Sleeping location differentiation

DannikJerriko

First off: Sorry if this have been made before, I haven't seen it. And if it has been made it a good idea. :)

I was thinking that there should be varying levels of rest.

That is, you should get a small bonus (similar to the one you get for being well-fed) for resting in a bed as compared to a chair or a couch and maybe get a small penalty for resting in a chair. Also, you should be able to sleep on the ground, especially if you have say blankets/sleeping bags, which I do believe has been proposed, here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10914-blankets-sleeping-bags-maybe-even-a-snuggies/?hl=%2Bsleep#entry140908

Thoughts?

I was thinking like a slight boost to healing, stamina, and how long till you feel drowsy again for a good nights sleep in a bed

v.s. sleeping on the floor with a shitty blanket = more prone to sickness, minor pain?, reduced stamina,etc

First off: Sorry if this have been made before, I haven't seen it. And if it has been made it a good idea. :)

That is, you should get a small bonus (similar to the one you get for being well-fed) for resting in a bed as compared to a chair or a couch and maybe get a small penalty for resting in a chair. Also, you should be able to sleep on the ground, especially if you have say blankets/sleeping bags, which I do believe has been proposed, here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10914-blankets-sleeping-bags-maybe-even-a-snuggies/?hl=%2Bsleep#entry140908

Thoughts?

I was thinking like a slight boost to healing, stamina, and how long till you feel drowsy again for a good nights sleep in a bed

v.s. sleeping on the floor with a shitty blanket = more prone to sickness, minor pain?, reduced stamina,etc

I think this is a great idea, though I imagine difficult to implement. This would require the sprites to hold a Rest Value, which I am not sure how difficult that is because I haven't delved into those codes...

Another addon to this is currently sleeping reduces your tiredness to 0 for when you wake up. It would make more sense to not reduce your tiredness to 0 when you sleep in a chair or on the ground unless you have a trait or something.

Agreed! Some off shoots for this could be that continuously sleeping in chairs or on the floor gives you a 'bad back' trait and you can't carry as much :) and/or you get a heavy sleeper perk that allows you to become fully rested no matter the surface. I have a whole host of back problems, so I can attest to these being realistic problems.

Thoughts?

I think this is a great idea, though I imagine difficult to implement. This would require the sprites to hold a Rest Value, which I am not sure how difficult that is because I haven't delved into those codes...

--

As for the codes, couldn't you just kinda copy/paste the wellfed/eating codes and rename/slightly alter? <- this is the extent of my knowledge about PC gaming.

Lastly - Spiffo could = pillow and give you a bonus to your rest :D

Agreed! Some off shoots for this could be that continuously sleeping in chairs or on the floor gives you a 'bad back' trait and you can't carry as much :) and/or you get a heavy sleeper perk that allows you to become fully rested no matter the surface. I have a whole host of back problems, so I can attest to these being realistic problems.

Thoughts?

--

As for the codes, couldn't you just kinda copy/paste the wellfed/eating codes and rename/slightly alter? <- this is the extent of my knowledge about PC gaming.

Lastly - Spiffo could = pillow and give you a bonus to your rest :D

Eh, it unfortunatly is not that easy. All restable objects get the same treatment in the code as far as I know. Though it could be possible to add a hook into the code to add additional effects.

Basically what I am saying it would be difficult to do what I suggested in that is doesnt reduce to 0. What would be easy would be to allow the normal sleep code to go then add a hook at the end to (somehow) determine the sleeping surface and add tiredness "damage" or other effects based on that surface.

Its not hard at all, in the branch that reduces the sleep to 0 all they have to do is add an If->Then type snippet for each type of furniture you can sleep on, I dont see it taking no more then 10-15 minutes if that to add the additional coding in as the sleep code for everything should come from just one subroutine.

Its not hard at all, in the branch that reduces the sleep to 0 all they have to do is add an If->Then type snippet for each type of furniture you can sleep on, I dont see it taking no more then 10-15 minutes if that to add the additional coding in as the sleep code for everything should come from just one subroutine.

It would be easy but ,eh, editing base code is usually a bad idea especially in the pre-release stages because any minor change by the devs in an update would absolutely ruin the mod. Better to have a separate code with hooks that activate on the base action.

• 2 weeks later...

I think sleeping on the floor is a good idea if you have a sheet and a pillow or a sleeping bag. It would make you a little unhappy but nothing major. Then you could sleep on chairs and that would add a little bit of discomfort or a little less unhappiness. The a couch would add no unhappiness and the bed would add a little happiness. The major problem is there is no real effect that would hinder you because you slept on he floor. I mean sometimes i prefer to sleep on a floor over a bed. It may be just me but i mean just a little unhappiness would work.