Character Progression

Tproffitt

Hello, I didn't see a thread like this beforehand, but I'm sorry if I there is one already and I missed it

My idea was that I feel that the player character should be able to improve more over time when it comes to skills. Things like the coward/brave and weak/strong skills should work like the stats in-game such as sprinting. It would make sense that a person who's survived for a month or two and has killed hundreds of zombies should be able to control themselves more over time so they don't get to extreme panic when they sneak up to 2-3 zombies to bludgeon them with a bat. 

Same goes for characters being able to improve their carry weight or capacity to swing a bat/run before getting to high exertion. Constantly carrying stuff near their limit, killing zombies with melee and building structures like walls and fences could give exp for a strength stat. Those that pick the stout or strong perks at the beginning could start with having a few levels of it unlocked or have exp boosts for the stat while those with weak or feeble could start with either none or a debuff/negative exp or reduced exp gain.

The skills chosen at the beginning could still affect your character long term such as a coward character still becoming higher levels of panic easier than others or strong characters still having a bonus to knockdown chance.

I'm OK with the idea of player actions leading to reduced penalties or even the loss of a negative trait.

It has to be balanced though, so you would also be able to lose positive ones as well, and gain additional traits (both positive and negative) based on actions.

• Never drink alcohol - you'll get drunk easier
  • Regularly carrying a large inventory - eventually become strong
  • Regularly carrying a very light inventory - eventually become weak
  • Have a near death experience in a small house - become claustrophobic
  • Search many houses without incident - lose claustrophobic trait

etc.

Admittedly, it sounds like a lot of work, but it would be cool.

Im pretty sure this is already in the game.

If I remember correctly, there is a hidden bar that slowly makes you get better at that kind of stuff, but never actually shows you that.

Skills are leveled by using them - sort of - but traits are fixed and unchangable, I believe.

Im pretty sure this is already in the game.

If I remember correctly, there is a hidden bar that slowly makes you get better at that kind of stuff, but never actually shows you that.

Skills are leveled by using them - sort of - but traits are fixed and unchangable, I believe.

No, im really talking about traits, It was from a thread I made, and I got a response from RJ I believe.