Mushroom Farm

Kajin

New type of seed item: Mushroom plugs. Some stores sell them. Set up a pile of logs and drill holes in them with a screwdriver. Soak the logs in water overnight and then push the plugs into the holes. Wait a few weeks or a month or two for the fungal spores to permeate through the whole structure of the logs. Once that happens you'll get a slow but constant influx of edible mushrooms that can be harvested once every couple of days for however long the logs last. Should last for a long time with little upkeep or maintenance, so long as you add a log to it every couple of months.

Whats the advantage of this if you can just farm? and if its a steady source of food with little upkeep then whats the point of farming then if you can do this?

Sounds like itd be interesting to see, but I have a feeling that people will either do one or the other because its easier/a lot more efficient

It takes a long while to set up and it'd only give you a handful or two of mushrooms every couple of days so you'd need a huge number of them to provide enough food for one person to live on them completely. Regular farming would give you more food over a long period of time whereas mushroom farming would give you a small amount of food over a shorter term. Plus you'd likely have to set the mushroom farm up inside a building away from the light or else you wouldn't get much from it. Mushrooms don't like light or heat very much.

I see it as more a supplement to acquiring food rather than the end all be all to everything you'll ever need ever.

Indeed, growing mushrooms is an option for all year round. All you need is a cool, dark and damp place. Some substrate (like wood or any plant matter, really, beans can work too) and a bit of water and the mushroom spore prints and you got a sustainable year round crop. My buddy and I were all set up to grow some mushrooms, we just never got around to getting the spores

And if it was implemented into multiplayer someone could build and maintain a farm while another builds and maintains a mushroom farm. Its seems useful when needing to feed many people and not all want to or are good at farming. For those, they could maintain a easy management mushroom farm.

Ooooh yeah forgot its a year round thing, Ive yet to experience winter in my game...though I cant bring myself to play it anymore since I can survive indefinitely doing what Im doing now...not sure what winter will bring but I dont feel like farming for the next 3 months until winter sets in...lol

I think that you should be able to scavenge for them and if you find them you can plant them randomly around houses or in the forest and they will grow and reproduce on there own over time, BUT they provide little hunger benefit and grow better the farther away from the city and better near damp places like rivers and wells. They also would be able to grow only so much and there could be about 2-15 different mushrooms that may be poisonous. They can also make the player sick or feel sick. It can also make you sometimes see zombies that are not there and cause more harm then help. it is based of the farming and foraging skill. If you have to low of either it will just say mushroom, or a type of mushroom it looks like. Until you reach level 1 in farming and 3 in foraging they will not be determined. It makes it a useful but balanced item. They also can grow in and near houses. being near them for more than 2 hours can make you feel sick and eventually die if near them for extended time making some places dangerous for long term survival.

Could you get some of the plugs from the mushrooms you scavenge?

Well, in this case the plug is basically just a small stick of wood that's been infused with the spore. But I imagine if you knew what the mushroom was you could harvest the root of it and put it in some mulch to try and grow a culture of it for use in a mushroom farm. That'd be somewhat risky, though, since you might not get edible mushrooms after all that work if you get it from a natural source. If you found the plugs in a store, it'd be guaranteed to be edible.

well mushrooms in the wild are not always edible and i like the idea of seed packets but i think nature needs some more foods besides berries that are always safe and stay fresh for a long while. I think mushrooms would add some risk and reward factor. either mushrooms could help or harm you. I think it adds a bit of a new threat and fun. I mean the seeds are not a bad idea but seeds are so common and i think that these sorts of mushrooms with a deadly twist would be cool. I just don't want another 60 seed packets sitting in a crate. I like the different growing style but i think having it be in the wild would help make it a bit easier to survive in the wild as well as add cautions.

In summary:

it is a neat idea and i like it but it will be just another seed packet with a odd way of growing that would help out few and be a waste to more than the few. I am not saying i don't like the idea but i just think the concept should be changed or tweaked.

Could you get some of the plugs from the mushrooms you scavenge?

Well, in this case the plug is basically just a small stick of wood that's been infused with the spore. But I imagine if you knew what the mushroom was you could harvest the root of it and put it in some mulch to try and grow a culture of it for use in a mushroom farm. That'd be somewhat risky, though, since you might not get edible mushrooms after all that work if you get it from a natural source. If you found the plugs in a store, it'd be guaranteed to be edible.

Well if it's between that or starving I know what I'd pick :P

I think that my suggestion could be a desperate attempt at survival if its too dangerous to make it to the farm store so I wouldn't mind seeing both

I think that both is a good idea but possibly the ones in wild could be poisonous or harmful in some way. The the one from stores are rare but that makes it so you can grow them from seeds and find them in the wild. It adds good and bad to the senerio and will make it a bit harder to survive in the middle of the forest.

I think that both is a good idea but possibly the ones in wild could be poisonous or harmful in some way. The the one from stores are rare but that makes it so you can grow them from seeds and find them in the wild. It adds good and bad to the senerio and will make it a bit harder to survive in the middle of the forest.

Or it makes the Survivalist skills more important by being able to recognize the poisonous :D

That is what i has basically said earlier but then they didn't like the idea of it 

DON'T LET THEM GET YOU DOWN BOY

YOU PREACH MAN

YOU PREACH

Seriously though, just because people disagree doesn't mean you shouldn't have your own opinion. :P  Say what's on your mind because everyone's opinion counts!

I say they because its easier than typing names and then starting a fight so i just say they. But anyway i like the ideas of mushrooms but wish they were in the wild and had a chance to be poisonous. Then you could find rare seed packets and plant them near your house. Some glow at night too. Its just a random thought.