RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

Yep, I've advocated going back to just migrating the zombies across an area, at a flat rate of speed, and spawning them near the player, before. It's a shame there were several 20 page threads when that was tried by the developer, but there's something charming about being able to do, say, this: AuRXdZv.png

(Mind, they're not rounded off on the edges), that's just the line of sight.

But you definitely wouldn't be able to "handle," this. It'd be more of a "get the fuck out of there" thing. ;)

It's just a shame there was so much outrage when the meta-game was in full swing . . . :(

Ok, this is awesome. How do I do this in my game?

Edit: I love the idea of having to move and an keep an eye on an impending horde. Sort of like scouting and watching their movement and testing my defenses, sort of like this.

J5kkqjM.jpg

Yep, I've advocated going back to just migrating the zombies across an area, at a flat rate of speed, and spawning them near the player, before. It's a shame there were several 20 page threads when that was tried by the developer, but there's something charming about being able to do, say, this: AuRXdZv.png

(Mind, they're not rounded off on the edges), that's just the line of sight.

But you definitely wouldn't be able to "handle," this. It'd be more of a "get the fuck out of there" thing. ;)

It's just a shame there was so much outrage when the meta-game was in full swing . . . :(

Nothing a campfire couldn't take care of.

So, just playing multiplayer with 30.9 for the first time and I'm wondering, how the hell are the endurance changes supposed to work in MP? I like the changes for the most part, but in MP you cant sleep (Not yet anyway, until that's made an option) and resting takes several minutes. Its fine in SP because you can speed up time, but in MP its a bit ridiculous. Am I missing something here or is it supposed to be like this?

So, just playing multiplayer with 30.9 for the first time and I'm wondering, how the hell are the endurance changes supposed to work in MP? I like the changes for the most part, but in MP you cant sleep (Not yet anyway, until that's made an option) and resting takes several minutes. Its fine in SP because you can speed up time, but in MP its a bit ridiculous. Am I missing something here or is it supposed to be like this?

Haven't tried new endurance system in MP yet. When you read a skill book, you have to stop what you're doing and wait there while normal time passes by, I would imagine it would be similar. If I'm not mistaken, you don't have the rest to full in order to recover some endurance. 

I can see myself getting into an endruance fight with someone, chasing down someone I know to be low on HP and Endurance (I'm wanting his loot), losing sight of him, and then going around check all the spots to rest nearby.

As the runner, I can see myself trying to outwit my assailant and trying to make him think I'm going to have to stop and rest nearby.

Having to gauge an opponents endurance level sounds like an interest twist to current PvP tactics. I can however see the frustration at having to wait at something required on a regular basis, as opposed to the books which you can choose to put off for another time.

You can find other things to do. You don't need to necessarily rest (fastest), it's just the most efficient means. Standing (faster) and walking (fast) also regenerate endurance.

Thats one of the main reasons i dont play MP. I join a Server its Dark i cant do anything. Im out.

Cant sleep the Night away cant rest. other solution = Walk around? Stand around? pls. xD

I want to talk about burning zombies after trying it myself. This is a major issue because it reduces zombies to a nuissance. There are several ways to adress this ranging from igniting the zombies to the spreading of the fire and the amount of damage it causes. My campfirekit and me are already best buddies and I sing it to sleep.

I want to talk about burning zombies after trying it myself. This is a major issue because it reduces zombies to a nuissance. There are several ways to adress this ranging from igniting the zombies to the spreading of the fire and the amount of damage it causes. My campfirekit and me are already best buddies and I sing it to sleep.

I'm not sure if you're saying that currently fire is over or under powered, or something altogether different. As it stands right now, a single campfire kit can kill every single zombie in the game. Definitely doesn't need to do more damage, thought I don't think that is what you're saying.

Charged swings generally appear to be worth about 5 points. A missed swing now defaults to 1. But it'll depend on the weapon, and it could well be more complex than I'm making it out here, as despite what appears to be a high amount of exhaustion (being able only kill 5 zombies), quite a few more can be dealt with.

This is the long way of saying I don't really remember. ;)

But the rough numbers change as you get into better shape? 

Charged swings generally appear to be worth about 5 points. A missed swing now defaults to 1. But it'll depend on the weapon, and it could well be more complex than I'm making it out here, as despite what appears to be a high amount of exhaustion (being able only kill 5 zombies), quite a few more can be dealt with.

This is the long way of saying I don't really remember. ;)

But the rough numbers change as you get into better shape? 

It's supposed to change to some degree with the fitness level of the character, I believe. Haven't looked into it, though.

Feedback on new farming changes:

Pro:

- Increased duration is a good thing

- New graphics are great

- Reduced maintenance is awesome

- Makes things like fishing and trapping more important

Con

- Vegetables rot on the vine too quickly.

- Not much to do with food after harvest. It rots too quickly.

It would be interesting if vegetables went from seed bearing to a new state, say for example, stale. Perhaps then a fairly long duration at a stale state before it rots. Food can stay on the vine for quite a while before it becomes inedible.

Feedback on new exhaustion system:

- I like it. 

General thoughts on food:

- Cant make fish soup :P

- Need more ways to preserve food after farming it. A small patch of land yields way more food than you can use before it rots.

- Minor annoyance: all the leftovers with a value of "1" hunger after cooking. Eating 30 broccoli all with the value of "1" is quite time consuming.

- Rotten food composting into fertilizer?

Thats one of the main reasons i dont play MP. I join a Server its Dark i cant do anything. Im out.

Cant sleep the Night away cant rest. other solution = Walk around? Stand around? pls. xD

maybe they should take a leaf out of 7d2d where time is speeded up during the night.

all actions take the same real time to perform, just the rate at which its dark is sped up.  oh and maybe make it so that 'resting' during the night recovers much faster.

Hiya all, playing for a while, just registered.

Just started a new sandbox, everything at defaults except loot turned up a tad.

After an exporation of starting house I headed outside to find a mass of zombies making a beeline for my toon from beyond my sight radius.

Got eaten, never seen clairvoyant zombies before.

Is this normal?

Certainly didn't happen in any of my last games.

Yes, their perception has increased somewhat and depending on where you spawn, there may be more zombies around than usual.

BUT,  they do have quite a short memory and your standard walking pace is faster than they move, even without using sprint!  So its pretty easy to lose them, theres no reason you should get eaten.

Instead of attacking them you need to use 'bait n switch' tactics.

All you need is a house which has two exits unlocked.   approach a mass of zombies but not too close, and use the 'shout key' (q) try to bunch them up a bit before making your move...   then head towards the house.. walking pace! if you can keep them hot on your heels, jump through an open window...   hopefully the mass will mostly have all followed you,  now RUN through the house to the exit.  Shut the door behind you and RUN in the opposite direction.

I strongly reccomend covering all windows with sheets on the ground floor of all houses if you can,  once the zombies are trapped inside the house you dont want them to be able to see you :)

Hey RJ, I had a couple of quick questions:

Tried foraging during the winter months, and it honestly doesn't seem nerfed enough. The settings I had was Nature's Abundance Very High and Temperatures Very Cold.

-I was able to find worms while it was "snowing" (btw, currently plays the rain sound and graphic even during snow, perhaps silence the sound during below freezing temperatures? I know there's probably not a graphic for snow yet.). This makes no sense since I shouldn't be able to find worms at all during the winter. Perhaps if its possible disable them from being foraged and dug up during the Winter?

-Still finding all sorts of food items like crickets, grasshoppers, mushrooms, berries, violets, rosehips, wild eggs, and grape leaves.  Shouldn't these be basically non-existent during the winter? I know you mentioned them being nerfed in colder temperatures, but either its not working or doesn't seem nerfed enough. (in my opinion there should be NO food items on the foraging table during the winter, I honestly can't think of any of the current items that would be around during the winter).

-Foraged items other than berries still have no expiration.

And one minor thing about the snow. It's pretty beautiful in-game, but one thing that its sorely lacking is......footprints! If some short term footprints could be added this would be one of the best aesthetic touches to be added to the game.

Your problem is that you've set nature's abundance very high. That means tons of nature resources, so it's most likely overriding the cold weather. If you want it to work with weather I'd suggest keeping it at normal levels (unless abundance is normally very high, in which case I have no idea).

Your problem is that you've set nature's abundance very high. That means tons of nature resources, so it's most likely overriding the cold weather. If you want it to work with weather I'd suggest keeping it at normal levels (unless abundance is normally very high, in which case I have no idea).

That's the problem though, I'm not 100% sure how it should work. For example, if you play 8 months after the apocalypse, nature's abundance is set very high. I simply figured that the "food" items would be flagged for cold weather not to spawn. I'll test again on "normal", but I'm hoping that the default settings will disable foraging for food in the winter, but I'm kinda doubting it at this point since it seems even on normal I'll be able to forage for food (and doing silly things like finding worms because its snowing).

Anyways, I'll post back my findings shortly.

More likely it just means there's less of a chance, overall, of food items spawning in winter. Not that they can't.

probably right on this, but it is unrealistic to still find the food items mentioned above during winter. Not to mention it would add quite a bit more challenge, which is defiantly welcomed at this point. Right now IMO foraging is too good of a food source.

More likely it just means there's less of a chance, overall, of food items spawning in winter. Not that they can't.

probably right on this, but it is unrealistic to still find the food items mentioned above during winter. Not to mention it would add quite a bit more challenge, which is defiantly welcomed at this point. Right now IMO foraging is too good of a food source.

Yeah, but it's a lot easier just to change the rate of spawn for everything at once, rather than for individual items. :)

Though I shouldn't be putting myself out there. I don't know RobertJohnson's intent in this case. ;)

K, so, redid a test on normal..........and I honestly can't tell much of a difference, if any. Foraging is still way too good. (Using lucky and level 5 foraging as in the previous tests).

8 hour forage fest with snow on the ground yielded.....

48 berries

16 mushrooms

2 crickets

4 rosehips

3 wild eggs

No worms, but I'm gonna assume that was simply bad luck. Again, not sure on the intentions here, but I still think its too good and should honestly have all food items removed from the table during the extreme cold like this, as you simply would not find any of these on the ground. You could place a setting like plant resilience for foraging if there is anyone who isn't happy about it being reduced or disabled during the cold months.

Should also consider disabling worms as well to keep people from simply digging up worms over and over in the winter, as you would have to dig about 5 or 6 feet under for even a chance to find any.

Edit: After thinking again, some of the food items could probably exist during the winter (like a few of the plant items), but as far as the insects I'm almost certain there wouldn't be any. Either way, the amount should probably be looked at because this still seems excessive.

Have to remember that zombies also move about the map to sound cues. Just because they seem to be heading your way initially, doesn't mean they haven't just spotted you on their way somewhere else.

That consistently f's me over.  I will be sneaking into a place, a gunshot goes off in my direction and zombies and turn into me and see and available food source.  Gives the game some spice.  

I love love love zombie barbecues.  The beast eats them up leaving ash.  Wish we could walk up to curtains and set a fire in a house.