What am I doing wrong? Admin account blocked

henshall_protects

Hello,

I have been trying to set up a server to my needs. The problem is, whenever I create an admin account, it will not accept the password when I try to go in-game, so basically I cannot "admin".

When I go to add an admin, it asks for a password for said admin to use. Upon doing so, it gives me a hash password (i.e. something like 3p0l3k5jj7k). I go to my database and it has added the admin status to the account, however I see there is another password in the column, different what I have inputted.

I try to join the game under the new admin account using

• the password I created
  • the hash password
  • the password generated in the DB

But cannot login on any of them. Always invalid username/password. I've restarted the server to check whether it's necessary before the account is validated for admin use but to no avail. So I'm stuck.

Love the game. I do wish I could get this setup.

Thanks in advance.

You would always login with the password that you input.

So for example, if you 

adduser "Foo" "Bar"

then the password for the user Foo is Bar regardless of the hash it spits back at you or what it stores in the DB.

The way that it is stored in the DB (just for reference) is typically as a hash with the encryptedPwd set to 'true' but it can also be plaintext with encryptedPwd 'false'. So if you wanted to manually edit the password in the DB you would set encryptedPwd to false and then set the password field as Foo

The actual DB can be misleading sometimes as there can be a journal file with the changes in that (and use 'quit' to stop the server or the journal may not to be written to the DB and the user won't exist on the next server start, which is probably a bug)

I don't think grantadmin "Foo" alters the password field in any way and is what technically makes a user admin.

Edit: also, doing adduser on an already existing user probably won't work. you'd likely have to removeuserfromwhitelist "Foo" and then adduser "Foo" "bar" and then grantadmin "Foo"