Faster Scroll Speed in inventory

HyperMoon

Loving everything about zomboid so far. But one thing has somewhat annoyed me and it's how slow the mouse wheel scrolls through the inventory. You spend so much time in your inventory in this game and it's just one of the few things that really bothers me. You can't scroll very quickly through your inventory.. it's usually easier to just click the scroll bar and drag it but this is kinda annoying to do since it's really small and sometimes you might misclick and have to re select all your items again. If there was a way to adjust this or just make it scroll a little faster it would make navigating and organizing your items so much easier. Hopefully I explained that well enough.

Games normally tend to stay away from using Windows settings since its a universal thing, Id be surprised if it works though I haven't tested it myself and probably wont, I dont see myself cranking it up and have it affect every other Windows program/browser/etc on my computer lol

EDIT: I have my Windows scroll speed set to 6 lines per tick, the inventory still scrolls at 1/tick so it doesn't work for me.

I agree. This has bothered me too. The scroll speed is too slow, the click and drag section is too small to reliably grab the slider bar ... and.. you forgot to mention... when scrolled all the way down, you should be able to simply click the top of the slider bar and have it jump to the top.

Also while we're fixing the inventory, I can't tell how many of something I have if it has a long name. The (14) at the end of something like Strawberry Seeds Packet (14) gets cut off. Fully half of that window is devoted to telling me what category the item is. If you reduced the area dedicated to category, you could allow for showing longer names.

I agree. This has bothered me too. The scroll speed is too slow, the click and drag section is too small to reliably grab the slider bar ... and.. you forgot to mention... when scrolled all the way down, you should be able to simply click the top of the slider bar and have it jump to the top.

Also while we're fixing the inventory, I can't tell how many of something I have if it has a long name. The (14) at the end of something like Strawberry Seeds Packet (14) gets cut off. Fully half of that window is devoted to telling me what category the item is. If you reduced the area dedicated to category, you could allow for showing longer names.

You can make the window longer and slide the name bar over, you can also set inventory text size in the options.  Ive never had an issue with it but it would be nice if QTY had its own column.

Have you tried adjusting your scroll settings through control panel's Mouse on Windows?

Changing mouse options for all Windows just to play properly a game shouldn't be an option

*Cough* That's an interesting use of "properly." Scroll works in the game as is, thus it's already "properly" playable.

It's just not to your liking . . . and if you  look up, you'll see the Windows scroll setting likely has no baring on PZ, after all. Hence, as a work around, it's not viable.

Have you tried adjusting your scroll settings through control panel's Mouse on Windows?

Changing mouse options for all Windows just to play properly a game shouldn't be an option
*Cough* That's an interesting use of "properly." Scroll works in the game as is, thus it's already "properly" playable.

It's just not to your liking . . . and if you  look up, you'll see the Windows scroll setting likely has no baring on PZ, after all. Hence, as a work around, it's not viable.

Obviously, you can play without changing anything, that's why it isn't a bug. But yes, it's "properly" because "properly" and "working" or "bug free" aren't the same. You can't play properly a game if you get annoyed for rolling the inventory down to get one specific item because playing games should be fun, and not "sometimes fun and sometimes annoying because some specific mechanic that require a whole windows chage to adequate to your needs".

As I see it, if a game forces me to change an overall setting instead a game setting, that game is doing something wrong.

Let's all call our opinions the only proper way to play games :P

I have no trouble with it whatsoever. Also:

As I see it, if a game forces me to change an overall setting instead a game setting, that game is doing something wrong.

Completely, provably, inherently untrue. Mouse speed is a good example- any proper PC gamer knows you want to set the mouse acceleration to zero in the game options, turn off game mouse speed boosting, and use your system settings. Same is true for color balance, among many other things.

Let's just take a deep breathe and remember to separate opinion from fact, aye?

Completely, provably, inherently untrue. Mouse speed is a good example- any proper PC gamer knows you want to set the mouse acceleration to zero in the game options, turn off game mouse speed boosting, and use your system settings. Same is true for color balance, among many other things.

Hes talking about a game where you cant adjust mouse speed whatsoever in-game(doesn't have boost settings, acceleration, speed, etc) and relies solely on the users Windows settings, that is not a good way to build your game, it limits a gamers options pretty severely and can turn an otherwise fun game into a frustrating experience.  Take for example me and my friend used to play L4D all the time, my mouse sensitivity would be about halfway up and his would be all the way up, he likes the much faster reaction time because he feels midway is too slow...if that option wasn't in the game to increase his mouse speed it would severely affect his gaming experience, and as a game developer, gaming experience is what makes you money.

I do like how you said "Let's all call our opinions the only proper way to play games" then turn around and give your own opinion on mouse speed claiming its a fact lol

Hes talking about a game where you cant adjust mouse speed whatsoever in-game(doesn't have boost settings, acceleration, speed, etc) and relies solely on the users Windows settings, that is not a good way to build your game, it limits a gamers options pretty severely and can turn an otherwise fun game into a frustrating experience.  Take for example me and my friend used to play L4D all the time, my mouse sensitivity would be about halfway up and his would be all the way up, he likes the much faster reaction time because he feels midway is too slow...if that option wasn't in the game to increase his mouse speed it would severely affect his gaming experience, and as a game developer, gaming experience it what makes you money.

I do like how you said "Let's all call our opinions the only proper way to play games" then turn around and give your own opinion on mouse speed claiming its a fact lol

I might have been misunderstood, but what I wanted to say is what you said (and, ironically, what Rathlord said even after saying that is "Completely, provably, inherently untrue").

What I'm trying to say is that, in my opinion, if you can't change certain settings that affect directly on your gameplay (for example sound/music volume, gamma or key bindings) in-game and your only way to chage them it's by modifying Windows settings (and modifying it back after you end playing) may affect some people gaming experience because they don't know (or don't want) to do that stuff.

Don't worry, Rathlord, from now on I will mark my opinions by saying "in my opinion", so no one will think i'm saying facts instead opinions... or maybe I use colors or  different fonts. I have to think about it  :lol:

Don't worry, Rathlord, from now on I will mark my opinions by saying "in my opinion", so no one will think i'm saying facts instead opinions... or maybe I use colors or  different fonts. I have to think about it  :lol:

A lot of people on these forums don't do anything but run around trying to correct people without adding anything productive to the conversation.  I guess it makes them feel smart? I don't know, but telling people to separate opinion from fact then turn around and give an opinion saying its a fact?

Just like in my other post I said one word wrong and someone goes on a 2-3 paragraph spree explaining why its wrong, saying to leave technicalities to the people whose not killing zombies, when he just explained in a few paragraphs the technical difference in "split" and "divide".

Place is full of hypocrites lol

Except it is a fact. Changing computer settings to better optimize games has been part of the PC gaming industry for as long as it's existed. There's no opinion there; go do some research or just quit trying to pick a fight think about what you're saying for a moment. It has nothing to do with "wanting to feel smart" and everything to do with being right. Talking down about an unfinished, alpha game for not having a certain setting and then tacking on a (false) statement as if it is fact is not okay.

On another note, I strongly recommend you stop talking bad about people on these forums. The forums number one rule is "Be Lovely." That means not calling people hypocrites and the other inferred slurs in your posts. If you want to have a conversation, that's fine. If you want to disagree, that's fine. If you want to argue- that's fine, too. But we don't tolerate name calling and personal slurs. Consider this a friendly warning.

Tiptoeing around the argument, it would be nice if scrolling via the mouse wheel did skip more than a little. I have my settings to about five lines per tick on Windows, but it still only does about half an item per tick in Project Zomboid. So I support this idea.

I'm fine with it, too . . .

But A) I've never seen a scroll sensitivity option in a game before (camera controls based on mouse position aside) and
B) I'd assume Java's polling rate is still dependent on OS settings for the scroll wheel . . .

Doesn't mean it's "bad," just unusual.

I don't personally expect game companies to do this stuff -- even gamma is a luxury.