Server hosts! Players! We need YOU!

Kirrus

Hey! Are you willing to brave interesting problems, like your character lagging to their doom?

Are you up for unexpected save and / or entire game world corruptions?

Will you cope with snazzy black-cells-of-death?

If so, WE NEED YOU! <finger pointing image not found>

*ahem*

Now I've your attention... We need server hosts, and players, to try the Early Access I Will Backup My Save builds! The devs are constantly beavering away at awesome new features and fixes, and some of those fix known problems in Multiplayer. However, it's hard to push them live, since we've not enough testing, especially on high-player-count servers.

So, this is where you come in. If you can spare 20 minutes, here's what you do.

First, if you don't know how to access our unstable builds, read here:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4183-iwbums-the-i-will-backup-my-save-branch/

Players, there are a few public servers in the public gameserver list running the unstable game. Dive in! Make sure to report any problems you find in the bug tracker, or on the version thread in the updates forum:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/forum/35-pz-updates/

If you can, pick a server which already has a few players in. Some of the problems we're working on at the moment are related to high-lag in high-player servers, but also try some of those lonely servers running with only a few players. We're really looking for any problem you see, on any server type, with any number of players, from 0 to 100!

Server hosts, think about running up a IWBUMS server. If you're on linux, you just need to add the flags "-beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword <see IWBUMS thread>" to your app_update steamcmd.
For example:

/home/game/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh +login mysteamuser mysteampass \ +force_install_dir /home/game/Zomboid_server \ "+app_update 108600 -beta iwillbackupmysave -betapassword SPIFFO_FOREVER_AND_EVER_NOT_REAL_PW_SORRY validate"\ +exit

Watch out for when we release a full build, as it may be 4-8 weeks till the IWBUMS branch starts getting full updates again, so it might be worth swapping back to the main tree until there's a new IWBUMS version open.

If you're hosting with nitrado or similar, their support team should be able to help you activate a steam beta branch.

<shameless plug>

Make sure to subscribe to the mailing list! Nice email alerts for new versions, and changelogs sent straight to your email addresses. Also, the weekly mondoid, in email form!

http://projectzomboid.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

</shameless plug>

i wish you would have posted this yesterday, i cancelled my service this morning. was using Lowping Game Servers, and we could never get the IWBUMS branches to work. offered to give admin panel access to a few people in here who may have known more about the workings, see if they could figure it out. but no one ever took me up on it.

I've played over 700 hours... on single player XD... I've tried playing the game with my sister on a private server I made.  I ran into some issues (mostly caused by misunderstandings made by myself) and haven't played multiplayer since.  Other than that I don't have any experience with the multiplayer.  I usually avoid public multiplayer on any game because of some of the other players.    But I really want to help out.  So I'll do it... FOR SCIENCE!

Embarrassing and informative failure here I come!

The Evil Dead PZ server runs the 29.3 build and has a very good server admin. He quickly reacts, when the server is having trouble and even RP's as a travelling merchant.

There is also a friendly community in Muldraugh, who is glad to welcome any survivor.

@ValueOfGravity Hey, do you remember the community that we built up on keifleaf's server? Good times!

i wish you would have posted this yesterday, i cancelled my service this morning. was using Lowping Game Servers, and we could never get the IWBUMS branches to work. offered to give admin panel access to a few people in here who may have known more about the workings, see if they could figure it out. but no one ever took me up on it.

should have made a thread, I would have probably taken a look. Problem being though, unless you got access to the terminal of the server, or at the very least attach startup parameters for Steamcmd (which I doubt it would do) the only way a problem like that getting solved, is through the hosters.

Should of I would of

You're driving me crazy.

But yeah, syfy. This is something that hosters have to offer/fix (downloading a different branch of the game through Steam). Most of them just automatically distribute the latest version of the default game.

Should of I would of

You're driving me crazy.

Watch as I never stop doing it. Should of known better nasKo. Should of known better.

Ha... ha... haha.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAHAHAHA!

If you're not careful, I'll program the forum to ban that turn of phrase...

You're an evil genius. Why didn't I even think of that... teach me your ways, evil master.

Look and Feel --> Post Content --> Bad Word Filters.

You're an evil genius. Why didn't I even think of that... teach me your ways, evil master.

Look and Feel --> Post Content --> Bad Word Filters.

Oh I know. It was more regarding your evil genius ;)

Will this be only for testing the 0.29, or access to all the test versions? Cause i'm liking this to this point..

..I like bugs :3

As soon as a build is on the IWBUMS branch, you will be able to access that build for server, just like the regular game. So this is for the current build and beyond.

• 1 month later...

"Bump" (can't bump a sticky, u kno wat am sayin)

You ain't serious guys ! 35 servers on the public list, 4~5 servers on the latest 30.3 build.   Would be nice to see at least half of those servers on the IWBUMS version.

We all love playing PZ very much, but you guys need to take some risks or not get too attached to your characters during the alpha stage. New features need to be played/tested in MP as well, staying in the safe-zone of stable builds doesn't make much sense for an early access game.

Special distinction for THE GOOD OL DAYS group, with 4 servers and not one with the experimental build ! some efforts guys pls !

"Bump" (can't bump a sticky, u kno wat am sayin)

You ain't serious guys ! 35 servers on the public list, 4~5 servers on the latest 30.3 build.   Would be nice to see at least half of those servers on the IWBUMS version.

We all love playing PZ very much, but you guys need to take some risks or not get too attached to your characters during the alpha stage. New features need to be played/tested in MP as well, staying in the safe-zone of stable builds doesn't make much sense for an early access game.

Special distinction for THE GOOD OL DAYS group, with 4 servers and not one with the experimental build ! some efforts guys pls !

simple fact is that a lot of servers will not run the IWBUMS branch, especially the ones from game server companies.

hell, even the one Twiggy uses will only run the stable builds, and he has TIS staff on his.