Stop making me automatically drink my water!

ORMtnMan

So, as the topic says I don't think it makes sense...

I am jogging around fighting zombies, yet somehow while doing other things I am able to drink from a water bottle as if it is a camel back... Yet, the same does not apply to soda... this does not make sense...

For realism we should drink from the bottle like a soda (you can keep the water units system I.E. don't drain the whole bottle at once). Whereas if you have a camelback it will automatically hydrate you.

Anyway, bit of a rant there... I am sure this could be modded, it just seems a bit hokey to me when I am running around.

EDIT: Plus, it doesn't allow me to plan water usage like I'd want to.

Agreed.  I just learned that you auto drink water from your inventory and was frustrated that I couldn't "manually" drink it.  If they at least allowed you to manually drink it then you could manage your water supply by putting the bottles in another container.

Agreed.  I just learned that you auto drink water from your inventory and was frustrated that I couldn't "manually" drink it.  If they at least allowed you to manually drink it then you could manage your water supply by putting the bottles in another container.

Funnily enough, your post reminded me of that little annoyance... it has gotten so bad that I run around without water bottles so it doesn't happen...

just put your water in your bag

Okay... not be insulting but that is not helpful to the discusion.

I realize I can put water in a bag... that doesn't solve the fact that it is still unrealistic. To have my character somehow absorb water, I guess by osmosis, from a bottle while running, hacking down trees, killing zombies and throwing other objects into my bag (which fills up my bag to the point where I can't fit the water bottle in there).

On that same token, how is there a difference in my absorbing that water if it is in my backpack as opposed to say a pocket of my pants. (The bottle is not in my hand, an axe is after all)

It's done to prevent you having to water your player every couple of minutes.

And, nin4 is right: placing water bottles in a separate bag, rather than your main inventory, should allow you to drink them manually, if you so choose.

Yeah, I get that, though I guess I would rather water my character... The more I think of it though it would just be more annoying for more people... Maybe I'll just make a mod...

Yeah, but when you put it in a bag, I have to pull it out to drink it! AND now I sound super complainey for no reason... so... I'm gonna stop :)

holstered bottle on the hip with long straw connected with you mouth, so you can sip anytime you get a little thirsty, even smashing zombies heads with a bunch of logs on your shoulders))

That is obviously what is going on. That or all the water bottles are connected to IV-Drips on poles taped to your back...

The best way to stay hydrated is to just keep a bottle on you at all times and sip at it whenever you get a chance. I like that the characters do that. One less thing I have to worry about. I keep one bottle of water in my inventory for my character at all times and the rest of my stored water in my backpack, if I happen to be carrying more than one bottle (though I usually don't).

For me, though, water management is filling up every available container and storing them away for the (non) rainy days.

The best way to stay hydrated is to just keep a bottle on you at all times and sip at it whenever you get a chance. I like that the characters do that. One less thing I have to worry about. I keep one bottle of water in my inventory for my character at all times and the rest of my stored water in my backpack, if I happen to be carrying more than one bottle (though I usually don't).

For me, though, water management is filling up every available container and storing them away for the (non) rainy days.

Oh, trust me I do that too I'd just rather drink from faucets when I get to a building I am looting (while the water is still on) than drink from my bottle while getting there. Yes I know I can just fill it up when I get there... it is just how I like to think of it/deal with it.

• 4 months later...

Oh, trust me I do that too I'd just rather drink from faucets when I get to a building I am looting (while the water is still on) than drink from my bottle while getting there. Yes I know I can just fill it up when I get there... it is just how I like to think of it/deal with it.

I am all for seeing the Project move towards more and more realistic implementations, but with endless possibilities it seems that having an animation and/or a micro-management option for everything would be nearly impossible. And for the end user it could end up being downright tedious. Certain small daily living tasks seem perfectly fine left to the imagination. I don't see my character taking a leak every few hours and that's okay too. As long as the things like having the right items, skills, and time to carry out tasks is well balanced and thought out then realism is more or less achieved. Again, endless possibilities. For that reason, carefully prioritizing what to put into the game seems necessary. And realistic. 

I am all for seeing the Project move towards more and more realistic implementations, but with endless possibilities it seems that having an animation and/or a micro-management option for everything would be nearly impossible. And for the end user it could end up being downright tedious. Certain small daily living tasks seem perfectly fine left to the imagination. I don't see my character taking a leak every few hours and that's okay too. As long as the things like having the right items, skills, and time to carry out tasks is well balanced and thought out then realism is more or less achieved. Again, endless possibilities. For that reason, carefully prioritizing what to put into the game seems necessary. And realistic. 

(wow pseudo-necrothread)

I absolutely agree, I don't think it is feasible to implement, or fair to those who want a slightly more casual experience and I certainly am not going to go out of my way to change/fix it. I am just one of those people that get off to micro-managey games, so when some details I'd like to MM can't be, I get a little irked... In this case I got around my qualms by always sticking my waterbottles in my bag instead of my main inventory...

One the same token I would be annoyed by the requirement to fulfill bodily functions on a regular basis, so there is a limit to the micromanagement I enjoy...

The more I think about it, the reason this function annoyed me is that the concept went beyond my ability to reasonably suspend my belief, that is key for sci-fi/fantasy/games in general.

Another example of ability to suspend belief is if a dinosaur popped up in PZ, that would make me very angry, however if a dino popped up in Jurassic Park... eh, sounds about right. Or how in most fantasy games it is perfectly normal to have dragons but talking dogs are abnormal... (Skyrim pokes fun at this).

So when my character is able to absorb water from a bottle while running from or fighting zombies (with a bat/axe in both hands) or building a wall, it crosses that line of reasonable suspension of belief.

holstered bottle on the hip with long straw connected with you mouth, so you can sip anytime you get a little thirsty, even smashing zombies heads with a bunch of logs on your shoulders))

Or those cap with the to cans and straw...

Actually I had a similar idea

Yea, the ability to mod a hat with a cup holster and a straw so you can automatically drink whatever you put in it :) Like the beer hats. That would be pretty kentucky-ish too wouldnt it?

Yea, the ability to mod a hat with a cup holster and a straw so you can automatically drink whatever you put in it :) Like the beer hats. That would be pretty kentucky-ish too wouldnt it?

That has be on my mind all this time while reading the op. I just imagine an invisible wearable cup holster and a straw to prevent repeative task like Enigma mentioned.

Something that we took for thing for granted in game and those little gems should be left alone imo. Such as the op one, weightless nail (I hoard up 10 pack of those) hehe.

The only thing I truely wish for is a really light transportation that I can build using my precious nails.

Actually I had a similar idea

I like this!

Would you guys care if it was a mod? Might be possible to do with a bit of tweaking. I am a fan of not having to carry water bottles because they are sorta heavy. Would love to just wear a hat, carry 6 sodas, and be able to right click the hat in inventory and use something like "Put Can In...." UI command to put the soda pops in. Still think it should be drank automatically when it is used in this fashion.

This would be pretty complex to mod, tbh. The auto-drinking is in the Java code.

If you want to do it, though, have a look at my dirtyWater and saltWater mods where I already implemented exactly that.

Long story short:

You need to set item:isWaterSource(false) (which is not written to the savegame!) so that the auto-drink functionality does not hit it, and then manually implement the Drink action.

Be aware that this will screw with a lot of different functionality that depends on isWaterSource being true.

This would be pretty complex to mod, tbh. The auto-drinking is in the Java code.

If you want to do it, though, have a look at my dirtyWater and saltWater mods where I already implemented exactly that.

Long story short:

You need to set item:isWaterSource(false) (which is not written to the savegame!) so that the auto-drink functionality does not hit it, and then manually implement the Drink action.

Be aware that this will screw with a lot of different functionality that depends on isWaterSource being true.

This is exactly why I didn't move forward with a mod for it... the negatives outweigh the good here, as much as I would want it.

..Eh?

There's auto-drinking?

...Wah?

I mean, I noticed it in my latest save, but in my previous life I had a full water bottle in my main inventory (with a few extras stashed in my bag) but I had to manually drink from it. I kinda prefer it that way, honestly. Makes me feel in control.

It is kinda odd that a survival game adds the game mechanics to force you to :

* eat manually (SURVIVAL activity)

* open cans manually (STRATEGY activity)

* move items from bags to bag before you are able to use them (only annoying interface hassle)

* drag every single item to the floor before you can pack them into another bag (only annoying interface hassle)

yet it allows you to:

* drink automatically (SURVIVAL activity)

I'd also rather like to have to drink manually while at the same time the games reduces the time I have to fight against bags, windows, pop-up and dropdown menus so I have more time to fight against zombies.

* drag every single item to the floor before you can pack them into another bag (only annoying interface hassle)

You can drop them onto any other equipped container directly. You can equip containers on back, primary and secondary hand. No need to drop to floor.

I kinda hope they don't change the GUI because I've really grown to love it.

Of course, there are problems with snatching items really quickly when a zombie is on you, but that's it.

I hated the UI but got used to it, one thing that really, really annoys me about it is that equipped items are in main inventory screen I just wish we had an 'Equipped' window (Something like in old, old version of PZ and many other games) where equipped items are instead of them being in the inventory. Pants, Shirts , Shoes and Bags are just clutter to me.

As for drinking manually, i'd prefer it be manual as opposed to having water magically disappear from the bottle while I'm fighting the horde. I can see how that can be annoying but then again, it can be fixed with a single keybind. It should also take a short while (With progress bar and whatnot) I like having full control over my character.

Eh, if I don't want my character drinking water from the bottle without my say so I just put the bottle in my backpack.

* eat manually (SURVIVAL activity)

* open cans manually (STRATEGY activity)

* move items from bags to bag before you are able to use them (only annoying interface hassle)

yet it allows you to:

* drink automatically (SURVIVAL activity)

When I was in ROTC Boot Camp (basically summer camp for ROTC cadets in high school) we were flat out told to sip on our water bottles as the day went on as opposed to waiting to be thirsty before we drank our water. Said if we were ever thirsty then we were doing it wrong. My character automatically sipping on the water to keep from getting thirsty in the first place is a good thing to me. One less thing I have to worry about.