RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

I see the guys above me talking about stamina. I have an idea instead of making beta blockers as powerful as they are now. I mean have them have to same effect to calm your character down. But instead add something like adrenaline shots that last like 10 20 min in game it fights all fatigue in that time, increases stamina for running and swinging your weapon, but when it wears out you become highly fatigued stamina lowers and attack strength goes down until you rest.

I always wish there was like a strength skill where the higher the skill goes up the harder you hit or the more you can swing your melee weapon around without becoming worn out and for each level you also gain a plus one to carry capacity so at level 5 you have +5 to your default carry cap. Just ideas.

Oh and generators or solar panels? Are they ever going to a thing? While I was on amazon on cyber Monday they had portable camping solar panels for small device and they were fairly cheap. So maybe some camping store or the mall would have them in the game.

I thought about solar panels and such as well but came to realize that if the devs want to strive for realism they probably wouldn't add them. Mostly because it does take quite a bit of knowledge/equipment to set a system like that up. I was looking it up for some supplemental power for my home but found that its a pretty technical field and I wouldn't think most people would have the knowledge to work that out. I mean you can infer what to do with hammer and nails but electronic circuits and engineering are a whole other ball game. Its much more than just hooking a panel up to a battery.

At least that's my opinion. You might be able to get away by adding some tech skill and books but I still wouldn't feel like that would be very realistic. I have an introduction textbook to electric circuits and its pretty damn thick and technical. I'd find it hard to believe you could find time to get through the book, find the panels, wires, deep cycle batteries, inverters, etc. and do all that while nearly starving in the apocalypse. Also batteries and panels break/wear and wouldn't be sustainable unless you had a constant supply of loot to replace/repair your system.

Again just my humble opinion :).

I guess that is when proffessions kick in and you have the electronic profession to be able to do all that fancy stuff?

That would solve the knowledge issue. Now the supply problem lol. (Well if you want to be realistic. You could just ignore that and make the batteries and equipment last forever.)

I wasn't meaning like a huge solar array to power a house I was meaning like small solar arrays to charge batteries. and if they plan on adding cars into the game there has got to be a way to charge up your batteries because at extreme low and high temperatures car batteries just like to crap out. And if I'm not mistaken solar panels don't actually supply power to anything they just charge a battery of some sort then that battery powers what ever component it needs to. An electrician skill could be a thing also with the addition of cars because depend on what type of car your working on depends on the level of expertise you need to have in circuitry, because a brand new sports car is a lot harder to work on vs an old muscle car, but either way you still need enough knowledge to make sure your headlights are working and you don't blow up your starter because you messed up.

But back to the solar panels, they could be a small kit that you find which is really rare when you place it it takes two tiles one tile is a small solar panel and the other tile is a container of sorts where you could charge say two car batteries or like 10 batteries for the flashlights.    

As for power and knowledge :)

i could prob work out a windmill with a dynamo of a bike to supply a little power or use a river or the like to have a waterwheel to get the rotation for a small dynamo and have my power that before i even would consider get a solarpanel to work. For a siimple solution and for my knowledge i would use the wind/water powered dynamo to power some flashlights or bike lights for the use to have light in the house and maybe charge batteries for a radio or the like. Everything above that would requiere higher skill and knowledge not to talk about the stuff to build and run this.

as far for the game i would say keep it simple and solarpower needs to get used constant or the panels burn out, with a dynamo you could simple switch the connector of and thats it

I think when it comes to electricity and stuff like that is going to be the electric profession that lets you work it out,when it comes down to cars i think a mechanic profession would be nice and useful.

I just want to see professions begin important, like no one can reach the level of a professional, so if you are a doctor you may understand some stuff of what can be wrong with a car, but you cant fix more complex problems.

Also i think this might not be on topic right now, we need to give feedback about the new system and about possible bugs.

Not sure I like the idea of needing both vinegar AND sugar to preserve canned goods. Especially not if you're cooking it, which should require neither. Not if you're jarring it, anyways. The cooking destroys all bacteria and the jar lid, if done right, will be pressure sealed to prevent bacteria from being reintroduced into the food. Adding sugar or vinegar would help with preservation, but it should by no means be necessary.

Maybe make it so that food preserved without the addition of sugar or vinegar makes the food less nutritious and last half as long as a way to balance it out should you lack the resources? Vinegar is hard to come by and difficult to make and sugar will be impossible to get without the addition of crops like sugar beets and sugarcane or beekeeping.

Not sure I like the idea of needing both vinegar AND sugar to preserve canned goods. Especially not if you're cooking it, which should require neither. Not if you're jarring it, anyways. The cooking destroys all bacteria and the jar lid, if done right, will be pressure sealed to prevent bacteria from being reintroduced into the food. Adding sugar or vinegar would help with preservation, but it should by no means be necessary.

Maybe make it so that food preserved without the addition of sugar or vinegar makes the food less nutritious and last half as long as a way to balance it out should you lack the resources? Vinegar is hard to come by and difficult to make and sugar will be impossible to get without the addition of crops like sugar beets and sugarcane or beekeeping.

Problem with canning is that in the end, it wont be renewable. Jar lids will eventually run out, probably before the sugar and vinegar do.

Problem with canning is that in the end, it wont be renewable. Jar lids will eventually run out, probably before the sugar and vinegar do.

I don't think the jar lids disappear once you eat your jarred food. I might be wrong, but that would make no sense imo

I don't think the jar lids disappear once you eat your jarred food. I might be wrong, but that would make no sense imo

As of this build they do, and sugar and vinegar are FAR more common than the lids/jars (vinegar is annoying to find  though since it seems to mostly spawn at spiffos, not sure why you can't find it and sugar in the grocery stores).

As of this build they do, and sugar and vinegar are FAR more common than the lids/jars (vinegar is annoying to find  though since it seems to mostly spawn at spiffos, not sure why you can't find it and sugar in the grocery stores).

Lids are one-use for the traditional mason jar sold throughout the US and Canada. Not much point in giving back the used ones due to this.

Though I know there are some newer ones on the market (rubber ring), it might not fit the time-line of the game.  French clamp-down styles do exist, but they tend to be decorative items, used for dry storage, at least in my neck of the woods. I've never seen them used for canning until Harakka and RobertJohnson showed me them. ;)

The mason jar variant with one-use lids are also dirt cheap.

Canning seems to be ATM something a player could rush off the bat to try and preserve long term healthy food choices but then again I would just grab lots of orange soda and chips, so if it is worth doing it off the start when valued cannable goods are plentiful is up to debate.

Canning seems to be ATM something a player could rush off the bat to try and preserve long term healthy food choices but then again I would just grab lots of orange soda and chips, so if it is worth doing it off the start when valued cannable goods are plentiful is up to debate.

You could do that, but then you run the risk of them going bad when winter comes (I think RJ said something about them lasting 2 months? Not 100% sure). Even now, I wouldn't bother to can food before winter in this game, as anything I find in the houses I would chop up to help level cooking early.

The main issue I see is lids running out, and then your completely unable to store any of your crops for winter use. Your already capped by jars (which I feel the amount they store could use a nerf, 5 of some crops going into a jar is a bit unrealistic). Assuming rotten food storage is eventually no longer a thing, farming won't be able to help you much in the winter once the lids run out.

Yeah but come on man, they'll let you reuse lids and cans it just got implemented. Vinegar and Sugar are the only consumables that should be used and destroyed in the process.

Remember that farming got nerfed already, you should be able to can multiple products from one object of vinegar and sugar and reuse the old cans / lids. I doubt it'll be overpowered in multiplayer. However I could see it being extremely effective in single player but single player is pretty much sandbox mode.

(Considering you get to loot everything all to yourself and the world is your personal playground.)

Yeah but come on man, they'll let you reuse lids and cans it just got implemented and it is like a "Duh."

Not really. The game at least some of the time makes the claim that it's realistic. It's not realistic to have a infinitely renewable model of canning for this specific type of jar. They're really meant to get you through the winter, so coveting them and using them only when necessary would be the best policy.

That doesn't mean that reusable versions can't be added (assuming they're rare enough), or more jars/lids can't be spawned in the game, though.

. . .you should be able to can multiple products from one object of vinegar and sugar . . .

Yes.

Yeah but come on man, they'll let you reuse lids and cans it just got implemented and it is like a "Duh." Vinager and Sugar are the only consumables that should be used.

Actually, their current stance is lids are non-reusable in the bug report forum. Second, now you become limited by vinegar and sugar if they are always gonna be mandatory for canning.

Also, it doesn't hurt to voice concerns for something even if it "just" got implemented. I know medical first aid kits were just added, and while its harmless, they can hold a silly amount of loot inside them. Its immersion breaking, and I know eventually they'll get around to it, just like the current canning is a bit immersion breaking in the fact that you stick a jar inside the oven to cook your canned goods. (which I'm almost certain would probably shatter, especially for novices doing it).

Not really. The game at least some of the time makes the claim that it's realistic. It's not realistic to have a infinitely renewable model of canning for this specific type of jar. They're really meant to get you through the winter, so coveting them and using them only when necessary would be the best policy.

That doesn't mean that reusable versions can't be added (assuming they're rare enough), or more jars/lids can't be spawned in the game, though.

I would like to see a re-useable lid, even if its rare loot, that way farming still has a little bit of meaning for the winter. Otherwise in the long run you'll basically be forced to do nothing but trap and fish (which might not be a bad thing to get people off of rooftops). Still, I would like to see farming hold some value for winter, especially if rotten food preservation is removed.

That's the problem with an apocalypse: eventually manufactured goods break down and run out. ;) We're just not prepared anymore to do wax sealing of jars (which could be an alternative if lids are returned to the player, one day . . . just with a higher chance of spoilage). (Assuming candle wax is sufficient for this sort of thing.)

That's the problem with an apocalypse: eventually manufactured goods break down and run out. ;) We're just not prepared anymore to do wax sealing of jars (which could be an alternative if lids are returned to the player, one day . . . just with a higher chance of spoilage). (Assuming candle wax is sufficient for this sort of thing.)

Yeah, I know when vehicles are added that eventually, the gas will run out, and then they'll be nothing more than some really heavy barricades. Guess its not realistic to expect to be able to can forever. Once you run out of ways to preserve your crops though, farming loses a LOT of its value with some of the changes coming.

Seems like fishing and trapping will be the go-to now since their not limited by seasons. Again, maybe a good thing to get people off the roofs, I would just like to see farming hold a little bit of value though, and canning seemed like a perfectly balanced idea since it would cap the amount you could store, compared to the current model of stashing all your rotten food in crates and cooking it up when needed.

French clamp-down styles do exist, but they tend to be decorative items, used for dry storage, at least in my neck of the woods. I've never seen them used for canning until Harakka and RobertJohnson showed me them. ;)

As a frenchman too, I didn't know USA & Canada had one-use lids for their jars ^^

What naturally comes to my mind are those :

"clamp down" & confiture bonne maman !

Which are borth re-usable !

French clamp-down styles do exist, but they tend to be decorative items, used for dry storage, at least in my neck of the woods. I've never seen them used for canning until Harakka and RobertJohnson showed me them. ;)

As a frenchman too, I didn't know USA & Canada had one-use lids for their jars ^^

What naturally comes to my mind are those :

"clamp down" & confiture bonne maman !

Which are borth re-usable !

I could easily see those being rare loot in the mall. After thinking some more, since the current trapping system does require bait, eventually if you last long enough that would no longer become an option during the winter either, and fishing would be the only food source possible.

I could easily see those being rare loot in the mall. After thinking some more, since the current trapping system does require bait, eventually if you last long enough that would no longer become an option during the winter either, and fishing would be the only food source possible.

That made me think :

we should be able to use large fish to trap black bear.

We should be able to use multiple berries as bait for trapping, and maybe little bait fish could be used for trapping as well ?

That made me think :

We should be able to use multiple berries as bait for trapping, and maybe little bait fish could be used for trapping as well ?

Berries could be a lot of fun with canning (I'm just imagining someone not knowing any better canning a whole jar of poison berries). With the current list of things you can catch with traps, I don't think bait fish would attract any of them (except maybe a rat?). Also, foraging is going to be a lot rougher during the winter (and hopefully more things like digging up worms), so that would be a no go as an option for winter trapping.

That made me think :

Berries could be a lot of fun with canning (I'm just imagining someone not knowing any better canning a whole jar of poison berries). With the current list of things you can catch with traps, I don't think bait fish would attract any of them (except maybe a rat?). Also, foraging is going to be a lot rougher during the winter (and hopefully more things like digging up worms), so that would be a no go as an option for winter trapping.

I been eating a lot of berries cause there is a horde near the store i need to loot, are there any posion berries in the game yet?