Sprinting and reloading gain too slowly

Probe1

I was able to max out aiming at level 5 and only gain one level of reloading.  This was done though serious min/max reload after every shot of the pistol grinding.  That can't be right.  Reloading needs rebalanced to gain much faster so it's reasonable.  A problem with this is reloading is already fast enough at the first skill level if you take away panic or any other factors.  The entire skill needs looked at for rebalance.

Sprinting is another strange skill.  I can run from Knox to Muldraugh and back and only gain half a level or so.  Even intentionally grinding it by running laps around an area would take months of work but I have not tested that thoroughly yet.  It seems like this skill takes far too long to gain points in and needs adjusted.

Skill books could address both these issues, a rebalance of the time it takes to gain a skill point or the amount of points gained, or another approach.  As it stands, it's pretty silly.

I was able to max out aiming at level 5 and only gain one level of reloading.  This was done though serious min/max reload after every shot of the pistol grinding.  That can't be right.  Reloading needs rebalanced to gain much faster so it's reasonable.  A problem with this is reloading is already fast enough at the first skill level if you take away panic or any other factors.  The entire skill needs looked at for rebalance.

Sprinting is another strange skill.  I can run from Knox to Muldraugh and back and only gain half a level or so.  Even intentionally grinding it by running laps around an area would take months of work but I have not tested that thoroughly yet.  It seems like this skill takes far too long to gain points in and needs adjusted.

Skill books could address both these issues, a rebalance of the time it takes to gain a skill point or the amount of points gained, or another approach.  As it stands, it's pretty silly.

I agree on the reloading, not difficult at all and could use rebalancing.

As for the sprinting, the bonus to sprinting speed/distance and endurance you get from only one point in the skill is a lot so I am not sure they want to make it so fast balance wise...

Yeah that's something I considered as well.  I think it's a lot like reloading in that sense.  You gain a lot of speed when you go up a level but by the time you actually gain that level the usefulness of sprinting has been minimized.  

By the time I've gained one level of sprinting, I've already killed so many zombies that I don't ever feel like I'd need to sprint.  The only use for sprint after the early game for me is traveling immense distances.  But even traveling immense distances doesn't really increase the level at a sufficient rate for it to be a factor.  

To max out sprinting and become a world class marathon runner you'd have to actually train in game to run a marathon by sprinting every single day for several hours a day.. for months.  Compared to carpentry that can be mastered in a week or other skills with much faster leveling times, sprinting (and reloading) seem out of place.

Yeah that's something I considered as well.  I think it's a lot like reloading in that sense.  You gain a lot of speed when you go up a level but by the time you actually gain that level the usefulness of sprinting has been minimized.  

By the time I've gained one level of sprinting, I've already killed so many zombies that I don't ever feel like I'd need to sprint.  The only use for sprint after the early game for me is traveling immense distances.  But even traveling immense distances doesn't really increase the level at a sufficient rate for it to be a factor.  

To max out sprinting and become a world class marathon runner you'd have to actually train in game to run a marathon by sprinting every single day for several hours a day.. for months.  Compared to carpentry that can be mastered in a week or other skills with much faster leveling times, sprinting (and reloading) seem out of place.

You do make a good point there. Even untrained sprinting you can get away from a horde easily... by the time I reach level 1 I'm usually not in much danger but that could change with Operation Fix Late Game by Killing You Before You Get There.

I don't think I ever even had sprinting level 1...

Had blunt 5 though :)

Some skillbooks could help

Does it only gain when near Zombies, like sneaking? then that might why.

No, reloading gains every time you reload which is usually not as much as when you fire the gun.

Sprinting gains very slowly every time you hold down the sprint button... regardless of zombie presence.

The best way to lvl up reloading is to use shotgun or rifles. 1 shot - 1 reload vs pistol 15 shots with 1 reload. But still my MP character have 4,5 aiming and just 3 in reloading that way.

And yes running take way to much time to lvl up but then lvl 2 sprinting (once you get there) + athletic perk makes you feel like a car :-P

Same here, I'd built a huge self-sufficient fort and pretty made a large area of my surroundings zombie free before I noticed my sprint skill had nudged up a notch. It did give quite a noticeable speed boost though. I'd love to know what it's like at level 5.

But if the devs are planning on making the game harder, I'm sure they'll tweak the skill increase speed to reflect this.

These suggestions are the reason why I suggested that leveling increments should be smaller or even removed almost completely (not taking account learning new carpentry items etc.)

You'd get better at stuff all the time without having the need to grind, because you're not level 5, 10 or 99 yet. Then you'd also not need to check on your skills, you'd just see the difference. Also basically learning to run faster because of experience points gained by killing zombies doesn't really make sense to me...

Also this way there's no jump between level 1 sprinting and level 2 sprinting. You just get gradually better. If you'd use smaller increments I'd personally hide the numbers from the players, even if it is a traditional RPG thing. That just leads to grinding and needing to be a bigger level than the other, rather than trying to be better in all accounts that can benefit in the situation.

This is, in my opinion, one of those things where the player doesn't usually know what he wants and ends up doing something not actually beneficial considering the whole playing experience and immersion ie. grinding.

That all said, there's balancing needed in all skills and traits, but imo that should be left to later development (read beta phase).

I think sprinting should be a bit easier or all of the skills grow faster but if not used over time they will decrease like if you have level 5 fishing but don't fish for a few months in game it decreases to level 4 or by a bit slowly. This makes players less likely to grind to get level 5 eveything and then never use those skills except every 3-5 months.