RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

As long as we get to pickle fish fillets in jars I'll be a happy man. Also, where I'm from, reusable jars are quite common, so I'm guessing that varies from place to place. I have found vinegar in strange places like the laundromat in muld, still no luck with jars though.

Also, where I'm from, reusable jars are quite common

These are our reusuable jars, but they're often used to store coffee and pasta on the kitchen counters . . . probably not a subtle grade for canning, and may even have a plastic, rather than rubber, seal:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mini-hermes-jar-5-4-oz-1421500p.html#.VIqsDXv2OFU

:D

Those jars would be good for if we get a way to dry foods and store them. Build 30 has been my favorite update so far, but just a thought, how is the new zombie behavior going to affect NPCs? Will a NPC be able to give the undead the slip? Or will they bring a load together and bring them right to your door? xD

Okay, I sunk a bunch of time into a new game in 30.9 today. I'm finding I still have issues with exertion when I use certain weapons. Bats and axes are much less effective than they used to be, as the number of charged swings I can manage with them between freshly rested and moderately exerted seems to number no more than twenty, and I'm not sure it's actually energy efficient to hit enemies that are on the ground. I find I'm using kitchen/hunting knives much more than knockdown weapons because they're much better for conserving energy. The rest of the time I just gather up a huge horde and lead them off somewhere like the pied piper before leaving them in the meta. I'm yet to get the chance to try preserving, as I haven't found the tools necessary. I've been having some problems with first aid but I like the idea of the system a lot. I'm also murdering myself constantly with broken windows, so I'll be happy when a way to clear shattered glass is implemented.

Okay, I sunk a bunch of time into a new game in 30.9 today. I'm finding I still have issues with exertion when I use certain weapons. Bats and axes are much less effective than they used to be, as the number of charged swings I can manage with them between freshly rested and moderately exerted seems to number no more than twenty.

That's intended.

It's now calculated by damage, rather than swings. Though one swing does the default of "1" exaustion, meaning you should be able to swing 100 times (and hit nothing) before exerting your exhaustion entirley. Note that it also regenerates when standing still (faster) or walking around (slower).

Any discussion of changes to the system will also be moved to Suggestions, at this point. It gets too heated here.

I don't know the numbers behind the moodles - what values would moderate/high/excessive exertion occur at?

80% for moderate exhaustion. Didn't see the high moodle (might be a bug). Jumps to extreme exertion around 40%.

Checking.

Spoiler

if(this.Type == MoodleType.Endurance) {         LevelToSet = 0;         if(this.Parent.getBodyDamage().getHealth() != 0.0F) {            if(this.Parent.getStats().endurance > 0.75F) {               LevelToSet = 0;            } else if(this.Parent.getStats().endurance > 0.5F) {               LevelToSet = 1;            } else if(this.Parent.getStats().endurance > 0.25F) {               LevelToSet = 2;            } else if(this.Parent.getStats().endurance > 0.1F) {               LevelToSet = 3;            } else {               LevelToSet = 4;            }         }

Looks like 75% is moderate, 50% is high, 25% is excessive, 10% is exhausted? (I'm not very familiar with lua.) So 25 whiffs would take you to moderate? I'm interested in how much a fully charged swing would take versus a miss. Anyway, I think combat and running at least are manageable at these levels, if anything I'd consider playing with the recovery rate for standing idle.

Charged swings generally appear to be worth about 5 points. A missed swing now defaults to 1. But it'll depend on the weapon, and it could well be more complex than I'm making it out here, as despite what appears to be a high amount of exhaustion (being able only kill 5 zombies), quite a few more can be dealt with.

This is the long way of saying I don't really remember. ;)

I also realised that I was using my knockdown weapons one handed when I wrote my earlier post. You get noticeably better mileage out of your stamina when using knockdown weapons two handed rather than one handed. I'm used to using them one handed; probably a bad habit. I'd still rather use a knife right now, though.

After playing the build a bit more I have to say that endurance is feeling a bit more balanced now, though I noticed that when using bare hands to push, and then stomp, there is pretty much no exhaustion.

I was able to clear my way along the beach in West Point from the boathouse, to the next dock over east, then down to twiggys walking and hand to hand with out being tired at all.

I suppose it is ok for the time being though :D I have been using hand to hand when possible to save on weapon condition anyways, only using weapons when really out numbered.

Hey, so I've not played the game in well over a year as I found it really boring without NPCs, and I played the game to death in the earlier builds, so I've been waiting for them to be added before trying to get into it again. Have they still not been added? I tried searching but couldn't really find news regarding it, but I could have not been searching hard enough :) cheers

Hey, so I've not played the game in well over a year as I found it really boring without NPCs, and I played the game to death in the earlier builds, so I've been waiting for them to be added before trying to get into it again. Have they still not been added? I tried searching but couldn't really find news regarding it, but I could have not been searching hard enough :) cheers

No.

Some more feedback now on the comparison between "8 months in" and Survival: I read that dev post on steam about how the devs want to go nuclear on the difficulty, but I don't see it in the standard survival settings. Am I right to assume that nothing there has changed, with the exception of the IWBUMS changes? Survival feels like a walk in the park to me, because the few zombies that there are can be easily herded and parked at a distance away from my point of interest. 

Has anyone tried to burn zombies with an insane zombie count? I wonder if a fire spreads all over the town your in.

After playing 30.9 in single player a few time now Im starting to like the new exertion type... Even thou i didnt agree with it at the beggining (for not having short and long term stamina) I now see what the DEVS are doing here ;) ... Ive been playing way more sneaky... i run 5% of what i used to do XD and dont go berserker on Zombies XD... If i kill 1 a day its a bloody day XD. But, as i read somewhere there are some fixes needed like the following... if you chop a tree with right click, if you chop 1/2 tree u will get moderate exertion... if you chop the tree like you are killing a zombie with control click u  can chop a LOT of trees ... 

But without a doubt, i enjoy much more playing this way... now i need to plan carefully my day like...

1- Today im gonna clear a few Zs around my base

2- Fishing dayyy  (clyde)

3- Chopping trees day  :???:

4- Reading and building day

5- Exploration day

etc etc etc... 

with the previous exertion it was like...

Day 1 - Fish, kill 100 Zs just because, rank to level 3 carpentry, loot AAAALLLLL Houses around and run till level 1 XD

Still having trouble locating a good source of preserving materials. I have found vinegar in Spiffo's and a clothes shop, a jar lid in a Laundromat and an empty jar in a grocery store. Anyone found any places to get a few of each item or are they just set as really rare loot?

Maybe I'm just stupid or don't understand this fully, but in regards to the new medical system, has anyone else had trouble bandaging another player? I read through like 20 pages of this thread to see if I could find any info, but I can't find anything. I can take bandages OFF of other players, but I can't put them on...which seems kind of silly to me.

Edit: Actually, update to this, I can't even bandage myself via right clicking on the health panel. I have to right click on the bandages themselves. I was under the impression that I should be able to bandage from the new health menu...is this not true?

I'll have to check again when I get home from work, but if nobody else is having these problems I may need to try a fresh install. I also noticed when playing last night that when I tried to disinfect a bandage with some alcohol, the bandage just disappeared entirely and left me nothing behind.

Oh and I never mentioned this originally, there isn't an error or anything noticeable when trying to bandage from the health menu, there just isn't an option to bandage at all. Right clicking on the player health portrait only brings up the option to remove a bandage, never to apply one even if I am in fact bleeding. 

When I get home I'll do a bit more testing to see what I can find, but I figured I would ask to see if this was a known issue.