Project Zomboid in 1st person (7dtd)

wizardjian

I have always wanted to know how Project Zomboid would look in 1st person.

And a few days ago I've found a game for just that. It is called "7 Days to Die."

Its a voxel based zombie survival game in a first person perspective.

It has crafting, farming, building etc simmular Project Zomboid.

I can't wait to see where project zomboid would go in the future, and 7 Days to Die as well.

Q: Anyone here heard of it / owns it?

1: To ambitious

No more ambitious than any other game in current development. Everything it plans to implement is feasible with current technology, only obstacle is funding.

They got $500,000 from kickstarter. I think they are well funded.

I got 7 Days to Die the other day, and would personally say that it is something you would not regret if you enjoy both PZ and Minecraft already.

Playing by yourself, although rather lame, is a great way to get to know the gameplay and crafting recipes, as well as test out builds for bases and stuff.

The only properly fun way to play is with some friends on a server though. Working together to build a base, defend that base, repair that base, gather and stash stuff...

As far as ridiculous numbers of zombies moving in hordes, it is one of the few games around currently that actually make it a bit of a challenge to fight hordes ranging in size from 3 to 300 zombies.

The similarities to PZ are certainly there, in more than just a "they're both zombie survival games" manner, and the influence of Fallout and to a limited extent, Minecraft are easily recognised.

I would say it is still grossly unbalanced as far as gameplay, though it is not even in Beta yet - so by the 'proper' definition they are still adding content and functionality to the game (none of this "let's pre-release the indefinite beta to the public" bullshit that seems to be prolific among indie devs at the moment. A beta is not a release-worthy game).

I'm surprised how complete it already feels though, most of the functionality of all the existing things is complete and bug-free, with the impending updates only containing more items, recipes, aggressors, and interactions.

The multiplayer feels pretty much lag-free, and besides the ridiculous amounts of memory the game and dedicated servers can sometimes end up consuming, on a half-decent rig it all feels rather polished.

Graphically, though it looks acceptably impressive and contains all the 'bells and whistles' effects and shading one might expect, there's something a bit off with the colour palette - After several hours of sustained gameplay quite a few people I've spoken with have found they develop a headache, perhaps due to the levels of contrast or sharply defined edges.

It's gonna have it's fanboys and haters, but if you're tired of waiting around for PZ to include NPCs, have enjoyed a bit of Minecraft in the past, or your gaming has taken a backseat during the long wait for some upcoming releases then I think you'll enjoy 7 Days to Die.

All that said, the biggest downside for a lot of people here is probably the price. After seeing people claim that $8 for PZ (or however much it is now) is too much for an as yet unreleased game, the hefty $35 tag on 7 Days to Die Alpha is probably a turn-off.

Well, well, well. Now this IS a topic I can relate to. But seriously, I'm going to assume that you're not actually suggesting that they convert it to first person. You're just musing 'what if'. Right? RIGHT?

EDIT: Just looked up 7 Days to Die, and wow, that doesn't look like it's going to work. Could be wrong, wouldn't compare it to PZ though. 

wizardjian, on 26 Aug 2013 - 03:33AM, said:snapback.png

oh god xD they have guns! im so dead xD

... I'm going to assume you've never heard of Doom. I'm going to go cry in a corner now...

... oh God, it's started...

All that said, the biggest downside for a lot of people here is probably the price. After seeing people claim that $8 for PZ (or however much it is now) is too much for an as yet unreleased game, the hefty $35 tag on 7 Days to Die Alpha is probably a turn-off.

I have to admit I am not liking a lot of the indie early access pricing I've been seeing.  I'm not calling out any in particular, but in general I think there are some that are seeing the growing trend in popularity of the early access thing and setting their prices in terms of simply how much money they want to make, rather than what they need to get the game made.  Maybe that's a legitimate fear of having poor sales when it does go final ages later.  I think another problem is that for me, I view early access as a way to fund development, so basically that means minimal profit, the profit comes later when it's final and you charge full price.  A lot of indies are not doing this anymore, you see KS games coming out at the same price as the lowest pledge tier.  Again, this might be a business decision due to fear of low sales at the end, but it kinda bugs me, mainly for KS projects and such where they get the money well before even releasing the alphas.  In 7DTD's case, they did release the alpha right away.

Typical AAA price for most games at launch is $60, although in the world of PC digital delivery we know that doesn't mean much.  Often major titles are already discounted before release, seems like most games can be pre-ordered from discounters like GMG for around 20% off.  So yeah, I can definitely see $35 as pushing it.  7 Days doesn't really look like a game that would even have a $35 price at launch.

Ah, I kinda went off topic, I did that every post tonight :), sorry.  It does look kinda cool, and those Minecraft-like elements (hate to always refer to MC like it's the only game in town but it's just easy) are certainly very popular, and only getting more popular as we can see with future games like Everquest Next.

Ah, I kinda went off topic, I did that every post tonight :), sorry.  It does look kinda cool, and those Minecraft-like elements (hate to always refer to MC like it's the only game in town but it's just easy) are certainly very popular, and only getting more popular as we can see with future games like Everquest Next.

Nah, your post was mostly on topic there, at least within reply to the topics in my post.

I find that the Minecraft-esque term is over-used to describe any voxel based game (of which there are hundreds, besides Minecraft), whereas something truly more than a voxel game but with additional elements also found in Minecraft would be deemed Minecraft-like (so yes, 7DtD being a voxel-based game with item crafting on a crafting mat/table, as well as mining/crafting of ore, and construction of structures does count as being Minecraft-like, I reckon).

As for indie games with a hefty pre-release pricetag, I tend to think of it as paying more to be able to participate in the pre-release Alpha or Beta and have a say in the community about the direction of the game.

7DtD for example, is likely to be much less that $35 after release - a good example of how you have the choice to pay extra and get it now, in it's pre-release form and have a chance to influence the final product.

It might even be your idea in the pre-release that makes the game popular!

oh god xD they have guns! im so dead xD

... I'm going to assume you've never heard of Doom. I'm going to go cry in a corner now...

Lol ive played doom and quake and its much better then that CoD thing >.>

That game looks awful. Adding all of that to a game surely can't go wrong but what they've done with it... It's like they are trying mash 3 different moods together. I can't see me getting this at all.

Well graphically no. Its rather bad. But Minecraft was worse and the thing sold like hot cakes lol.

Ya, I agree with you when you said " I can't see me getting this at all" but I just tried it this morning, and I have to say I am surprised at how well the thing works. (considering its a frankinstien) I just hope it will only get better from here on. Its got promise, I pray they wont screw up since theres so much that could go wrong. (they have a rather nice dev history thou)

Yes it was for me too. That's why I tend to hold on to my cash until im sure of it. Basically I find a way to get a copy of it (friend, web etc) try it, and if I like it, I buy it. If not I just delete it. (NOT premoting torrenting)

7 Days to Die is nothing like Project Zomboid and never will be they both focus on different things.

That's why I used "similar" not "like."

They both have the same theme, zombies.

They both have crafting and building.

They both focus on staying alive.

Not that they are the same thing, they just share some similar elements.

The biggest difference is that 7dtd is 1st person and has no emotions while PZ is 3nd person and has all the mind processing.

I haven't played it personally yet, but I saw a lot of videos lately.

I have to say, you may disagree, it's a giant horde mode game.

If you disagree I will tell you why now:

The order of events is similar to a horde mode.

During the day you gather resources at night you defend your home base or hide in the attic.

The AI in this game is I think particulary horde modish. During the night the night they constantly attack your base even, if there is no evidence your are there. They attack weak spots of your bases and they dig through the ground to get in your base. They are stronger at night or in dark places.

To my knowledge 7DtD wants to be a PvP base defending game.

For people which won't believe me here again an explanation.

PvP can be the death of game. 7DTD makes it particulary easy to get either guns or ammo. You can easily obtain the necessary goods to craft gunpowder. A gun is necessary to survive, otherwise you have no chance against the zombies.

The selection of the guns is also intriging. Up to RPG you are able to craft everything.

I really expect a lot of griefing in this game. TNT ks very easily made and has a devastating effect and even what I have said above about the zombies they are no real thread. They are annoying, but not life threatening.

Just go in a houses attic and you are fine for the night.

The combat is fairly simplistic and you are guaranted to never fight melee.

The aboundence of guns makes it obsolite to have a swinging arm.

The crafting is extensive in the catagories combat, base building and defence.

For is easily farmed by just planting the crops and making sure no zombies trample on them. Water is a little bit more difficult to come by, because you mostly will drink water out of jars which after you drank evaporate.

I get that you eat blueberries raw, which increase food and water, but potatos?

I know I have been harsh to this game, it will probably be good for a castlevaniaesk gameplay, it just hasn't got enough to entertain me a long time.

If you want to argue please do it right.

And finally I really dought 7DtD will ever be something like PZ

I haven't played it personally yet, but I saw a lot of videos lately.

I have to say, you may disagree, it's a giant horde mode game.

If you disagree I will tell you why now:

[...]

And finally I really dought 7DtD will ever be something like PZ

After reading all that, I'm not sure what your point is/was.

Besides getting a chuckle out of your spelling of the word "dought" at the end of it all, what point were you trying to put across?

That 7DtD is a horde-esque game?

That besides containing many similar elements to PZ, it is essentially different?

That 7DtD is more of a PvP based game, than Player vs. AI?

That combat appears much easier than you'd expected from a 'survival' game?

Or simply that someone might find the nugget you buried and dig out something there to form an argument about?

Maybe I'm blind, or overlooking it, but it seems that your post is just an arrangement of your perception of the game after watching some youtube videos.

Although you begin with "you may disagree, it's a giant horde mode game", I don't think anyone yet has denied that it contains some very strong horde-like elements, and certainly no-one so far has blatantly said that it isn't "a giant horde mode game".

I think you'll find, after playing it, most people will probably agree with you - Then again any game where the intention is that you will not survive, must reach a point where it becomes a 'horde game' simply to ensure the player cannot prevent their foreseen death.

If not a hostile horde to bring about your demise, then perhaps something beyond the players direct control - Weather maybe, or an unseen hand to cast 'bad luck' down at the player's feet.

Food for thought.

Realmkeeper I see your point.

I will come back after playing a lot of the game.

BTW have you got the game and played it a lot?

Yeah, I got it just over a week ago now.

I've played about 20hrs, but it's not overly fun in it's current state without friends to play with/against. And the night drags on for far too long when you're holed up by yourself.

7 Days to Die kicks ass!  I love it!  I've bought it and my best friend and wife also own it.  We are on day 34 on our server but we are starting over soon when next update hits.  This game is like mixing minecraft with Left4Dead and Borderlands (eventually when rpg stuff gets put in).    I am having a blast with it and can't wait for more updates.    Best Alpha I've ever played to be honest.  Plays very well and smooth for what it is so far.  Just needs more Content/updates. 

<edit>  also the game has 3rd person mode though it is currently glitchy,  once that gets worked out will be 1st or 3rd person. which is awesome cause I like both and in different situations it is fun having both styles.

<edit2>  also the zombies won't always auto find you and come for you,  thats currently just a thing in the first alpha build,  once sneaking and such gets put in zombies will go by sound/sight/ lights/ect  in future update. 

7 Days to Die kicks ass!  I love it!  I've bought it and my best friend and wife also own it.  We are on day 34 on our server but we are starting over soon when next update hits.  This game is like mixing minecraft with Left4Dead and Borderlands (eventually when rpg stuff gets put in).    I am having a blast with it and can't wait for more updates.    Best Alpha I've ever played to be honest.  Plays very well and smooth for what it is so far.  Just needs more Content/updates. 

<edit>  also the game has 3rd person mode though it is currently glitchy,  once that gets worked out will be 1st or 3rd person. which is awesome cause I like both and in different situations it is fun having both styles.

<edit2>  also the zombies won't always auto find you and come for you,  thats currently just a thing in the first alpha build,  once sneaking and such gets put in zombies will go by sound/sight/ lights/ect  in future update. 

Ahem... 'best' alpha? Wrong forum buddy. :evil: