RELEASED: Build 30.12

RobertJohnson

what worries me is if I get injured in singleplayer and my char. doesnt have it in him to go out and find what he needs.  :-|

What are those dangerous cooking based activities? Can someone bad at cooking burn him/herself seriously when attempting to make some ramen soup?  :)

as a hobby-level ramen eater I can confirm that unless you hold the boiling pot of water in your hands, or drink said boiling water, ramen noodles are not enough to seriously maim/injure/kill somebody.

How: Dangerous cooking-based activities.

Symptoms: Huge amounts of pain, and severe health loss.

Treatment: Burns must be treated with a clean bandage, then bandaged again - and regularly kept clean. The recovery time is lengthy.

Really do hope that only means fire.

Just not sure I'd consider being punished for using a skill with both infection and wounds to be fun . . . Particularly not in the very-early game, where you're both scarping by and have no ability to start with points in a skill.

Treatment: Burns must be treated with a clean bandage, then bandaged again - and regularly kept clean. The recovery time is lengthy.

Just not sure I'd consider being punished for using a skill with both infection and wounds to be fun . . . Particularly not in the very-early game, where you're both scarping by and have no ability to start with points in a skill.

Unfortunately, First Aid is sounding an awful lot like this. If I understood correctly, the only way to level it is to treat, and cure, wounds/infections......which means if we want to level First Aid we need to purposefully injure ourselves? This..........is gonna be interesting to say the least. I can already see people repeatedly jumping through windows over and over again hoping to lodge glass into themselves to remove later for skill points.

Hopefully there is an alternative, if slower, method to leveling this skill.

Unfortunately, First Aid is sounding an awful lot like this. If I understood correctly, the only way to level it is to treat, and cure, wounds/infections......which means if we want to level First Aid we need to purposefully injure ourselves? This..........is gonna be interesting to say the least. I can already see people repeatedly jumping through windows over and over again hoping to lodge glass into themselves to remove later for skill points.

Or just make the negatives of it far outweigh the benefits. Don't see doctors in real life learning appendectomies by doing it to themselves; shouldn't be viable in game either.

They need to balance this out, like how if you sprint for about 3 days straight you become a super fast human and you can run town to town in minutes.

They need to balance this with exahustion of some kind.

As the Doctor/First Aid, that is going to be tricky, maybe it have it as depending on the pain level you dont learn as much?

Maybe a First Aid book will give you a bit of information on the skill, like a bit of level?

Thinking about this...how are we suppost to level it up?

I can see it in MP people metagaming it to the next level dying over and over till his friend is a full blown Dr.House character who lost too many friends, but in SP?

Like would you train youself using a clean bandage in your healthy arm, but just to train it?

Like that is kinda how you learn First Aid (damn school), they make you do stuff over and over again till you know how the fuck you need to put the bandage around the elbow god damn it i hated that teacher.

Anyway, maybe there can be a very very passive way to learn First Aid without...well cutting your wrist and then start to bandage it up?

Keep in mind, i am suggesting this for First Aid, not Doctor, i dont even see how you can level up Doctor unless is a profession and is unique at it.

Yup, looks like it cause people problem to understand this, I'll ask Will for a better "How".

But yeah, FIIIIIRRREEEEE

WThe skill is there to show more infos on the health panel, do treatement faster and better (a splint/bandage will last longer, etc...).

But ANYONE even with level 0 can do ANY treatement (clean burned wound, splint...), you don't need to focus on upgrade the skill if you don't want, don't worry :)

Really looking forward to this update. I have been following Project Zomboid since before this forum(this new one), even before the steam release. I remember waiting just for the new update to release the new lighting and basically everything we have now(the new Muldraugh) and being so excited for it to come out. Now we have a new medical system and erosion coming!? You guys never fail to impress. Good job!

New item: Oven gloves, also allow dish cloths the same functionality as oven gloves (or just let the food cool). Just need to find a way to make it obvious to people if you dont use oven gloves/dish cloths to take things out of the cooking box, that their hands will burn in the fires of sadistic gameplay mechanics.

Only problem I see with the medical update is I cant see the various conditions happening much anyway, atleast until the npc's can come in and subsequently try and beat the living dead out of you. I've only ever set food on fire once, and it was easy enough to get out of the house without a burn. The only one of these ailments I can see myself getting afflicted with is glass in my ass from window hopping.

Therefore -presuming the devs want to make playing doctor a big part of your experience and not a relatively rare experience, which I am presuming since it is a skill which would take time to level up fully- there are a couple of options:

1. More negative conditions related to the medical system, as in, getting ill from a virus from staying too close to zombie bodies (or perhaps random illness alongside this). Illness being able to be spread to other survivors too of course. Pneumonia, hypothermia, sunstroke, food poisoning. There are so many places this new system can go to and can provide a more indepth system than: "eat food, get healed."

2. Make ailments currently considered more common, as in, being able to burn yourself taking hot food out of an oven and not just when fire strikes.

I think a healthy mixture of those two options may be the right way to go, and the medical system can of course be built upon for the forseeable future.

Stitch with Twine???

I hope you mean thread....

Perhaps if you're looking for a crude way to close a wound, cauterizing is much more sane then 1/4cm thick twine.

Also, for those evil laughable wounds, saw + cauterize, and call me stumpy? I know the animations aren't there for it but we can dream