Project Zomboid in 1st person (7dtd)

wizardjian

Lulwat?

That post made no sense... buddy :-|

Zomboid is still in alpha, pal. The forums were created by the people making it. 

His entire post was referring to 7DtD, which is currently in Alpha and which he also considers to be the "Best Alpha [he's] ever played".

In his defence, it is a lot more 'complete' than PZ is, even if he is making a post on the PZ forums about a game that he considers to be better than PZ in it's current state.

(After your defensive reply, I'm guessing your post must have been referring to the logic in the second half of that statement? A long shot to get there in one, though.)

His entire post was referring to 7DtD, which is currently in Alpha and which he also considers to be the "Best Alpha [he's] ever played".

In his defence, it is a lot more 'complete' than PZ is, even if he is making a post on the PZ forums about a game that he considers to be better than PZ in it's current state.

(After your defensive reply, I'm guessing your post must have been referring to the logic in the second half of that statement? A long shot to get there in one, though.)

hhGKCuS.gif

It was a fucking joke, dude. Calm down. lmao

hhGKCuS.gif

It was a fucking joke, dude. Calm down. lmao

Sorry, it didn't seem amusing in any way... straight over my head  :???:

Anyone on this forum that knows me will know I have a great dedication towards Project Zomboid,  That doesn't mean I can't think that other zombie survival games kick butt.  I do run a survival game website after all hehe  ;) 7DTD is great! PZ is great!  It's ok to like more than one.  :D

Of course it is, I was only messing about. :P Speaking of which, do you think it's worth checking out 7DTD? I'm a massive sim/zombie fan, though when I last saw 7DTD I simply passed it over (it'd didn't look that amazing). I've learned to be cautious around alpha level games (not aimed at you, PZ :) ).

Screenshots do not do the game justice,  it has some really great atmosphere and if you watch some vids you will maybe see more of that.  As a voxel based game (minecraft style) I think it looks just fine, the lighting effects and shadows are great and going to be improved even more.  When your sitting out on a balcony that you built yourself staring up at the sun with trees and grass blowing in the wind and with a hundred zombies beating and screaming down below you it just feels awesome. 

The crafting and inventory ect is all pretty much like minecraft but with a bigger grid space to craft things, so if your not a fan of minecraft's crafting system you may not enjoy it as much.   Also remember a lot of Special Effects and Gibs (guts / decapitations ect) are yet to be added into the game (this is the reason the current corpses in the game look weird) and once a lot more of this and a proper weather system gets put in, IMO it is going to be a pretty dang wonderful atmosphere and a joy to play.  

If you don't like what you see now perhaps wait until more of the effects and such are finished and put in before giving it a shot.    FYI the Graphics designer of Doom3 is a part of the team that makes this game and if you do not think he knows what he is doing you are wrong.    Also the streach goals on kickstarter were all reached and if you look at the chart  the 500k goal was major world terrain enhancement and cubic landscapes are going to become smooth terrain so trust me when I say it is only going to get better from here.     Just needs more time and more updates.  

I kick started it and played alpha, once it is finally released with all the goals, it will be amazing. It's a little rough now but with all the additions they are planning and graphical updates that will probably come after release, it will be a great rpg/builder/survival game.

I do not wish to pay a  ton of money for a game with no demo. I want to at least know if it will run on my computer before paying for it. I'll just wait until it's out with a demo.

So like... when it's out of development and released?

I take it you've not paid for PZ either then (following that same logic), considering from one pre-release build to the next bugs and issues can appear on previous stable PCs? (I'm thinking of the graphics drivers issue, as only one of many)

I guess the whole point of a game being in pre-release is that it is not guaranteed to run on any given set of computer specs until the issues and incompatibilities have been identified and dealt with.

So like... when it's out of development and released?

I take it you've not paid for PZ either then (following that same logic), considering from one pre-release build to the next bugs and issues can appear on previous stable PCs? (I'm thinking of the graphics drivers issue, as only one of many)

I guess the whole point of a game being in pre-release is that it is not guaranteed to run on any given set of computer specs until the issues and incompatibilities have been identified and dealt with.

I think Etsamaru owns the game, I heard him talking about uploading videos of himself playing it. PZ also comes with a (very old) tech demo and costs $7 bucks. 7DTD however comes with no demo and costs $35 bucks, which in my opinion is kind of an insane price for an indie alpha.

So to assume he doesn't own it when the conditions for both games are different doesn't make much sense.

I enjoy both PZ and Minecraft, so I'm surprised that this... doesn't look like fun to me. At all. I've been watching videos for the last 15 minutes and it's just not clicking.

I'd also have to agree that $35 for access to what appears to be an extremely early alpha seems awfully steep.

I enjoy both PZ and Minecraft, so I'm surprised that this... doesn't look like fun to me. At all. I've been watching videos for the last 15 minutes and it's just not clicking.

I'd also have to agree that $35 for access to what appears to be an extremely early alpha seems awfully steep.

What doesn't look so fun about it?

And although it's still in alpha, it's a heck of a lot further along than PZ is - the base game engine is complete, the current release is (almost entirely) bug free, and all that needs to be done to progress further (theoretically on to Beta) is add in a heck of a lot more recipes, tidy up some models/textures, balance out loot spawns and damage, and add in some more planned aggressive 'types'.

It's one of the few early access games I've seen that still stick to the 'true' Alpha/Beta/RC model, where Alpha is for creating functionality and basic content, Beta is for eliminating bugs and adding content, and then the Release Candidate is sufficiently tested that there's no nasty surprises, and a finely crafted balanced product.

I've had a few friends (and a few folks on here) say how the game seems to be lacking something after watching gameplay, yet they can't quite finger exactly what it's missing (some kind of X-Factor). Once they play it themselves though, most of them (well, maybe 4/5) find that it's incredibly engaging and highly enjoyable when playing multiplayer. The singleplayer is (at this stage in development) incredibly lonely and seems to be lacking obtainable goals to strive towards - I don't think you'll find many people that assert the singleplayer experience is anything near enjoyable. It's a bit like Sandbox in PZ - you use it to play around with ideas you'd like to try out on a multiplayer server.

What doesn't look so fun about it?

I don't know. Like you said, it's difficult to define. I guess it just seems a little.. ephemeral, maybe? I don't care for the tower defense aspect. The survival aspects look like they take a back burner to building traps and shooting up waves of zombies, which, while I'm sure can be fun (especially with friends) it just seems like it would get boring awfully fast. I have the same issue with State of Decay. I keep hearing everywhere what a blast it is, but whenever I watch a video I can't help but think it looks very shallow for a 'sandbox survival simulator'.

And while I don't rate them that highly as a criterion when it comes to buying a game, I have to say that the graphics are very off-putting. Minecraft benefits from its blocky/LEGO aesthetic which makes its poor visuals easier to overlook. Zomboid has a stylized isometric art style going for it. 7 Days to Die just looks... ugly. And old.

All that said, I'll probably shop it around to a couple of my friends to see if they'd be interested. It does seem like it could be a lot of fun in MP (for a while, anyway), I'm just not entirely convinced it looks $35 fun. It's definitely not something I'd purchase for the single player as it stands now; I don't enjoy mindless blasting unless I have partners to participate in it with. :P