Plank Buff

ValueOfGravity

So, i have been playing alot this year and it gave me quite alot of stuff to think about, and one of them are planks.

We all know the weight system is a bit fucked up, but i don't think buffing the planks will be alot of trouble. I mean, if i were carrying all my character carries in a bag, i would be able to carry atleast 5 planks, but added to my bags, my pistol, my bat and some water, the maximum possible i can carry is 3-4 planks, and i think that is a bit disbalanced.

Considering that the ''weight'' in the game is both surface and weight, i still don't think a plank is that big or that heavy to only carry 3. I suggest a really minor change, like downing the weight from 3.0 to 2.8 or 2.5 (Thats a bit too low, isnt it?). Alot of people may think ''Oh, 0.02 less weight? That's like nothing! Well, if the devs downed it to 2.0 it would be the weight of 2 shirts. That's totally unrealistic and OP.

i beleve the plank system is just fine the way it is right now. Im still able to build my base at a decent speed without being able to pick up 5 planks at a time. I have done construstion before and if someone ask me to pick up 5 planks around the size of 2" x 8" meter long meaning each plank be about 15- 18lb. (6.6 - 8.1Kg) i would have some trouble in a short distance time. BUT! i do think there should be a slow buff system for this... ganing strength over a long period time of smashing zed heads and saws logs and cutting down trees. I mean if im build my own fort and smashing skulls doing it... id be pretty beefy

Guys, be quiet! There could be a dev reading the post right now. Do you guys want to need to have 15 planks to make a wall?!

Well, it IS true the walls look like they have 5-6 planks in them, but still, i think 3 planks is fine. Maybe they are bigass planks. Maybe that's the reason they are so heavy. I don't know.

Honestly, I think the weight system is fine. I have clothing, hammer, axe, saw, nails, bat and two bags and I can carry 12 planks. As for the number of planks used for wall construct... the walls change in look and strength depending on the level of experience at craft. Therefore, based on that, the higher the lever of craft xp (I.e. stronger, prettier walls) the more planks should be used. Thats if they want it realistic.

P.s.

Gou- agreed, carts would be nice. Though they do plan on implementing cars later on

Not sure how inventory slots would solve an issue like undefined characteristics of planks being balance . . . if anything, wouldn't it make it harder?

If we assume they're larger than 2 x 4, 3-5 planks seems like a reasonable amount to tote around. Built a stockpile of them then shift them that way. Or, just risk the backpain moodles and move more.

We really need a new weight system all together it seems like.

Why not instead of weight we have inventory slots?

Then we aren't trying to force a balance between weight and gameplay, that is difficult to make exist.

What exactly do you mean by Inventory slots?

Do you mean basically inventory tetris like in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Resident Evil?

Remember that "weight" isn't just how much a thing weight, it's the encumbrance, a big paper box could weight 8, because you need 2 hands etc. to move it, it weight nothing, but it's quite big to carry around

Can't we just change the name to Planks and everyone will be happy? :P