Server Connection Issues

Slendy

Question

I never had this before, I port forwarded and all that good shit My server has been running for atleast 13 days. Now I updated my project zomboid and converted the world a couple of minutes later I get "Connection Lost" then I restart the server and try to connect and I get connection failed. 

Mind telling me whats going on?

16 answers to this question

Posting "I need this answered" less than half an hour isn't going to get you answered any faster. We get to everyone as soon as we can.

It's possible that something in your server got corrupted (possibly from being shut down improperly? or from the update). It might be worth just starting over with a new world. I'll also see if the devs know anything else that might be worth trying. Posting a picture/the text of the command prompt might help us see what's actually going on, also.

Follow these steps, in order, until it starts working again:

1) Open Steam, go to your Library, right click on Project Zomboid in the list, select Properties - Local Content - Verify Integrity of Game Cache

-Try the server

2) Uninstall PZ and reinstall

- Try the server

3) Easiest way is to go to %username%zomboid\server and delete the save file for the server. Then you'll have to ask users to go to %username%\zomboid\multiplayer and find either the server IP\username combo or their IP\username combo and delete it.

-Try the server

Alternatively, you can post the console log like I've asked you to and we could actually see what's happening.

Follow these steps, in order, until it starts working again:

1) Open Steam, go to your Library, right click on Project Zomboid in the list, select Properties - Local Content - Verify Integrity of Game Cache

-Try the server

2) Uninstall PZ and reinstall

- Try the server

3) Easiest way is to go to %username%zomboid\server and delete the save file for the server. Then you'll have to ask users to go to %username%\zomboid\multiplayer and find either the server IP\username combo or their IP\username combo and delete it.

-Try the server

Alternatively, you can post the console log like I've asked you to and we could actually see what's happening.

Cheer's have a look at the console logs, I'm trying option 1 right now.. i'll try 3 in a minute I already did option 2 before all of this.

console.txt

What about other players?

Do they keep the IP I've given them.. if so they cant connect using that IP.

And yes, I can join my server with my Internal IP.. do I give players my internal ip? 

Because yet they can't connect using the one i've given them when I typed "myip" in google.

Can you try restarting your router (just unplug it, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in)? It's also possible that your antivirus or firewall has changed recently (or is just flagging the updated version of the game).

It'd help to know what error the other players are getting on the console, and whether you can see them try to connect on the console of the server, or not.

As a last resort, you can just take the %username%\zomboid folder and move it to your desktop. Everything will be regenerated by the game/server (and you'll still have a backup). If that resolves the problem, then perhaps it's really a difference in the map files causing the issue.

Alright, So I unplugged my router and waited for a couple of seconds.. plugged it back in and waited for my internet to come back up, I launched the server and opened the game then I put it my regular ip [random ip for secret stuff] 67.122.112.176 so, I put my public IP in and connected using that because I always used my public IP, I can connect using my local ip but I don't know why, others cannot connect at all their names don't even show up in the cmd logs, My name don't show when I join from public so.. I'm lost here.. out of options I also placed my zomboid on the desktop and let it rebuild and did all the things above, nothing worked, So.. is my server like done? Do I have to stop hosting it?