Alien: Isolation

Suomiboi

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're into the good stuff now Suomiboi, keep at it :)

I've shat my pants probably a dozen times by now. :D I just have to have these good ½h breaks to get back to reality, because my heart is pounding too hard. Also I keep hiding in the closets and cupboards for ages It's just too damn scary to come out.

By now I have to say, great stuff! Both you, Will and the whole thing!

Now I'm going to jog this game off of my system for a while...

Got it. Playing it on and off. I love it so much but it frustrates me to no end with glitches. Takes me a full two or three seconds to even start climbing into a vent or a locker or for the door to open or close after I've pressed the key to perform the task. It's even worse when I know the alien is bearing down on me but I just can't get the damn locker to respond fast enough for me to hide in. I've died several times to this glitch. Several times I've seen NPCs and even the alien glitch through the surroundings. It's even worse when I'm hiding in a cupboard and the alien's tail glitches through the cabinet and right in front of my face as it walks by. That one caused a spontaneous browning of shorts.

And the death scenes are worst of all. The sound ends quickly, even as the animation takes a full ten, fifteen seconds after the sound ends to finish playing out. It's so horribly out of sync it just takes all the horror out of being eaten alive.

Even with all of that, though, I'm still having a blast with this game. Quite fun.

So I'm in what I think is the second-half of the medical centre (part with the three-four humans and the alien)

And holy hell, the amount of close-calls I've had with the alien because someone took a shot at me from behind!

EDIT:

Anybody had a moment where they escaped the aliens line of sight and hid, yet it still knew where they were on-the-dot?

I mean, I really shouldn't bother trying to hide after it's seen me, but y'know.. Kind of annoying.

EDIT:

Anybody had a moment where they escaped the aliens line of sight and hid, yet it still knew where they were on-the-dot?

I mean, I really shouldn't bother trying to hide after it's seen me, but y'know.. Kind of annoying.

Did it see you go into your hiding space?

EDIT:

Did it see you go into your hiding space?

Doubt it, it was burying its face in someguys chest while another person shot at it - by the time it got to the second one I had gone around two corners and hid, might have seen me while inside of it as it was just a bed.

I'm struggling to get out of comms, let alone to medical. I'm not looking forward to medical.

This game is rapidly exhausting my patience. At this rate, I'll never complete it.

I know what you mean, what really bugs me about this game is the lack of checkpoints, only the save-stations.. I dunno if there are checkpoints on normal or easy, but holy hell - having to go re-lock the same things ten times in a row is pretty damn annoying.

EDIT:

I literally just died because without warning (not even a beep from my motion tracker) the alien dropped out of a vent and got me in the back.

It's getting easier with the flame thrower imo ;)

He jump behind you, 360 no scope flame thrower IN YOUR FACE ! He won't like it, I really feel he get really angry after that, but it saved me more than 1 time :P

Do you feel like the flamethrower took the horror aspect away from the xenomoprh?

I do..

Yeah, but I'm just dealing with fucking androids. I only managed to kill one because I built an EMP, which took basically all of my good resources, and killing it attracted 3 more of the bastards.

ARGH.

Ok, just took the train to scimed. Finally. I hope there's some time for me to have a breather before I get crapped on by medical.

He jump behind you, 360 no scope flame thrower IN YOUR FACE ! He won't like it, I really feel he get really angry after that, but it saved me more than 1 time :P

Do you feel like the flamethrower took the horror aspect away from the xenomoprh?

I do..

Not at all for me, flame thrower isn't unlimited, and only make him more angry :D But it give me 1 or 2 min to get out of the way and find a suitable place to hide, then I make my new plan from here.

Also he sometimes punch you kinda hard when doing that, making me loose lot of health, and sometimes he just get too close enough (specially in vent, DAMN I hate him when he come in MY vent ! jeeze, nobody teahc him some respect ?!) so it doesn't work.

And there's still lot of other threat, damn android.. Seriously, I hate them..

I do..

Not at all for me, flame thrower isn't unlimited, and only make him more angry :D But it give me 1 or 2 min to get out of the way and find a suitable place to hide, then I make my new plan from here.

Also he sometimes punch you kinda hard when doing that, making me loose lot of health, and sometimes he just get too close enough (specially in vent, DAMN I hate him when he come in MY vent ! jeeze, nobody teahc him some respect ?!) so it doesn't work.

And there's still lot of other threat, damn android.. Seriously, I hate them..

I've never had the problem of running into little Xeno in a vent - that being said though I RARELY use vents and always go for the duck'n'waitinacorneruntilhe'sat-least80stepsawayfromme tactic.. I only try to use the flamethrower when I need to (I.E nowhere to hide and cornered) but sometimes I just feel like I've been entrusted with a little too much power too soon.. I dunno, maybe that's just me?

The Working Joes are fucking horrible, I hate the bastards - the only things I used my revolver on and I always try to keep a pipebomb especially for them.

Playing on normal because I'm not a masochist. Androids never gave me much trouble. I got grabbed by a couple of them but I managed to fight them off and escape before the other ones could get to me. Right now I'm in the second area of medical where you get the stun baton. The alien got me there. Was on the computer when I heard the door behind me open. Turned to find the alien right there, so I pulled out my newly acquired stun baton and charged right at him, heroically jamming the prod into his face for his troubles.

Then he ate me. Ah well. Does anyone else at least try and fight him when he sees you? I usually just pull out my revolver and do my best to fight him even when I know it's futile because Ripley is the worst runner ever.

I have to say, after a break.. the graphics, the design, it's just pure genius. Why can't all sci-fi games look as good as this one?

It supposedly has something to do with how it was designed, I can remember reading somewhere that the technology in the Alien film was designed with the idea of "functionality" to it, not "Aesthetics" - they would look at something, discuss and figure out how it would work and then design it around that, so instead of having a computer chip in your eye that connects to your left palm which somehow manages to allow you to manipulate time and space, it was something a little more.. Understandable?

Once again, I don't remember where I read this from.. I think it was a polygon article (I was only there because they were writing about Rhiannon Pratchett) at-least I think she's called Rhiannon..  But yeah, I think the concept of functionality has a huge play into why it's designed in such an ingenous and I suppose "timeless" fashion.

So I suppose to answer your question as to why more sci-fi games (and movies too, I suppose) can't all have this level of design, I guess it's because allot of people these days tend to think more on the "Wouldn't this look cool.." level? I mean even the Xenomorph has a great amount of thought into it. If you look at the AlienWikia page for the Xenomorph it's incredibly long - especially the biology section.

Personally I hope we don't get more games and movies designed like Alien but rather games that are designed with a similar thought process as the way Alien looks is something that I personally have only ever seen in the Alien/Aliens universe and quite frankly I like to believe that helps keep its "low-fi" character.

Warning: Long thought-wondering ahead, does not actually contain game spoilers.

EDIT: I would like to point out that "I guess it's because allot of people these days tend to think more on the "Wouldn't this look cool.." level?"  is purely speculation.

EDIT II:

One thing I would like to see however, is what a low-fi setting would be like if we based it off of today's technology, seeing as we have things that probably weren't even considered back in the hayday of the Alien movie - with Smart phones, tablets, more advanced CPU's and the rapidly expanding empire of the computer system what with it being in just about everything, how different would it be from today's reality?

Really, what kind of approach could you take with this kind of concept? Technology seems to be getting smaller and smaller but making a dominant impact on our lives, societies and cultures.

Makes the mind boggle, doesn't it?

EDIT III: Also a friendly tip Kirrus, what always got me near the end of the second part of Medical was the alien hiding in air vents on the roof, so always double-check to make sure there isn't any saliva dropping down from it.

I just started playing this tonight and my first impressions are good good good! Won't post any spoilers without tags either just to get that out there. I reached the part just after

Axle gets ganked. Poor sod.

First of all, the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Everything looks so smooth and realistic, the lighting is lovely too. The whole atmosphere of the game is really well done, once you reach Sevastopol Station you can't really settle or feel comfortable at all, which is how survival horror should be, it's so tense. Encountering an Alien for the first time (and it killed me of course) really sent the shitters up me to put it bluntly! Look forward to playing more, well sort of, I must love being on edge.

Haven't played a horror gamer with such great first impressions since the playable demo of Silent Hills, P.T. I hope it continues!

EDIT III: Also a friendly tip Kirrus, what always got me near the end of the second part of Medical was the alien hiding in air vents on the roof, so always double-check to make sure there isn't any saliva dropping down from it.

I've been avoiding airvents ever since I saw.. well, what tooks saw tonight ;)

Yeah, I saw some saliva dribbling out of an air vent when I was in comms trying to avoid those damn androids. I looked at that and thought... I'll die if I walk under there... So I detoured around. I guess this was a safe bet, huh?

I've been avoiding airvents ever since I saw.. well, what tooks saw tonight ;)

Good man, also - I'm sure you're already aware of this but if you can stun an android after (from my experience) 2-3 shots from the revolver to the face, you can beat the little bastards silly with your wrench-tool-mechanic-ducktape-thing.

@Kajin

Nine out of ten times when I die like that, I was backing away from something else.