Panic effects and traits

Packbat

If I understand it correctly, the Panic system is intended to simulate the effects of the fight-or-flight response on the survivor: tunnel vision, degredation of fine motor control (wild swings with close-combat weapons, poor aiming with firearms, impaired stealth when moving), stress, suppression of drowsiness, acceleration of fatigue buildup, burst of strength, slowed digestion of food, faster clotting of blood, &c. (Not all of these are implemented, and I don't know if all of these will be implemented, but they make sense physically.)

Based on this, I'd like to suggest a spectrum of traits akin to the Weak/Feeble/Stout/Strong set: Intrepid, Steady, Nervous, and Jumpy.

I imagine these traits making the character suffer the negative effects of panic less (or more), but this could be replaced by or combined with making the character panic slower and calm down faster (or vice-versa). Regardless of the details, an Intrepid character would be able to function much better in a terrifying situation than normal, and a Jumpy character would function much more poorly.

If I understand it correctly, the Panic system is intended to simulate the effects of the fight-or-flight response on the survivor: tunnel vision, degredation of fine motor control (wild swings with close-combat weapons, poor aiming with firearms, impaired stealth when moving), stress, suppression of drowsiness, acceleration of fatigue buildup, burst of strength, slowed digestion of food, faster clotting of blood, &c. (Not all of these are implemented, and I don't know if all of these will be implemented, but they make sense physically.)

Based on this, I'd like to suggest a spectrum of traits akin to the Weak/Feeble/Stout/Strong set: Intrepid, Steady, Nervous, and Jumpy.

I imagine these traits making the character suffer the negative effects of panic less (or more), but this could be replaced by or combined with making the character panic slower and calm down faster (or vice-versa). Regardless of the details, an Intrepid character would be able to function much better in a terrifying situation than normal, and a Jumpy character would function much more poorly.

I +1 this, though this could easily be accomplished with a mod...

You know.. the trait system needs to be revamped.. it should have it so we need to choose a negative.. because occupations give you all positive no negative, everyone cant be perfect.. you have to HAVE the one FLAW!

I have no flaws

Except maybe pride lol

Then you are one perfect human being.

You know.. the trait system needs to be revamped.. it should have it so we need to choose a negative.. because occupations give you all positive no negative, everyone cant be perfect.. you have to HAVE the one FLAW!

I have no flaws

Except maybe pride lol

Then you are one perfect human being.

I think the problem I have with that system is that

I am not claustraphobic, agoraphobic, a hypochrondriac, cowardly, easily angered, hard of hearing, brooding, clumsy, Feeble, overweight, prone to illness, shot tempered, a light drinker, unlucky or weak... so that leaves:

Hearty appetite, which fine I can accept that, I work out a lot so I eat a lot

Short Sighted, technically yes but it is like only a -.5 which is negligible...

but I would say I am fairly strong and even tempered... unfortunately, I can't take those traits for lack of points...

Moral of the story I can't realistically put myself into the game...

Couldn't this have just been a comment to one of the other dozen threads about this topic?

Link? I tried to find an existing thread - I'd be glad to start commenting there instead.

I am not claustraphobic, agoraphobic, a hypochrondriac, cowardly, easily angered, hard of hearing, brooding, clumsy, Feeble, overweight, prone to illness, shot tempered, a light drinker, unlucky or weak... so that leaves:

but I would say I am fairly strong and even tempered... unfortunately, I can't take those traits for lack of points...

I think the idea is to improve PvP balance. Maybe there should be a "minimum trait" option for Sandbox - positive allowing survivors with more positive traits, negative allowing survivors with more negative traits.

Couldn't this have just been a comment to one of the other dozen threads about this topic?

Link? I tried to find an existing thread - I'd be glad to start commenting there instead.

I think the idea is to improve PvP balance. Maybe there should be a "minimum trait" option for Sandbox - positive allowing survivors with more positive traits, negative allowing survivors with more negative traits.

I +1 this for sure

I also like how the game calls it short sighted... It should be Near-Sighted... a short sighted person is someone who can't hink in the long term... a near sighted person is someone with short vision...

Am I the only one that caught that?

*Googles*

Apparently, "short-sighted" is the standard in British English. I don't know what priority should be given to making a more faithful rendition of the Kentucky dialect, though.

Ah good point. The Devs are Euro centric (which makes me wonder... why Kentucky?)