RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

Pretty sure windows have no endurance penalty at all . . . are you running?

Nope. Not running. The exhaustion icon has appeared several times while im in the process of opening a window.  I want to say it appears right as you hear the "click" indicating the window is locked, but I can't say that with certainty.  The process is definitely triggering exhaustion for me though.

Pretty sure windows have no endurance penalty at all . . . are you running?

Nope. Not running. The exhaustion icon has appeared several times while im in the process of opening a window.  I want to say it appears right as you hear the "click" indicating the window is locked, but I can't say that with certainty.  The process is definitely triggering exhaustion for me though.

Yeah I can confirm that one, it's happened to me about 3-4 times, not running or fighting. Struggling to open a window over a prolonged period a time though, it makes sense to me that you'd get a little out of breath ;)

Hi. First time posting here, and literally just made an account, but I have been following this game for the past 2.5 years, and playing faithfully through Desura, then Steam. 

If this is in the wrong area, I apologize. 

I am currently playing build 30.8. Today, while going about my normal routine of doing finals for college and killing zombies in between, I noticed that when I went to add to my farm, something strange happened. I went to open a pack of seeds, and after the progress bar quickly filled, the seeds just disappeared. I thought maybe it was a rare error, so I tried with another packet. Same thing. I went through around 40 packs of seeds to see my entire supply of seeds disappear before my eyes. In the same save file, I was previously able to use seeds, as I have a pretty fancy cabbage farm going right now. 

I just wanted to make people aware/see if anyone else experienced this. I want my Fing seeds. 

hmm i got 30.8 started a new sandbox game , loot set to very high and i cant find any jar or vinegar ... bug or ultra bad luck ?

Oh and i think ramen noodle recipe is broken on mp and sp.

BTW finnaly after over 150h i got my ass kicked in mp by zeds ! was fun thanks TIS :D

Jar are quite rare in home, need to see if it's not getting too easy with that...

But you can find much more on a house ware store, there's one in the mall :)

Maybe we could find some in convenience/food stores ? Like the Gigamart in WP or the little food market in Muldraugh

Jar are quite rare in home, need to see if it's not getting too easy with that...

..No...you wont make me go there again...

I seen Jars in normal stores tho, in West Point there should be some in some of the stores.

ok gonna make a bit more running :D but ive looted giga mart and around 20 houses w/o single jar or vinegar

--Edit--

I found some jars in the mall but still no vinegar :-( the loot was set to very high so my luck sux :-P

To the couple of people repeatedly proposing short term exertion systems:

They already tried it. It never worked. Balancing it was impossible and it added nothing to gameplay. You can propose systems all you want, but it's pointless as long as it's just a short term annoyance. That's all it ever was and all it really can be. There's no reason for it.

Actually play the new version for a bit before judging it. Give the devs some time to balance it. See how much more it adds to the game.

In fact m8 in real life you have short term stamina and long term stamina... Trust me, im a crossfiter and Physical Education teacher. You can sprint for 100 meters and when u stop, u cant do it again, but if you wait 2 minutes you will be able to repeat that. But if you do sprints+ 2 min rest  x 10 times in the end youll probably wont be able to sprint much more in the end... Long and short term stamina just like me and Fortport said...

Thats just my 2 pennies too ;P 

Alright. Played 30.7 for several hours, two months into the game, and I can't deal with the exertion change anymore. It doesn't make the game challenging and certainly doesn't make it fun. Making the player retreat after every ten minutes of gameplay to spend four minutes "resting" is a really bad design choice. Please, please consider altering this, or making the game mechanic optional (if it isn't already).

Sounds to me like your problem is that you're playing PZ wrong. You're playing it like an arcade action game, and it's not. If you're exhausted all the time, you're probably doing something wrong.

Don't condescend to me. You have no idea how I play. I play like I've been playing for years, since story mode still existed and massive groups of zombies would appear practically out of thin air: by avoiding combat when possible and fighting when I have to. I've survived for in-game years doing this, so you'll forgive me for not realising that I've been "playing it wrong" this whole time. But now along comes a patch that simultaneously makes zombies group together and makes it painfully tedious to fight zombies in groups, and suddenly people like myself who were under the impression that this is a game where you fight zombies, can't do so anymore without taking a nap every few minutes. It's not challenging, and it's not fun.

sorry, but the way people are acting with this new build is rather disappointing. instead of understanding that this is yet another step in the progression of the game, that the game is continuing to move forward toward V1.0, we get a small vocal minority who act like the Dev Team just stole their candy.

try to remember, the new Exertion is NOT a finished product, there is some fine tuning to do still.

what will help get it fine tuned is instead of griping and complaining, we post actual constructive criticism. 

just saying that "this broke my game and i hate it and i think it sucks" does not help in any possible way, other than to alert the community which members will act that way.

personally, i think it is a damn good start. as more CONSTRUCTIVE criticism come along, hopefully with video so it is obvious what the person is talking about, the Devs can narrow their focus and get it taken care to the majority of the players satisfaction. not gonna have 100% of players happy, there is always some one who wants to cut off heads and spike them, or they demand this feature or that feature (black smithing, katanas, reloadable bullets....a cure..)

so please people, before going off on a rant or tangent, take a few deep breaths and find a way to post something constructive, or find a post that was already written with similar ideas, and quote and if possible expound on the idea in a calm, constructive, logical way.

the Devs already have a full slate of work to do, lets not waste their time weeding out the nonsense to try and find the hidden gold.

Alright. Played 30.7 for several hours, two months into the game, and I can't deal with the exertion change anymore. It doesn't make the game challenging and certainly doesn't make it fun. Making the player retreat after every ten minutes of gameplay to spend four minutes "resting" is a really bad design choice. Please, please consider altering this, or making the game mechanic optional (if it isn't already).

Sounds to me like your problem is that you're playing PZ wrong. You're playing it like an arcade action game, and it's not. If you're exhausted all the time, you're probably doing something wrong.

Don't condescend to me. You have no idea how I play. I play like I've been playing for years, since story mode still existed and massive groups of zombies would appear practically out of thin air: by avoiding combat when possible and fighting when I have to. I've survived for in-game years doing this, so you'll forgive me for not realising that I've been "playing it wrong" this whole time. But now along comes a patch that simultaneously makes zombies group together and makes it painfully tedious to fight zombies in groups, and suddenly people like myself who were under the impression that this is a game where you fight zombies, can't do so anymore without taking a nap every few minutes. It's not challenging, and it's not fun.

I been playing this game for a long time too like you, i was never under the impression that in this game i need to kill the whole horde to have fun.

The new system only kinda limits how much you can run and fight, making a balance and actually making you try to think ahead of what you are going to do.

Now i kill only when i REALLY need to kill zombies, cause if you just keep killing zombies, you are not going to be able to run back to your safehouse anymore and you are going to found youself in the middle of the city at night, tierd and zombies trying to eat you.

Sure the system may have some flaws, but is going to be fixed anyway, dont tell me you didnt change your way to play when they added that little circle to aim guns? Or to charge a swing? I did cause those changed...well changed the gameplay a lot, this now will change the gameplay and we need to get used to it, i didnt like how we could keep running forever around the city taking very small breaks, now if we run for a while, we need to rest for a while too, and if we keep running we are going to be out of breath very soon.

I'll use official words to answer your concerns ^^

from http://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/617321352375649325/ :

"In short - If its genuinely too hard, we'll try and balancing it so its JUST hard enough. There are likely bugs and balance issues still. It's still in balancing and its possible we've gone OTT with some changes and there are still bugs. Some people are reporting getting exhausted off killing 3-4 zombies and if that happens its a bug. In other cases. it's also possible the game's difficulty in previous versions has let you learn bad habits that are your undoing, or that surviving for months has become such an expected outcome that anything short of that strikes you as broken."

Like I've said, I don't want to kill every zombie. I just don't want fighting groups of zombies in the game to be reduced to a situation where you have to constantly duck into the nearest house for a rest after every two or three kills. It also shouldn't be as much of a pain in the ass as it is now to get from Muldraugh to West Point. Perhaps it was previously balanced for the assumption that people could sprint forever, or perhaps the default time dilation is off or the map just has too much empty space, but a six mile trip up the road shouldn't be a three day voyage that requires a tent to get through.

First of all, you don't condescend "to" someone, you ARE condescending to someone.

On topic, your last sentence proves my entire point. You think the game is about fighting zombies and that is EXACTLY the behavior the devs are trying to cull with this update.

So ya, it's time to relearn how to play. If you want to kill hordes ten you have to go rest doing it. If you're not wanting to kill hordes, then you don't have to rest in fights because it's easy to get through small ones- I've done it many times.

Like I've said, I don't want to kill every zombie. I just don't want fighting groups of zombies in the game to be reduced to a situation where you have to constantly duck into the nearest house for a rest after every two or three kills. It also shouldn't be as much of a pain in the ass as it is now to get from Muldraugh to West Point. Perhaps it was previously balanced for the assumption that people could sprint forever, or perhaps the default time dilation is off or the map just has too much empty space, but a six mile trip up the road shouldn't be a three day voyage that requires a tent to get through.

This just further proves my point. The trip between Muldraugh and West Point was always meant to be a major challenge not just a short time with the sprint key mashed.

I'm sorry that you want PZ to be an action arcade game but that's not what it is or what it was ever meant to be.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that it takes three days now anyways; walking doesn't give you any exertion. If you're not treating sprint like an always on key then it's close to the same trip it's always been.

But that's not how you're playing. You're trying to sprint everywhere and kill every zombie along the way. You can deny it, but there's no way you're getting exhausted any other way.

Just had a random idea, What about making the Last Stand mode an assumed arcade mode ? Removing exertion and such, just an endless zombie tower defense and infinite skull bashing.

So people who mainly want to fight zombies can move their attention to the Survival mode if they get frustrated by the Survival challenge as you guys (the devs) envision it.

Just had a random idea, What about making the Last Stand mode an assumed arcade mode ? Removing exertion and such, just an endless zombie tower defense and infinite skull bashing.

So people who mainly want to fight zombies can move their attention to the Survival mode if they get frustrated by the Survival challenge as you guys (the devs) envision it.

Not a bad idea. Another would be to have the option to adjust endurance settings in Sandbox mode, so those that want to either just go on a bashing spree, or make the game a little less punishing, can otherwise play the normal game, but with settings that suit their gameplay style...

People have to realize that people criticising this stamina system IS CONTRUCTIVE. In my case i criticized the killing 3 zombies and beeing exausted and apparently as the DEV said that is a BUG. I just reported it and gave a sollution for it... U can take the sollution or just choose a new one, and i bet the Devs will find an even better sollution then mine so... everyone has the right to an opinion... and this game and its devs are awesome because they always hear someones opinion. good or bad, its just that an opinion. Offcourse the game  is gonna evolve and improve, i dont need noone to tell me that. And yes, the game as the stamina is is almost unplayable for someone like me that has 1 hour to play a day. i dont want to play 15 minutes, rest 20 and sleep 25 XD

People have to realize that people criticising this stamina system IS CONTRUCTIVE. In my case i criticized the killing 3 zombies and beeing exausted and apparently as the DEV said that is a BUG. I just reported it and gave a sollution for it... U can take the sollution or just choose a new one, and i bet the Devs will find an even better sollution then mine so... everyone has the right to an opinion... and this game and its devs are awesome because they always hear someones opinion. good or bad, its just that an opinion. Offcourse the game  is gonna evolve and improve, i dont need noone to tell me that. And yes, the game as the stamina is is almost unplayable for someone like me that has 1 hour to play a day. i dont want to play 15 minutes, rest 20 and sleep 25 XD

Thank god we have the fast foward buttons so you dont have to watch your character stand there "resting" in the chair.

Animations for sitting down when?

Pls

First of all, you don't condescend "to" someone, you ARE condescending to someone.

I hope you're being ironic. If not, here.

As for the rest of your post, it doesn't seem to address much of what I actually write anyway, so there may be little point in my repeating what I've already said, but I at least am prepared to post in good faith, so here's a summary: I don't want to kill everything. I never play this way. I do want unavoidable fights to be fun and not to devolve into a tedious exercise of walking back and forth between the nearest chair or bed until the zombies are all gone. As for walking between Muldraugh and West Point, it takes 23 hours of nonstop walking to do this in PZ. You shouldn't be able to walk for 23 hours anyway, because being exhausted should make you pass out, but in any case, it isn't a major challenge, it's half an hour of walking along a road occasionally altering your course to sidestep a zombie. It's another case of added tedium for no additional challenge. Maybe it would've been better if other forms of locomotion had been added before sprinting was nerfed, but that's not the case.

I don't want the game to be easy, or an 'arcade action game', but I don't like to see changes made in the name of challenge adding unnecessary tedium to the game instead.

I'm not impressed with the reaction I've received to criticism of the game from others here. It should go without saying that I love PZ, but people who come to the forum to say that they feel a new feature detracts from the game should not be told off and talked down to, least of all by a moderator.

@Rathlord - The problem is, you won't stop people from killing zombies in mass, we'll just find new ways to do it. We'll effectively find ways to work around the problem of zombies, like as of next patch camp fire is just going to be the go-to method for frying large hoards and it'll just be used by a lot more people now that weapons are a lot less viable.

You can patch all you like to encourage different gameplay but we'll find ways around it. Because of the rest changes I guess I'll have to carry a tent around with me which is tragic, but it does encourage basing and hoarding of loot which I really enjoy because it is little treasure troves around the map I can track down.

*Edit* I am with you Florin, this patch slows down the pace of the game when the difficulty could come from other places.

So, I finally made an account (been around since .16) because I think I have an idea worth sharing for once. I haven't gotten my grubby hands on 30.7 yet, but my understanding is that you can sleep to recharge this long term stamina. But it seems silly I can do a bunch of construction, sleep, then spring out of bed and do more, but in real life you can't really function at all when you wake up. I propose a "groggy" moodle that appears for an hour or so (decreasing in severity) that will hinder coordination, strength, and make you colder after you wake up.

This isn't part of the original idea, but maybe stimulants like coffee could alleviate the effect as well.

Edit: to clarify I mean stimulants would alleviate the "groggy" effect, a la "morning cup o' joe"