Outdoorsman - Fast run in Forest

DannikJerriko

Outdoorsman Proposal

This may already have come up or the perks of being a park ranger already modified to amount to something substantial, but I thought (as an outdoorsman myself) that maybe giving outdoorsman more rapid movement through trees and tall grass than normal? I know I always leave townies behind in the bush and park rangers seem to move with the devil at their heels when they need to. I don't think the same exact speed as when not in woods is fair but like a small speed boost relative to Z's and other NPC/PC's maybe?

Or maybe give them better sight/hearing in the woods? – This doesn’t seem as feasible though and is really just a side thought.

Open to criticism and improvements!

Outdoorsman Proposal

This may already have come up or the perks of being a park ranger already modified to amount to something substantial, but I thought (as an outdoorsman myself) that maybe giving outdoorsman more rapid movement through trees and tall grass than normal? I know I always leave townies behind in the bush and park rangers seem to move with the devil at their heels when they need to. I don't think the same exact speed as when not in woods is fair but like a small speed boost relative to Z's and other NPC/PC's maybe?

Or maybe give them better sight/hearing in the woods? – This doesn’t seem as feasible though and is really just a side thought.

Open to criticism and improvements!

The issue I see with this is you don't get a speed penalty unless you are moving directly through a tree or its branches. I know you can move quicly through a forest and the bush but trying to push through thick tree branches would slow anyone down.

Tracking might be an interesting concept though...

EDIT: On that same token I love how the wimpy city decoration trees cause the same speed penalty...

I also +1 more outdoorsy perks...

ORMthMan, I like the tracking idea but I feel like it would be hard to implement? Any ideas on that front.

I know that trees are the only thing that slow one down at this stage (apart from Zd's) but you would also be suprised at how often my townie friends seem to find every single branch/root to snag themselves on, even those that aren't in their path! Maybe still have penalty but just decrease it. e.g. an outdoorsmen gets 50% of the penalty that other characters do? I just want to be an outdoorsman, but it feels like the worst profession because you dont seem to get any real bonus! Thanks for the replies! Its nnice to see I am not alone :D

Just had another thought! Maybe outdoorsmen get a bonus to sneak/losing zombies when they go bush?

ORMthMan, I like the tracking idea but I feel like it would be hard to implement? Any ideas on that front.

I know that trees are the only thing that slow one down at this stage (apart from Zd's) but you would also be suprised at how often my townie friends seem to find every single branch/root to snag themselves on, even those that aren't in their path! Maybe still have penalty but just decrease it. e.g. an outdoorsmen gets 50% of the penalty that other characters do? I just want to be an outdoorsman, but it feels like the worst profession because you dont seem to get any real bonus! Thanks for the replies! Its nnice to see I am not alone :D

Just had another thought! Maybe outdoorsmen get a bonus to sneak/losing zombies when they go bush?

Quote, the simplest way to code it would be to do a get all zombies within x radius (print number on screen) It won't tell you where they are, just give you an idea of the number of zombies possibly hiding in those trees.

You make a good point, a trained person would probably still move faster. Though unless you are playing against the runner zombies, the speed bonus through trees wouldn't add much to your evasion ability... You'd still already be easily outrunning the zombies. Maybe running through trees isn't as tiring? Though that might be more difficult to code in.

Yeah, that last idea might be something, maybe to take it a step further, rustling through trees/the bush causes noise that attracts zombies (even when sneaking) if not really trained. The problem with it being a sneaking bonus is that it is near impossible to shake a zombie by sneaking once it has a bearing on you... as far as I know... I could be dead wrong though...

Th

Quote, the simplest way to code it would be to do a get all zombies within x radius (print number on screen) It won't tell you where they are, just give you an idea of the number of zombies possibly hiding in those trees.

You make a good point, a trained person would probably still move faster. Though unless you are playing against the runner zombies, the speed bonus through trees wouldn't add much to your evasion ability... You'd still already be easily outrunning the zombies. Maybe running through trees isn't as tiring? Though that might be more difficult to code in.

Yeah, that last idea might be something, maybe to take it a step further, rustling through trees/the bush causes noise that attracts zombies (even when sneaking) if not really trained. The problem with it being a sneaking bonus is that it is near impossible to shake a zombie by sneaking once it has a bearing on you... as far as I know... I could be dead wrong though...

Those sound like excellent suggestions! Potentially outdoorsmen get a few minor bonuses to make up for it? Like a combination of running faster/less tired? But I really like the zombie 'sign', in that it would make the woods a lot less terrifying if you are an outdoorsmen, knowing that there are only x zombies around. :)

I think the speed boost is a sound idea. I'm sure someone who regularly treks through the woods and wilderness would be swifter than a city-slicker. As you say, it needn't be an overpowered boost, just 10-15% faster than normal.

• 2 weeks later...