apparent port forwarding issues

kelik

so, i know how to port forward, but for some reason no port scanning services can see that my port is open.

im running windows 7 64 bit on a gaming desktop pc, i've forwarded my ports to the default ports for the server, i run the server, it say's it's listening on the designated port, and the windows resource monitor confirms this, i run the custom port scanner tool on http://www.whatsmyip.org/port-scanner/ with the listening port, and it comes back no good.

my first thought was that my firewall was blocking it, so i checked my firewall settings and there are no blocks for java or project zomboid, so i then assumed my isp had the port blocked, i switched the config file for the server to run from port 7777 which some of my other games use, so i know i'm not blocked there, and i still can't get a positive read on the port after restarting the server.

does anyone know what the issue is? please ask if you need more info.

I think that scanner makes TCP connections so it won't work because the PZ server listens on UDP (well, it listens on UDP for the main port -- the additional ports are TCP)

It's actually kind of hard to use a port scanner to tell if things are working in this case.

With my 16261-16293 ports closed this is the output nmap gives me from the outside:

sudo nmap -sV -sU -p16261-16293 -Pn example.com

UDP: All 33 scanned ports on example.com are open|filtered

sudo nmap -sV -p16261-16293 -Pn example.com

TCP: All 33 scanned ports on example.com are filtered

With my 16261-16293 ports open/forwarded on TCP/UDP this is the output nmap gives me from the outside:

sudo nmap -sV -sU -p16261-16293 -Pn example.com

Not shown: 32 closed ports
UDP: 16261/udp open|filtered unknown
sudo nmap -sV -p16261-16293 -Pn example.com
Not shown: 32 closed ports
TCP: 16262/tcp open  unknown

As you can see, the udp port scanning is different when the ports are open but still kind of confusing in terms of verbage while the TCP port scanning is very simple and clear.

Also, even though your firewall doesn't have a block it might need a specific allow (and with windows it would be for something like C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\projectzomboid\jre64\bin\java.exe or C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\projectzomboid\jre\bin\java.exe and it would need a rule for TCP and UDP (or set to Any). Typically you would only need to worry about inbound rules but outbound could be necessary as well depending on your setup.

tl;dr forward 16261 udp and 16262 to 16262+maxnumber of connections tcp or just forward 16261-16293 both tcp and udp if you're lazy like me. Add 'allow' rules to your firewall for the PZ java.exe if they don't exist.