Stop making me automatically drink my water!

ORMtnMan

Eh, if I don't want my character drinking water from the bottle without my say so I just put the bottle in my backpack.

It is kinda odd that a survival game adds the game mechanics to force you to :

* eat manually (SURVIVAL activity)

* open cans manually (STRATEGY activity)

* move items from bags to bag before you are able to use them (only annoying interface hassle)

* drag every single item to the floor before you can pack them into another bag (only annoying interface hassle)

yet it allows you to:

* drink automatically (SURVIVAL activity)

When I was in ROTC Boot Camp (basically summer camp for ROTC cadets in high school) we were flat out told to sip on our water bottles as the day went on as opposed to waiting to be thirsty before we drank our water. Said if we were ever thirsty then we were doing it wrong. My character automatically sipping on the water to keep from getting thirsty in the first place is a good thing to me. One less thing I have to worry about.

... yes, I agree, though, with manual drinking you can handle your character that way. How is he/she sipping from his water bottle while doing other things with both his hands?

Easy enough. Stop whatever you're doing for the ten or so seconds it takes to pop the cap off your water bottle and take a swig. It's not that difficult. It happens infrequently enough that I just assume my character does it whenever there's a convenient moment to do it.

Easy enough. Stop whatever you're doing for the ten or so seconds it takes to pop the cap off your water bottle and take a swig. It's not that difficult. It happens infrequently enough that I just assume my character does it whenever there's a convenient moment to do it.

But the water levels of the bottle go down every time you hit a certain level of thirst regardless of timing, so if you become thirsty while fighting zombies it subtracts the water

Does it really matter? Like I said, it happens infrequently enough that I can just assume my character did it whenever they had a convenient moment to do so. It's not something I pay super close attention to beyond the occasional need to refill the bottle.

I don't really care about the practical aspect of it, but what does annoy me is that I need to constantly check my water bottle to make sure I'm not running out. I'd be a lot happier if it at least played a drinking sound when your character auto-drinks so that I can be prepared for when I'm out of water on my person.

... yes, I agree, though, with manual drinking you can handle your character that way. How is he/she sipping from his water bottle while doing other things with both his hands?

The real question you need to ask yourself is this: did you actually notice the decrease in water level as your character was busy with his hands or did you blink when the water level got decreased while your character was busy with his hands? : )

The real question you need to ask yourself is this: did you actually notice the decrease in water level as your character was busy with his hands or did you blink when the water level got decreased while your character was busy with his hands? : )

I have had a water bottle in my pocket while fighting a horde of zombies, (and I mean a horde, gunshots really start a party) by the time I had used up all my ammo and then some killing a load of zombies, it was empty. Now whether the bottle drained during the times I was frantically reloading my shotgun, while I was taking aim with said shotgun or when I was running away to find more ammo, I don't know.

Does it really matter? Like I said, it happens infrequently enough that I can just assume my character did it whenever they had a convenient moment to do so. It's not something I pay super close attention to beyond the occasional need to refill the bottle.

Well, to moderately OC people like myself, it does matter, though I am aware enough to know I more likely a vocal minority than a voice of the people so I am not going to impose my will on everyone.

Well, to moderately OC people like myself, it does matter, though I am aware enough to know I more likely a vocal minority than a voice of the people so I am not going to impose my will on everyone.

Well said.

Leave auto water drinking the way its (just think of a hidden passive trait that the developers reward us for supporting their game), and if you like to drink it manually, you can alway put all your water bottles in your other bag.

Everyone survive happily after.

I don't really care about the practical aspect of it, but what does annoy me is that I need to constantly check my water bottle to make sure I'm not running out. I'd be a lot happier if it at least played a drinking sound when your character auto-drinks so that I can be prepared for when I'm out of water on my person.

I like the idea of a drinking sound for the auto-drink function.  The sound already does exist when drinking from faucet (just have to chop-off the valve sound at the begining).

Although, on a critic point of view, i believe that checking once in a while for your water bottle status takes less time overall the manualy managing drinking.