamer was saying good things about PZ on his stream today.  =D

Dat cause Sac is awesome. 42nd pride! o seven <3 etc etc :)

Yep that too - people need to try reading the in-game Zomboid survival guide haha :P

haha, yes you're right, I did know about all that, but its never taken that many hits before, I guess the exaughstion took me by suprise xD

On my third attempt things are going a lot smoother and loot seems to be back the way it was, so I think that first game was just a freak of nature =]

I don't see any improvement over the old system. I can go full berserk all day long without any ramification. I see how this speeds up gameplay though and will make for better advertisement, aka Let's plays.

Stupid question, but it does say build 30.7 in the lower right hand corner of the main menu, right?

Look I have loved this game from the start, and I appreciate the effort the developers do to improve the game but I don't think build 30 is a step in the right direction or at least needs tweaking. I feel that the shaders should be an option if possible (but i do like that "this War of Mine" was part of that decision. Also I don't find it any harder to deplete my endurance, even though I try and sneak through the zombies littered around the map, one always see's me so then I have six or seven zombies coming at me and I can't run or else that would attract more of them so I kill them all but in doing so I end up being detected by more zombies and running out of stamina, now normally I would just run away to a safe distance and wait but I can't even run now. I don't feel that the rest mechanic is usable either, it takes so long to do nothing I feel that it's more useful to just sleep, but that requires a bed/chair/booth and unless your in a house it can be a pain to find a protected area (an area without being just protected by windows.)you should be able to sleep anywhere but if you do choose to sleep on the floor it takes longer to rejuvenate and you might have a crick in your back from sleeping on a hard surface that slows your movement a little bit or some kind of debuff. In any case I feel that you should always be able to run at the pace you were able to run at when your were exhausted in the previous system. And maybe there should be a certain distance where zombie herds just stop following you and disperse or travel in a different direction.  either way I feel that the new endurance system needs to be removed or at least balanced in a minor patch. And as a closing not I thank the developers for caring so much about the game and the community and while i don't think this was the most positive update I still love this game. Thanks for hearing me out! 

I don't see any improvement over the old system. I can go full berserk all day long without any ramification. I see how this speeds up gameplay though and will make for better advertisement, aka Let's plays.

Hi if this is the case then we need to tweak it so you'll get tireder during the day. As I said this stuff is still in need of balancing what we're talking here is the principles of a perfectly balanced version of this new endurance system.

Hi if this is the case then we need to tweak it so you'll get tireder during the day. As I said this stuff is still in need of balancing what we're talking here is the principles of a perfectly balanced version of this new endurance system.

since from build 29 i has microlags.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-1107-micro-lags-ingame-build-307-singel-player/

Maybe there could be an item that worked against exhaustion like an engery bar/drink/pill that could give you a short burst of stamina. of course you could in theory keep using the items and totally defeat the purpose of exhaustion so maybe have some sort of kickback of using to many like passing out instantly when you stop taking them (like what happens when you go on a coffee binge) or maybe you become addicted to them and you must depend on them to stay awake for some time until you get over the addiction.

Maybe there could be an item that worked against exhaustion like an engery bar/drink/pill that could give you a short burst of stamina. of course you could in theory keep using the items and totally defeat the purpose of exhaustion so maybe have some sort of kickback of using to many like passing out instantly when you stop taking them (like what happens when you go on a coffee binge) or maybe you become addicted to them and you must depend on them to stay awake for some time until you get over the addiction.

Yep we're considering various ways to combat exhaustion as a quick fix but they would need to be balanced so you could only take it so far.

Can't really think of anything that works like that in real life. Other than pure adrenaline, none of the energy bar/Gatorade/energy drink type stuff helps in the short term at all (and the long term impact is dubious at best).

For sleepiness, sure, that would make sense.