Zombie Distraction Techniques

ORMtnMan

I didn't see this in the common suggestions, though I would surprised if it has never been suggested... but here goes.

Zombies are attracted by noise, we all know this.

We can lure zombies to us by making noise, why not lure them away with the same concept.

The easiest concept would be throwing a rock away into the bushes to draw the zombies over there. (You see that in all kinds of movies)

The more ingenious ones would be noise making toys or bomb traps (though we could skip that one if it is too OP (which it probably is))

This could also lead to some crafting to tin cans with pebbles or some sort of alarm clock throwable, etc.

Make sense?

EDIT: Or if we go ALL kinds of crazy with this we could have remote activated noise makers to draw zombies to a target were we could pick them off from a high vantage point with a hunting rifle.

EDIT: Or if we go ALL kinds of crazy with this we could have remote activated noise makers to draw zombies to a target were we could pick them off from a high vantage point with a hunting rifle.

I'm reasonably sure this is already possible with TurboTuTone and Nasko's ApCom: Radio and Walkie Talkie mod.

Turn on a walkie talkie and leave it on the ground somewhere, and then remotely communicate with it, creating noise, and attracting nearby zombies. Also just receiving communications through many of the radio systems attracts zombies within a given radius.

And with the rest of your suggestion, it's been discussed occasionally from time to time. Although it's not a silly idea, the biggest flaw is that it centers on only a single functioning zombie sense.

Yes, a zombie will become alerted/agitated by noise, but sight and smell would also have an effect on determining which sensory trigger to react to - A stone in the bushes, a branch falling from a tree, or a man creeping around with a backpack of clinking pots and pans.

As previously concluded, if balanced right, aural/visual distractions could add much more depth to gameplay navigation, but it would also be an incredibly fine line between gameplay enhancement, waay over-powered, or so underpowered no-one bothers using it.

I'm reasonably sure this is already possible with TurboTuTone and Nasko's ApCom: Radio and Walkie Talkie mod.

Turn on a walkie talkie and leave it on the ground somewhere, and then remotely communicate with it, creating noise, and attracting nearby zombies. Also just receiving communications through many of the radio systems attracts zombies within a given radius.

And with the rest of your suggestion, it's been discussed occasionally from time to time. Although it's not a silly idea, the biggest flaw is that it centers on only a single functioning zombie sense.

Yes, a zombie will become alerted/agitated by noise, but sight and smell would also have an effect on determining which sensory trigger to react to - A stone in the bushes, a branch falling from a tree, or a man creeping around with a backpack of clinking pots and pans.

As previously concluded, if balanced right, aural/visual distractions could add much more depth to gameplay navigation, but it would also be an incredibly fine line between gameplay enhancement, waay over-powered, or so underpowered no-one bothers using it.

Thats another one! Instead of just sound they could be flashing lights. You could toss a strobing flashlight into a field away from your character.

Or say a glob of rotting meat... for those who are more olfactory-inclined

I understand there is the Walkietalkie mod, but this would require being able to throw objects and generate a distraction.

The Devs want to make the game more stealth centric and this seems like it would fit into this mold well.

EDIT Or using a rock to set off a car (eventually)/house alarm

EDIT EDIT: A great example of a combination device is the pipe bomb in left for dead, beeping noise and flashign red to attract zombies. Though for balance (and the current lack of explosives) exclude  the bomb part.

I agree, I love moving zombies away from looting places with distractions but it sucks running to the looting place around the zombies. A agree!

Thank you, I agree. Although this could really be a ****head multiplayer paradise of throwing noise/light makers into peoples bases to draw hordes to attack them.

Edit: Thankfully for me, I don't play multiplayer...

I agree, I love moving zombies away from looting places with distractions but it sucks running to the looting place around the zombies. A agree!

Thank you, I agree. Although this could really be a ****head multiplayer paradise of throwing noise/light makers into peoples bases to draw hordes to attack them.

Yeah, that's the bad part but in multilayer I don't really care about those guys because it's kind of realistic for jerks to be out killing people in a zombie apocalypses...

Yeah, the bad part but in multilayer I don't really care about those guys because it's kind of realistic for jerks to be out killing people in a zombie apocalypses...

Very good point, I know I would be using it to kill NPCs I don't like...

"Oh you want to horde the grocery store to yourself with all your guns? Okay then" *Noise machine thrown*

Yeah, the bad part but in multilayer I don't really care about those guys because it's kind of realistic for jerks to be out killing people in a zombie apocalypses...

Very good point, I know I would be using it to kill NPCs I don't like...

"Oh you want to horde the grocery store to yourself with all your guns? Okay then" *Noise machine thrown*

NPCs are going to be awesome!

This is a good idea, maybe a rock isn't enough to attract many zombies, maybe only 1-3, but the idea itself is great if you ask me.. Would add more tactics into gameplay too :) I agree though it shouldn't be OP.

Well it would act like guns do, the guns attract zombies because they have a sound radius. The rock would be the same, just with a smaller sound radius. The Pistol is at about 150 I think, a rock might be at 40 or 50, maybe less.