RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

- A series of really loud beeps and then the world started to reset, safe house vanished everything I built went away and a fair number of zombies started spawning all around me.

My server also had the "loud beeping" problem (Just about 10 minutes ago) and we had to hard reset everything. All our data was corrupted and no one could join without red text saying that an error has occurred.

If your server dies like this we'd like to see any error messages in the console.  Although, the loud beeping sounds like hardware failure or overheating.   :cry:  Or running out of memory messing up the sound system somehow?

I really want to be a beta tester. I have been a beta tester before. the game I tested was battle block theater (the steam version) so I was wondering is there a chance I could help I love the game and I would be overjoyed to know that I help with making the game even in the slightest way. If you don't want me to be part of the beta testing thats just fine just tell that you don't want me to beta test so that I don't get my hopes up. ps I just made this account but I have had project zomboid sense September 2013.

I really want to be a beta tester. I have been a beta tester before. the game I tested was battle block theater (the steam version) so I was wondering is there a chance I could help I love the game and I would be overjoyed to know that I help with making the game even in the slightest way. If you don't want me to be part of the beta testing thats just fine just tell that you don't want me to beta test so that I don't get my hopes up. ps I just made this account but I have had project zomboid sense September 2013.

look theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

- A series of really loud beeps and then the world started to reset, safe house vanished everything I built went away and a fair number of zombies started spawning all around me.

My server also had the "loud beeping" problem (Just about 10 minutes ago) and we had to hard reset everything. All our data was corrupted and no one could join without red text saying that an error has occurred.

If your server dies like this we'd like to see any error messages in the console.  Although, the loud beeping sounds like hardware failure or overheating.   :cry:  Or running out of memory messing up the sound system somehow?

Yeah I would have reported a bug but didn't save the console output. And this happened to all three people on my server. So I don't think its a hardware issue. The two other players heard it while odd zombie behavior and odd world corruption was happening. Then they logged off to let me restart to see if that fixed it. When I joined I was greeted by red text saying an unknown error has occurred and what sounded like two sets of three sequential beeps.

They then deleted their saves and I had to hard reset my server. I however did not delete my local save and after the hard reset I still had my character and all his possessions. The safe house I was in however reset (Most likely due to the server reset). So as it turns out the local files where fine. Server side messed up somehow. I wish I had more info. We where using build 30.5 at the time.

look theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

thanks I did read that before but I didn't see the code I thought it was invitation only. I just found out that the indiestone forums existed today. 

the funny thing about the I will back up my save beta test is that I dont care about my saves because I never make it far. and if I did then I wouldn't mined because I like only ever play on a save for like a week at most and then get board and make a new one... I should probably work on that.

Came out of lurkdom to opt in last night, spent most of today playing with the new medical system- I made a new save entirely devoted to finding new and interesting ways to injure myself. (Ironically it's actually one of the farthest lasting saves I've had, since I need to build up to survive having a useless limb long enough to figure out timing.)

Thinky thoughts: it doesn't tell you if you've already disinfected a wound. No text with the wound saying it's been cleaned, and the option to disinfect the same wound stays. If you're not paying attention and/or heavily wounded you can easily disinfect the same wound more than once, wasting supplies. I do and don't like not knowing if I'm done treating a wound- scratches were easy enough to figure out, but sutures and splints not so much. It makes sense for someone not well versed in field medicine/first aid... I haven't maxed my first-aid skill yet but from what I've heard it doesn't make guessing healing time any easier. Even a vague indicator for the higher level skills would be nice... something like (healing) and (probably healed), with the second having a chance of stopping too soon and potentially re-injuring yourself. (I also like the idea of partially-healed wounds. Just because you've taken the splint off doesn't mean you can go back to running and climbing. These aren't really suggestions or anything, I just have to stream-of-consciousness things or I end up getting stuck on phrasing. Anxiety is fun!)

Speaking of treatment time and partially healed wounds... I had an interesting thing where I'd sutured a deep wound about a week ago (for the second time. Turns out the heal time is NOT the same as for scratches! I kinda figured that, but I clicked the wrong thing and ended up bleeding all over my base trying to find my suture needle) and decided it was time to see if it was done healing. So I took the sutures out (this time with needle handy, just in case) and found it had become just a scratch. Ok cool, I said to myself, and disinfected and wrapped it. By the next day it had bled through, so I took of the bandage to find... a sutured wound! I actually had to check my notes and make sure I'd actually removed the sutures the day before. Removing the sutures once again gave me another scratched wound, which I have treated as usual. Not enough time has passed to see if it resets to being sutured again.

(I realize I could have said 'stitched' at any point there but 'suture' is such a great word.)

Also I really wish there was a way for me to get shot in single player. (Never thought I'd type that.) I wanna play with bullet wounds!

Came out of lurkdom to opt in last night, spent most of today playing with the new medical system- I made a new save entirely devoted to finding new and interesting ways to injure myself. (Ironically it's actually one of the farthest lasting saves I've had, since I need to build up to survive having a useless limb long enough to figure out timing.)

Thinky thoughts: it doesn't tell you if you've already disinfected a wound. No text with the wound saying it's been cleaned, and the option to disinfect the same wound stays. If you're not paying attention and/or heavily wounded you can easily disinfect the same wound more than once, wasting supplies. I do and don't like not knowing if I'm done treating a wound- scratches were easy enough to figure out, but sutures and splints not so much. It makes sense for someone not well versed in field medicine/first aid... I haven't maxed my first-aid skill yet but from what I've heard it doesn't make guessing healing time any easier. Even a vague indicator for the higher level skills would be nice... something like (healing) and (probably healed), with the second having a chance of stopping too soon and potentially re-injuring yourself. (I also like the idea of partially-healed wounds. Just because you've taken the splint off doesn't mean you can go back to running and climbing. These aren't really suggestions or anything, I just have to stream-of-consciousness things or I end up getting stuck on phrasing. Anxiety is fun :D)

Speaking of treatment time and partially healed wounds... I had an interesting thing where I'd sutured a deep wound about a week ago (for the second time. Turns out the heal time is NOT the same as for scratches! I kinda figured that, but I clicked the wrong thing and ended up bleeding all over my base trying to find my suture needle) and decided it was time to see if it was done healing. So I took the sutures out (this time with needle handy, just in case) and found it had become just a scratch. Ok cool, I said to myself, and disinfected and wrapped it. By the next day it had bled through, so I took of the bandage to find... a sutured wound! I actually had to check my notes and make sure I'd actually removed the sutures the day before. Removing the sutures once again gave me another scratched wound, which I have treated as usual. Not enough time has passed to see if it resets to being sutured again.

(I realize I could have said 'stitched' at any point there but 'suture' is such a great word.)

I really like the estimated healing time remaining suggestion. As well as some indication that you had already disinfected a wound. Its easy to remember if you disinfected the single wound but when a player is heavily wounded it can become unwieldy.

EDIT: Maybe the wound can look dirty on the health panel and clean after you disinfect? Might be a bit more immersive than a text indication.

-snip-

I really like the estimated healing time remaining suggestion. As well as some indication that you had already disinfected a wound. Its easy to remember if you disinfected the single wound but when a player is heavily wounded it can become unwieldy.

EDIT: Maybe the wound can look dirty on the health panel and clean after you disinfect? Might be a bit more immersive than a text indication.

I do like the visual idea better than just text. And you'd have to learn to pay attention to the image as well- if you're careful and thorough you're more likely to do everything right where if you're panicked or in a hurry it becomes easy to miss a few injuries. It's a more natural oops than not maintaining the list of disinfected injuries in your head.

Addendum to my magically re-stitching wound: it did it again! I took off the dirty bandage off the scratch this morning to find a nicely sutured wound.

(Did bleeding always make you track visible blood or is that new? It's been a while since I've had a bleeding wound until I started intentionally injuring myself, so I could have just not noticed it before. The floor of my first safehouse is very, very red. I can see bloodstained doctors' 'offices'/medics' in multiplayer. Do wish there was a way to clean it up though. It's unsanitary.)

-snip-

I do like the visual idea better than just text. And you'd have to learn to pay attention to the image as well- if you're careful and thorough you're more likely to do everything right where if you're panicked or in a hurry it becomes easy to miss a few injuries. It's a more natural oops than not maintaining the list of disinfected injuries in your head.

Addendum to my magically re-stitching wound: it did it again! I took off the dirty bandage off the scratch this morning to find a nicely sutured wound.

(Did bleeding always make you track visible blood or is that new? It's been a while since I've had a bleeding wound until I started intentionally injuring myself, so I could have just not noticed it before. The floor of my first safehouse is very, very red. I can see bloodstained doctors' 'offices'/medics' in multiplayer. Do wish there was a way to clean it up though. It's unsanitary.)

That's exactly what I was thinking. It would require you to actually pay attention to visual clues on your patient. More like a real doctor.

Thinky thoughts: it doesn't tell you if you've already disinfected a wound. No text with the wound saying it's been cleaned, and the option to disinfect the same wound stays. If you're not paying attention and/or heavily wounded you can easily disinfect the same wound more than once, wasting supplies. I do and don't like not knowing if I'm done treating a wound- scratches were easy enough to figure out, but sutures and splints not so much. It makes sense for someone not well versed in field medicine/first aid... I haven't maxed my first-aid skill yet but from what I've heard it doesn't make guessing healing time any easier. Even a vague indicator for the higher level skills would be nice... something like (healing) and (probably healed), with the second having a chance of stopping too soon and potentially re-injuring yourself. (I also like the idea of partially-healed wounds. Just because you've taken the splint off doesn't mean you can go back to running and climbing. These aren't really suggestions or anything, I just have to stream-of-consciousness things or I end up getting stuck on phrasing. Anxiety is fun!)

Also I really wish there was a way for me to get shot in single player. (Never thought I'd type that.) I wanna play with bullet wounds!

Definitely agreed. These kinds of things are based on senses that aren't well represented in a video game but it's easy for us to naturally gauge them. Some abstraction of these senses in game could go a long way. Disinfected wounds don't just cause pain, for instance, they cause localized pain that you could pinpoint.

Just some feedback on the medical system...........

Can we have it so you can't repeatedly disinfect the  same wound, similar to how you can only bandage it once (I'm assuming we only have to disinfect when first treating, if this isn't the case then ignore my suggestion). It causes you to unnecessarily waste a lot of disinfectant. If you do want players to use more disinfectant, perhaps tie it in to lower levels of first aid (as you level your first aid, you can more properly manage cleaning a wound instead of dumping a ton of alcohol on it.)

Also, a little bit of confusion about bandages. If we disinfect the wound, is it really necessary to disinfect the bandage as well? I wasn't sure why you can disinfect both (is it even necessary if you disinfect one or the other?).

Added a warning in the OP:

If you experience weird bugs, please first reinstall the game properly, Steam seems to mess with the files because we do a lot of updates these days, thanks :)

@Moose65:

Disinfect the wound directly help to prevent early infection/can help treat the actual infection.

Disinfect a bandage and you won't be able to have infection at all, no need to worry about that.

But disinfect several time a wound is ok, you have to remember what you disinfected, I don't want to put a "if not infected: no disinfect option", you have to be worry about infection, not knowning if it'll come or not (clue: a good doctor will know early if it's infected or not ;))

Added a warning in the OP:

If you experience weird bugs, please first reinstall the game properly, Steam seems to mess with the files because we do a lot of updates these days, thanks :)

@Moose65:

Disinfect the wound directly help to prevent early infection/can help treat the actual infection.

Disinfect a bandage and you won't be able to have infection at all, no need to worry about that.

K, sorry this first part has me slightly confused. So what your saying is, if I disinfect the bandage, there is no need at all to disinfect the wound? That its more idea to disinfect the wound if its already infected?

But disinfect several time a wound is ok, you have to remember what you disinfected, I don't want to put a "if not infected: no disinfect option", you have to be worry about infection, not knowning if it'll come or not (clue: a good doctor will know early if it's infected or not ;))

As for the second part, I meant more of a general "If you recently disinfected, then no disinfectant option." When there's several wounds on the same body part, it can be a little bit hard to keep track, but I understand if you want the player to have to remember it. It would just be a convenience thing.

So disinfecting the wound over the course is necessary then from what I gather? But, correct me if I'm wrong, as long as I keep applying clean, disinfected bandages, there is no actual need to disinfect the wound itself?

Sorry for any confusion I may have cause.

Edit: one more ninja question, cotton balls, are they a more "effective" way of cleaning wounds instead of applying alcohol straight to the wound?

K, sorry this first part has me slightly confused. So what your saying is, if I disinfect the bandage, there is no need at all to disinfect the wound? That its more idea to disinfect the wound if its already infected?

Yup that's it, you use disinfectant on the wound directly if you're already infected, to fight this infection.

Edit: one more ninja question, cotton balls, are they a more "effective" way of cleaning wounds instead of applying alcohol straight to the wound?

Yup, it's better to use cotton balls disinfected than alcohol direclty in the wound, it's more efficient (use less mighty alcohol/disinfectant)

Yup that's it, you use disinfectant on the wound directly if you're already infected, to fight this infection.

Yup, it's better to use cotton balls disinfected than alcohol direclty in the wound, it's more efficient (use less mighty alcohol/disinfectant)

Thanks, that clears up so many things. Right now I've been disinfecting the wound and the bandage cause I wasn't sure how it worked, now I know if it doesn't seem infected that simply disinfecting the bandage is good enough.

RJ, shouldn't people have to disinfect wounds? You don't put a clean bandage over a dirty wound. In real life cleaning the wound is far more important than cleaning the bandage.

Speaking of bandages..........I found it odd that you can clean the bandages with nothing more than water. Seems like there would be a good chance for an infection if you were cleaning and passing around used bandages (from the bandage itself, not from whatever wound you may be tending).

I have observed the following issue: I had cut my hand, so I desinfected, stiched, bandaged it and ate something to get full health back. Since it was still painfull,  I took some painkillers (about half a package). However, painkillers didn't seem to have any effect on the pain moodle or the pain strenghts reported in the medical system. Pain finally stopped after some hours ingame time.

After the next injury (same wound), I didn't take painkillers, but the pain was gone as fast as with pain killers.

Are painkillers anyhow affected by the new medical system? Do I need to wait longer for painkillers to reduce pain or do I need to take even more painkillers for deep wounds?

is there any chance to climd through broken without injures?

Are painkillers anyhow affected by the new medical system? Do I need to wait longer for painkillers to reduce pain or do I need to take even more painkillers for deep wounds?

painkillers reduce pain but not healing time

RJ, shouldn't people have to disinfect wounds? You don't put a clean bandage over a dirty wound. In real life cleaning the wound is far more important than cleaning the bandage.

I think I miss explained it: you can be infected directly by a wound, let's say you cut yourself on a window, get infected, so yes, it's good to disinfect before doing anything, to prevent just in case.

But then also, during the healing, if you put a bandage it's better to disinfect the bandage, to be sure you don't caught an infection during the process.

But you have way more chance to get infected if you don't put any bandage on the wound, disinfect bandage is again, a matter of prevent, you could still not do it and deal with infection if it appear, you'll just have a longer healing time and more pain, depend on how the wound is critical..

Painkiller was bugged, I just fixed it :)