"Proper" but special zombies attracting the horde

isakron

Hello!

I've got a suggestion that could get players even more on their toes when meeting zombies. What if one in fifty or a hundred of them had a scream or hiss that attracted zombies further away. Most of the zombies within the cell or even further would begin to move in the direction of the scream, if only temporary.

These special zombies would only make "the call" when they saw or heard a player character, just like normal zombies. The call wouldn't sound special or distinct to the player aside from the fact that the caller-type zombies always use one of the higher pitched screams some of the normal zombies already use. 

It would lead to panic every time a player hears one of the higher pitched screams, even if it seldom is a real caller. 

Just for the record, zombies making noise fits Geroge Remero and Max Brooks lore. They would not be special zombies, in fact all zeds should be able to make a moan. These zeds should not be considered special, and it would make the player think twice about going after a lone zed because it can attract more

Just for the record, zombies making noise fits Geroge Remero and Max Brooks lore. They would not be special zombies, in fact all zeds should be able to make a moan. These zeds should not be considered special, and it would make the player think twice about going after a lone zed because it can attract more

They do moan in PZ, however, and create noise when going about their business.

It's a little different if it's being suggested they should be like a witch in L4D, however: A single zombie being able to call a multitude of zombies with the power of its voice.

I'm not clear if that's what you mean, Iskaron. If it is, it's not something I'd personally like to see in the game.

If you love them so much go and play LFD2

I find it hard to believe that this isn't derogatory . . . There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting something in the game that doesn't fit others conceptions of the game, even if it's a definite "no" by the devs. As always, I just recommend not giving topics attention, if you don't personally agree with them (or want to discuss them).

I dont' really like the "screaming zombie" idea.  But sometimes I wish that normal zombie noises would attract other zombies- for example, I would like one zombie banging on a door to attract other nearby zombies.

Yep, we keep knocking on that door :)

We need zombies to start attracting each others by the noise they make. Right now is only the few arround that notice you, it would be awesome if that noise or call that is currently implemented get boosted. Zombies tend to group, and they group because they see or hear something. The one who sees you, makes some noise by moving to you, and nearby zombies start to react to that, creating a cascade effect. 

This would be awesome imo! 

They do moan in PZ, however, and create noise when going about their business.

It's a little different if it's being suggested they should be like a witch in L4D, however: A single zombie being able to call a multitude of zombies with the power of its voice.

I'm not clear if that's what you mean, Iskaron. If it is, it's not something I'd personally like to see in the game.

If you love them so much go and play LFD2

EnigmaGrey: No. I see now how my rambling post could be taken like that! I like proper zombies. Night of the living dead etc. I just couldn't find the words to express what I meant, and it became the somewhat awkward "proper but special." I blame it on the fact that english isn't my first language and I was tired.

What I meant was what Strang wrote, but with the addition that zombies who moan or hiss louder should be heard at a longer distance. As my post indicate I thought their moans already attracted nearby zombies (I mean the moans/screams you hear when a zombie is hunting you). It sure seems like the hunting zombies tend to pick up straying ones along the way?

So, my suggestion is (more clearly put) that I would like to see the strength/volume of the zombie moans affect how many zombies they attract, to a great length. This, of course, can only be applied to the louder and more agitated hisses and moans of zombies on the hunt (who are hunting a character).

I noisy agitated zombie could realistically attract zombies several blocks away! Problem is, this could easily be too hard on the player if it happens every time one of the noisier zombies comes running. Thats why I proposed that, unbeknown to the player, only a select few of them would actually cut thru and be heard in a larger area (like maybe 1 in 50 noisy agitated zombies).

be210, I'm totally with you in that proper zombies should react to someone banging a door. I also think they should react when they hear a shout or a scream or a sneeze from a human being. I don't think they should know the difference between a living person's agitated voice and a zombies agitated voice.

Like Ohbal said, it would be extremely cool if every sound a zombie made affected others who could hear it. Everything would be cause and effect, ripple effects. But I guess it would break the game balance, and it would certainly break some computers (I think).

Maybe different zombies have louder moans. Maybe it would work with the "decay" factor as well. After time, their moans get quieter (Not to the point where they're so quiet though). This is my idea. And I don't think it should attract the entire cell. Maybe a few around the streets. This is my opinion though.

I never did like the hiss or scream stuff, that some show zombies having, but then again all sorts of zombies moan different in there own way. Like the walking dead, I love that show, but do the zombies moan in it? its more like a choking, growling kinda thing, but I like it. One thing though that I wouldn't mind is when you have a whole bunch of them banded together that there's a more loader moan from all of them. Like in Day of the Dead, when all the zombies are wondering though the street in the beginning, you can hear super load moans way in the distance, that be creepy is hell. 

I cant seem to add it here for some reason but just look up Day of the Dead intro on youtube your see what I mean