ORMtnMan's Real Guns Mod 1.242 [32.30]

ORMtnMan

1 hour ago, ORMtnMan said:

As an update to everyone, I regret to say I am stepping down as the developer of this mod. My first child (son) will be born within the next two weeks so the little time I have to work on this mod will be reduced further.

That said, this mod is not dead. WN1Dextor is taking it over and I will still be around to advise and help him. I will still be around to answer questions as well.

Thank you all for your support during the development process.

Pre-emptive congratulations on impending childhood, ORMtnMan.

Thanks for the great mod. It continues to make gun nuts everywhere happy. :)

Thanks to all the well wished and congratulations, I really appreciate it.

@ Ramses I think there is the GUNZ mod on the steam workshop.

As for ensuring the mod's future, I would also like to offer if anyone else besides W1NDextor, who said he might continue the mod directly, would like to pick up exactly where I left off I can provide my working files.

In my coding I got the ammo tables to work and I got the reloading and chambering to work for auto-loading weapons and possibly revolvers (I didn't get a good chance to test the revolver code), so it is a good chunk of the way there. I would also be willing to consult with anyone who needs help understanding or adding to my code. E.G through Github, etc. If someone can do what I started better, I would be really happy.

I'm no expert on coding, being as though it is not my stock and trade, but I would be willing to troubleshoot.

Feel free to message me here, PM or on Steam. I'm open, but be patient as the kid is coming soon so response may be delayed for a bit.

3 hours ago, ORMtnMan said:

Thanks to all the well wished and congratulations, I really appreciate it.

As for ensuring the mod's future, I would also like to offer if anyone else besides W1NDextor, who said he might continue the mod directly, would like to pick up exactly where I left off I can provide my working files.

Good luck in your future endeavors (and fatherhood)!

I think the best course of action would be to open source the WIP files on Github or elsewhere.  There's not really any secrets to protect since Lua isn't binarized, and then anyone who wishes to can contribute without having to hunt you down.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:47 PM, Fuji said:

Good luck in your future endeavors (and fatherhood)!

I think the best course of action would be to open source the WIP files on Github or elsewhere.  There's not really any secrets to protect since Lua isn't binarized, and then anyone who wishes to can contribute without having to hunt you down.

Fair point, I am not a github expert. I already had a git setup but I have no idea on how to make it public like you say. As I said, not a coder by trade,

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2017 at 0:22 PM, ORMtnMan said:

The ORMtnBoy has been born, goodbye free time! It was nice knowing you, but I have new more important things.

I literally know nothing about you besides these forums yet I know if you raise your child with the same sort of respect and willingness that you've had towards this community and a mod that you've spent way too many hours on without payment you're going to be a great dad.  Congrats dude and goodluck for the future.  Any chance of pictures of the little ORMtnBoy?

Also @W1Ndextor is it still true that you will be trying to continue this mod?  How's that going?

On 7/1/2017 at 8:19 PM, Blahblah_Curtis said:

I literally know nothing about you besides these forums yet I know if you raise your child with the same sort of respect and willingness that you've had towards this community and a mod that you've spent way too many hours on without payment you're going to be a great dad.  Congrats dude and goodluck for the future.  Any chance of pictures of the little ORMtnBoy?

Also @W1Ndextor is it still true that you will be trying to continue this mod?  How's that going?

Hah, thank you! I'll see what I can do about posting a picture soon.

You know, I have not heard from him in a while... I hope I'm not SoL. Does anyone else want to take a crack? I can give access to the Git and provide support when asked.

12 hours ago, MessiSP said:

im a new player   i  like  this mod

i subscription Real Guns Mod but i cant find any gun's

can find ammo  but  i cant find any gun

plz help me            

Guns are set to be relatively hard to find. Check the police station or gun store, if there are no guns there then you might have a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

First off, congrats on the kid...you can definitely kiss your free time goodbye.

Second, love the mod...the massive addition of realistic guns was much needed. When I see things like 'varmint rifle' it bugs me to no end since I'm a bit of a nut and picky on details.

On 7/4/2017 at 1:45 PM, ORMtnMan said:

Hah, thank you! I'll see what I can do about posting a picture soon.

You know, I have not heard from him in a while... I hope I'm not SoL. Does anyone else want to take a crack? I can give access to the Git and provide support when asked.

Having a fair amount of experience with LUA I've already started rewriting large parts of the code base to make it more manageable for editing and more efficient....ORGMDistributions.lua is down from its 4700+ lines (2800 are actual code, the rest weapon tables) to just over 2000 (400 actual code) while still retaining 95% of its handling.  I plan on working my way through the rest of the files as I find time and will throw it up on github as a fork once I'm happy enough with it.

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi ORMtnMan !

I'm super sad to hear that you're stepping down from ORGM. The fact is you've been a great member of the community and a great modder who took the time to answer questions and concerns about your creation. Now you move on to another much more important creation of your own and I wish you all the best for all your future endeavors. You gave us all gun nuts (at least on PZ) a great gift and I thank you very much for it. Without ORGM I myself would've moved on from PZ until such time it fulfilled its promises (cars, animations, NPCs...). Now you take care of yourself and your family and keep in mind that you made a legion of friends here.

Cheers to ORMtnMan and ORMtnBoy

Your Nr.1 fan

On 10/21/2017 at 1:29 AM, Moss7 said:

Hi ORMtnMan !

I'm super sad to hear that you're stepping down from ORGM. The fact is you've been a great member of the community and a great modder who took the time to answer questions and concerns about your creation. Now you move on to another much more important creation of your own and I wish you all the best for all your future endeavors. You gave us all gun nuts (at least on PZ) a great gift and I thank you very much for it. Without ORGM I myself would've moved on from PZ until such time it fulfilled its promises (cars, animations, NPCs...). Now you take care of yourself and your family and keep in mind that you made a legion of friends here.

Cheers to ORMtnMan and ORMtnBoy

Your Nr.1 fan

Hah thanks! I'm sad about stepping down too. I still linger from time to time answering questions and such, but my free time for coding is getting down toward nil. The ORMtnBoy is 4 mos old now and is absolutely a joy (except when he is not ;) ). I am glad so many people enjoyed my mod, if things every slow down and no one picks up where I left off, I might return... but that might not be for a long time at this point. I also just hit a new point in my career which makes me even busier... Good stuff though.

Again, if anyone is at all interested, I would be willing to be a coding Mr. Miyagi for this mod.

Well my job has ended for this year now, so given that I haven't heard much about this I was going to have my usual heavy-handed play with it and see what happens.

(Disclaimer - I take no responsibility if I create the real life Phantom Virus by accident). I actually finished a couple more models but then kind of stopped between work and that this seemed to go very quiet for a while.

That said it's worth noting as before that I basically don't know how any of the stuff works, and I usually just operate off changing numbers and seeing how badly my laptop combusts as a result - so there are a few some a lot of  things I don't really know as to why they are as they are - these are just a couple of things that I can immediately see that I don't know about.

1) In ORGMDistribution.lua;

a) why there are some tables that appear to be identical (e.g. CWCBoxTable and CWCBoxTable2)

b) why some tables have empty entries that are just "" (e.g. CWCMagTable)

2) In ORGMReloadUtil.lua and ORGMReloadUtil2.lua;

a) what determines which reload classes are used for which weapons - I thought I got it at first until I started seeing Autos on bolt actions and IM and IMNCs and realised I'm not sure at all

b) what "rackTime" and "reloadTime" are measured in, and if there's a specific reason they are all the same at 10 and 30 respectively (is this in frames)

c) what determines if a weapon should go in ORGMReloadUtil.lua or ORGMReloadUtil2.lua

Apologies it's probably really simple stuff - you're talking to someone who's understanding of code is how to do a tiny html thing to make a message marquee across a blank page. :P

If you're busy (as you probably should be with a young child!) and don't know the answers easily enough, don't worry about it, I'll just keep messing - that's pretty much my plan for the .txt files of weapons, as that's probably going to be too much to try and explain.

Hope it's all going well with the usually-joy. ;)

@TOShok Since you may not get a answer for a while I'll fill in some of the blanks...

1 a) They aren't quite identical. Some guns use interchangeable ammo (ie: 5.56 nato and .223 remington) the distribution code decides if its going to use 'table1' or 'table2', which will be either 5.56 or .223. For guns that don't have interchangeable ammo, it will be duplicate in both tables.

1 b) "" empty strings for guns with no magazines to spawn.

2 a) There is a number of typos/bugs in those files (I have a list somewhere) but I don't think i noticed any bolt actions set to auto. Auto should have course be applied to any semi/full auto weapons, and double action revolvers, anything that doesn't manually require cycling the action or hammer.  The other prefixes used in the naming scheme are: MF/IM (magazine feed/internal magazine), NC (no chamber: revolvers/rotary fed guns) and SL (speed loader: revolvers, rifles that use stripper clips)

2 b) Not entirely sure on that one.

2 c) It's actually irreverent (and redundant). Both files could be merged. ORGMReloadUtil2 may have been guns that were added later, but I can't answer this one for sure.

5 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

1 a) They aren't quite identical. Some guns use interchangeable ammo (ie: 5.56 nato and .223 remington) the distribution code decides if its going to use 'table1' or 'table2', which will be either 5.56 or .223. For guns that don't have interchangeable ammo, it will be duplicate in both tables.

I see that there now, I will admit I'd basically looked at the first 15 lines or so and the last few and not seen the few differences in there.

1 b) "" empty strings for guns with no magazines to spawn.

So I need to make sure for every non-magazine weapon (e.g. tube fed or break action shotguns) I include an empty line.

2 a) There is a number of typos/bugs in those files (I have a list somewhere) but I don't think i noticed any bolt actions set to auto. Auto should have course be applied to any semi/full auto weapons, and double action revolvers, anything that doesn't manually require cycling the action or hammer.  The other prefixes used in the naming scheme are: MF/IM (magazine feed/internal magazine), NC (no chamber: revolvers/rotary fed guns) and SL (speed loader: revolvers, rifles that use stripper clips)

I can't remember if/where else I saw it, but I do know the Lee Enfield No 4 is currently set to WeaponAutoMF - that's a bolt action rifle usually fed with stripper clips or individual rounds - by this reasoning should it not be set to WeaponManualIM... or WeaponAutoIMSL (there isn't a WeaponManualIMSL)? I mean the magazines are technically detachable though they aren't intended to be reloaded that way.

2 b) Not entirely sure on that one.

Yeah same. I know each weapon in the script .txt files has an individual reload time for each weapon - so all I can assume is that the weapon reload time is the time to swap magazines, and the magazine reload time is how long it takes to refill. That said, not knowing what "30" is (1/100 of a second, 1/60 of a second, 1 frame) I don't know how I would put more appropriate numbers on that - I guess I'd just leave it as 10 and 30 for any new things. I'd still ideally need to know this for setting weapon reload times.

2 c) It's actually irreverent (and redundant). Both files could be merged. ORGMReloadUtil2 may have been guns that were added later, but I can't answer this one for sure.

The weapon types broadly seem to be different but similar to above, I don't think that either is exclusively for specific prefixes. Also what confuses me more is that some weapons are split across both (most buck shotguns are listed in standard and their slug counterparts are listed in 2) but some regulars are listed in 2 as well, and a lot of switch-calibre weapons have both calibres listed in either standard or 2, but not split.

Thanks for that, for today I'll probably be sitting on Excel listing everything on the front page along with what goes with what and working out what the names for everything will be. :)

EDIT - Also I'm looking at the .txt files and some things make sense, others make sense but I'm not sure what the scales are, and others I have no idea.

SplatNumber?

Edited by TOShok

Huh..the No4 is listed as auto cant believe i missed that one, I defiantly wouldn't classify it as IM though, having owned one I can say extra magazines are far more common then stripper clips and the mags swap out relatively fast and smooth.  Also the No4 in the files is listed as a .308/7.62. I know alot of them in the US were rechambered from the original .303 british after the war (in canada the .303 is still the more common version).  Not sure if the original strippers would hold the 7.62

One of the typos in there is with the 308 version: type = "LEN04308" should be "LENo4308" (it has a zero instead of a o). Same with the magazine.

The splitting of slugs/buck shotguns and the other things you noticed there are what leads me to believe it was a file added later.

SplatNumber has to deal with how the blood sprays after a hit.  Take a look at the unmodded weapons for reference (shotgun is 5). The actual differences between the values I couldn't tell you I've never really played with it.

On 30/10/2017 at 2:52 PM, Fenris_Wolf said:

Huh..the No4 is listed as auto cant believe i missed that one, I defiantly wouldn't classify it as IM though, having owned one I can say extra magazines are far more common then stripper clips and the mags swap out relatively fast and smooth.  Also the No4 in the files is listed as a .308/7.62. I know alot of them in the US were rechambered from the original .303 british after the war (in canada the .303 is still the more common version).  Not sure if the original strippers would hold the 7.62

One of the typos in there is with the 308 version: type = "LEN04308" should be "LENo4308" (it has a zero instead of a o). Same with the magazine.

They are now I suppose, yes - I guess I'm still thinking in terms of the time it was made for service rather than modern day. So in that case, I suppose WeaponManualMF is going to be the answer.

As for the ammo, I think it's because initially the mod wasn't accepting obscure or rare ammunition types - as the Lee-Enfield was the only weapon chambered for .303, it was just put down as 7.62/.308 because that already was in the mod for numerous weapons, instead of having .303 just for that one weapon - because my intent is to no-life my way through this for 2 months, I might well add a substantial number of weapons to this and some of the listed to-comes are also in .303, and it's even listed to change the LENo4 to .303 - this will be done in whatever abomination I manage to create.

The splitting of slugs/buck shotguns and the other things you noticed there are what leads me to believe it was a file added later.

If this is the case, I may well use Util for all the normal guns and just put the less normal ones like slugs, the .410 Bore pistols, BB guns, etc. in Util2.

SplatNumber has to deal with how the blood sprays after a hit.  Take a look at the unmodded weapons for reference (shotgun is 5). The actual differences between the values I couldn't tell you I've never really played with it.

If I'm honest I don't really know the scale relevance of much on the .txt files - my intent was to fill out the existing weapons on my spreadsheet, so I have the AKs and ARs and handguns next to each other for things like range and damage - that can give me a set of comparative points to try and fill out the rest - I'll get to that later.

Also, appreciative of an opinion on ammo;

a) I've for now named shotgun cartridges 12ga Buck, 12ga Slug, 20ga Buck and 20ga Slug. I feel this helps to differentiate the different sizes, and there aren't multiple sizes of buckshot used at the moment.

b) I've elected to limit down the number of speedloaders from one per weapon, but not to use actual speedloaders as they aren't clear as to what they fit. I'll be using a two-part form of speedloaders - all speedloaders will specify if they are for 5, 6, 7 or 8 round revolvers, and will specify a size range of either .100-99, .200-99, .300-99, .400-99 or .500-99 - these will be swappable (like the guns themselves) to fit any suitable ammunition for their capacity and size range that you might need.

Edited by TOShok

See you guys did a great job piecing it together!

I am excited for the talk I see here. Setting the LENo4 as a semi-auto was an oversight on my part. I think there is another, the Mosin IIRC that is the same way. Yes, the no4 should be .303 an oversight form as you said, when I was not accepting odd calibers.

TOShok, if you're feeling adventurous I can give you my half-finished code for making table based magazines and clips... just saying. I can also help you work through it.

The split between the ORGMUtil and ORGMUtil2 is because there is a line limit that PZ will accept, you couldn't fit them all into one file. So reorganize all you want but ORGMUtil is at its brim.

Splat number is the number of little blood gibs that appear on a kill of a zombie... ostensibly high on shotguns and high cal rifles, low on say the .22

13 minutes ago, ORMtnMan said:

The split between the ORGMUtil and ORGMUtil2 is because there is a line limit that PZ will accept, you couldn't fit them all into one file. So reorganize all you want but ORGMUtil is at its brim.

Interesting...do you know offhand what that limit is? The version we're running on our server I've merged them and its at 4255 lines and works fine. The devel version I've been working on replaces alot of the redundant repeated lines with a functions that fill out all the repetitive stuff automatically at start, which saves of lines (and makes it a hell of a lot less of a chore adding new guns)

On 01/11/2017 at 4:07 AM, ORMtnMan said:

See you guys did a great job piecing it together!

I am excited for the talk I see here. 

TOShok, if you're feeling adventurous I can give you my half-finished code for making table based magazines and clips... just saying. I can also help you work through it.

I don't know whether that should make me excited or scared ;)

Does this mean I'll hit problems if I'm broadly angling at getting in most of the OP list of weapons? Presumably that'll also cap out Util2 as well...

I'll have to see if I have a Conversions cap problem as well I suppose.

Splat number is the number of little blood gibs that appear on a kill of a zombie... ostensibly high on shotguns and high cal rifles, low on say the .22

Oh okay, so bigger bang equals bigger splat.

(So tempted to set it to maximum on the bb guns in case anyone ever kills a zombie with one xD)

Edit; after experimenting with a magically shape-shifting SIG550/SR25/HKG3/VEPR12 magazine (I'm a mad genius, the military's weapon designers should hire me), I've found that as the way it currently works, for the speedloader plan I had I'll have to have it like a toggle chain;

Spoiler

If I list multiple conversions for an item in Conversions, only the first one is read, so if I list it as

SIG550Mag

SIG550Mag

SIG550Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

the only conversion that will appear is the SIG550 - SR25 conversion.

While I'm sure that that's probably what Conversions2 and such is for, and there are workaround ways, I was originally tossing up whether to have a rota style anyway to limit down the length of the action list.

That means that I'd currently have it like so;

SIG550Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

SIG550Mag

This means that you'd have to potentially switch it multiple times, but both cuts down the number of conversions in the .lua and means only one entry is added to the in-game action list for the item.

This means when you convert it, it would step to the next in list, so SIG550 > SR25 > HKG3 > VEPR12 > SIG550 > ...

(Obviously I have no intention of using this example in game, it was just my experiment, no magazines were harmed, promise)

Hopefully I got the Reload Classes right, I have them in my data sheet now - just doing some ammo stuff.

Just discovered there are now (and I even killed off a few from the original list by merging them into alternatives) 52 different ammunition types. Wow.

The other thing I'm confused about in the .txts for now is the weight thing going on. Some weapons have a matching Weight and Weapon Weight (like the Bren Ten where both are 1.1), others don't match, and initially I assumed one was loaded and the other unloaded, except that the weight of the weapon and magazine don't add up (like the Beretta 92, with Weight 0.9, Weapon Weight 0.8 and magazine Weight 0.2). To make sure I set this right, what exactly determines these (and what's the difference between the two).

Edited by TOShok

On 10/31/2017 at 9:25 PM, Fenris_Wolf said:

Interesting...do you know offhand what that limit is? The version we're running on our server I've merged them and its at 4255 lines and works fine. The devel version I've been working on replaces alot of the redundant repeated lines with a functions that fill out all the repetitive stuff automatically at start, which saves of lines (and makes it a hell of a lot less of a chore adding new guns)

No except that ORGMUtil is at that limit, I removed/added lines until I was at about that limit. That sounds like a better way of doing it, save some lines.

On 10/31/2017 at 9:26 PM, TOShok said:

I don't know whether that should make me excited or scared ;)

Does this mean I'll hit problems if I'm broadly angling at getting in most of the OP list of weapons? Presumably that'll also cap out Util2 as well...

I'll have to see if I have a Conversions cap problem as well I suppose.

Oh okay, so bigger bang equals bigger splat.

(So tempted to set it to maximum on the bb guns in case anyone ever kills a zombie with one xD)

Edit; after experimenting with a magically shape-shifting SIG550/SR25/HKG3/VEPR12 magazine (I'm a mad genius, the military's weapon designers should hire me), I've found that as the way it currently works, for the speedloader plan I had I'll have to have it like a toggle chain;

Reveal hidden contents

If I list multiple conversions for an item in Conversions, only the first one is read, so if I list it as

SIG550Mag

SIG550Mag

SIG550Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

the only conversion that will appear is the SIG550 - SR25 conversion.

While I'm sure that that's probably what Conversions2 and such is for, and there are workaround ways, I was originally tossing up whether to have a rota style anyway to limit down the length of the action list.

That means that I'd currently have it like so;

SIG550Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

SR25Mag

HKG3Mag

VEPR12Mag

SIG550Mag

This means that you'd have to potentially switch it multiple times, but both cuts down the number of conversions in the .lua and means only one entry is added to the in-game action list for the item.

This means when you convert it, it would step to the next in list, so SIG550 > SR25 > HKG3 > VEPR12 > SIG550 > ...

(Obviously I have no intention of using this example in game, it was just my experiment, no magazines were harmed, promise)

Hopefully I got the Reload Classes right, I have them in my data sheet now - just doing some ammo stuff.

Just discovered there are now (and I even killed off a few from the original list by merging them into alternatives) 52 different ammunition types. Wow.

The other thing I'm confused about in the .txts for now is the weight thing going on. Some weapons have a matching Weight and Weapon Weight (like the Bren Ten where both are 1.1), others don't match, and initially I assumed one was loaded and the other unloaded, except that the weight of the weapon and magazine don't add up (like the Beretta 92, with Weight 0.9, Weapon Weight 0.8 and magazine Weight 0.2). To make sure I set this right, what exactly determines these (and what's the difference between the two).

Hah don't be scared, it will be a lot of legwork to make it work for everything and it will take your life away, but it is fun ;) . If you cap out ORGMUtil2 just make ORGMUtil3 and so on... or find a way to condense the lines like Fenris says.

Its been a while but one of the conversions should be for ammo type, the other for action type (E.g. semi vs. full). There is a much better way than i did and it involves editing the stats of the weapon instead of replacing it. It has now been a while since I looked at it but it is easy to figure out how to do.

As for the weight, it is a bit confusing. In PZ the "weight" is not actual weight but more like... encumberance? So the gun hanging in your bag is more encumbering than in your hand I guess...