Handmade Wooden Dowels - Realistic Nails Alternative

Onkeen

4000+ Downloads ! Thanks for supporting the Dowels !

This mod is an answer to my own suggestion here :

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1043-les-chevilles-de-bois-carpentry-suggestion/

Handmade Wooden Dowels are pieces of wood that experimented roofmakers and cabinetmakers are using to build some "full wooden furnitures / structures" for cottage furnishing and strong roof structures.

If you want to know how does it works or why is it so hard to use and why it's really something reallistic :

I invite you to read my suggestion, I have added a lot of pictures and drawings to answer all that questions.

MOD UPDATED for BUILD 36

1423073739-poster.png

Mod Informations :

1377380937-mod-update.jpg

Download :

Download on PZ-MOD :

http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/WoodenDowels/

Download on Git-Hub :

https://github.com/JulienLaclaverie/PZ_WoodenDowels

Download on Steam workshop :

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498634342

Installation (if not from Steamworkshop) :

Extract in the folder : "C:\Users\USERNAME\Zomboid\mods"

Changelog :

Version 1.5 (release)
- Carpentry level scaled angain to fit all crafts (new values & new crafts)
- Compatible with Build 36 
- Compatible with the new wall system
- Compatible with the new dismantle system 

- Sawing dowels now makes the saw noise

- New recipe ! You can now manage to craft one dowel from a treebrach

- In order to make the mod more realistic, you can now use alternatives to the screwdriver to carve your dowels (Kitchen or Hunting knife)

Version 1.4
- Carpentry level scaled to fit all crafts
- Build 31 compatible

Version 1.3
- New crafts added (Shelves, Bed, etc...)
- Carpentry level +1 for all crafts (anticipating the Build 31 update)
- Build 30 compatible

Version 1.2
- Craft with nails bug is now solved you can now build with nails or dowels without bug
- Destroying a furniture or wall crafted with dowels now drop dowels (and nails furniture drop nails)

Version 1.1
- Now with a mod description
- You can now craft drawers with dowels

Version 1.0
- Updated for Build 26
- Updated for the last recipes

Version 0.7
- fully balanced "Build with Dowels" recipes
- level 5 is now required for strategical furnitures
- more planks are needed

Version 0.6
- balancing the "Build with Dowels" recipes
- you need more dowels than nais to build something

Version 0.5
- removed inapropriated crafts from the "Build with Dowels"

Version 0.4
- Bugfix for the vanilla "build" menu
- New build menu renamed "Build with Dowels"

Version 0.3
- New "build" menu
- Removed ability to find wodden dowels in crates
- Added crafting recipe for wooden dowels

Version 0.0.2
- Icon fully fonctional (thanks to Eggplanticus tutorial)
- One icon selected and resized

Version 0.1
- Added the dowel item
- Designed 5 icons

Edited by Onkeen

What is it with you french and your innate ability to make great mods?! ;) This is great!!

Haha I don't claim to be as good as Romain (RobertJohnson). 

In facts i'm not a great coder but I find a way to make this mod by reading some topic and testing things with the code...

RobotMat also leads me on the good way.

I think when you have an icon and a good idea, with lua code and some obstinacy, you can more or less easilly (depending on what you want to do) add content to the game   ;-) 

• 2 months later...

First of all, good job Onkeen. Great idea for a mod!

Jconn3r, I haven't gotten far enough in a game to actually make something with dowels yet, but I have crafted the dowels themselves and the construction menu is there in so I think it is working just fine in 2.9.9.17. See here for a full description of how to get it working with the latest mod loader yourself: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2011-how-to-use-the-modloader/

Really though, just go to your mods folder, make a file called mod.info inside the WoodenDowels folder, and write something like this in it (note that only the 'name' line is required and the rest is optional):

name=Wooden Dowels
poster=poster.png
id=WoodenDowels
description=Wooden Dowels

Save that, and if you want put an image called poster.png in the same directory (I just used the one from the examplemod folder), and that should do it. Set Zomboid to load the mod at startup and you should be good. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Having the ability to find bundles of wooden dowling in a hardware store could also be an interesting idea... Still need a saw to cut it down to the right length. So, say Bundle 'o Dowels --> 6x metre long lengths of wooden dowel. Then those large pieces of dowl would in turn need to be sawed and fitted as appropriate to whatever you have that needs doing.

Might be a nice pre-made source of material for campfire kits too I suppose

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

HURRAY ! MOD UPDATED for BUILD 26 !

Sorry... The update took a long time but it's finally here, i'll make a list of the things i'll add in the future updates.

I'll also try  to make this mod up to date as much as possible.

It seems I can't build with nails anymore...

I still get the option but it always says I'm missing the materials when I actually have them.

Bug Fixed ! Thank you for pointing it out !

Mod Update 1.2 !

Changelog :

- Craft with nails bug is now solved you can now build with nails or dowels without bug
- Destroying a furniture or wall crafted with dowels now drop dowels (and nails furniture drop nails)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mod Update 1.2 still compatible with Build 27 :

When does this mod will be able for build 27?

Well, I still haven't updated the mod because build 27 uses the same modding system as Build 26.

I am playing build 27 and loving the hell out of this mod.

As SandyBeaches said, I also use the mod in 27 and it wokrs just fine but if you notice any incompatibility issue please report it !

A new version of the mod will be needed for Build 28 because a bunch of new furnitures are comming and I'll try to update the mod as fast as possible when the build 28 will be released ;)

Thanks for this mod, it's really helpful! I already scavenged all of the nails in the Big Warehouse and McCoy (and breaking all the crates) and alrerady almost used them all up on my base. Now I'm building a skybridge to the south of Muldraugh with dowels. (just a vanity project to stop me from becoming bored). (I can't seem to post a picture)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, this is great, really.
What differs from your original suggestion?

Two main things : there is no way to craft furnitures with a drill & furnitures crafted with dowels are not more resistant (It would have been too much OP)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Mod Update 1.3 is OUT for BUILD 30 !

Changelog :

- New crafts added (Shelves, Bed, etc...)
- Carpentry level +1 for all crafts (anticipating the Build 31 update)
- Build 30 compatible

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I downloaded your mod this morning in response to West Point being almost devoid of nails (plenty of cigarettes, though!). I expected it to feel cheap and cheat-y.

It does not, thankfully. The fact that you only get 3 dowels for each plank, and that it takes a reasonable amount of time to craft said dowels balances out comfortably.

I also appreciate that you can't barricade with dowels, and that you increased the carpentry requirements for all items when made with dowels. Very well done, I plan on keeping this mod installed for the foreseeable future.

One thing I noticed, and it may have just been my game: I dropped a few dozen dowels on the ground (can't remember why) and had to exit my game for a minute. When I loaded back in, the dowels I left on the ground had vanished. Something to look into?

• 4 months later...

Hm, why the screwdriver?

I really like the idea, and i would like to see more all recipes working with those, cause this is hw they build whole building bevore they had forged nails.

Edit: after reading through the ISBuildMenu i figured, there are a lot of recipes ;D

Edited by Jugg3rV

I downloaded your mod this morning in response to West Point being almost devoid of nails (plenty of cigarettes, though!). I expected it to feel cheap and cheat-y.

It does not, thankfully. The fact that you only get 3 dowels for each plank, and that it takes a reasonable amount of time to craft said dowels balances out comfortably.

Thank's I like having feedback about the mod, and I happy to see that I have succeded trying to make a non-cheat alternative to nails  :-)

I also appreciate that you can't barricade with dowels, and that you increased the carpentry requirements for all items when made with dowels. Very well done, I plan on keeping this mod installed for the foreseeable future.

One thing I noticed, and it may have just been my game: I dropped a few dozen dowels on the ground (can't remember why) and had to exit my game for a minute. When I loaded back in, the dowels I left on the ground had vanished. Something to look into?

I was planing on adding the baricading with dowels but then i thought about realism and building a furniture is okay with dowels because it's wood on wood and you plan it at the moment you build it. I think baricading a window with dowels would be impossible IRL.

About the disapearing dowels I'll look into it for the next update thank you again for feedback  ;-)

Hm, why the screwdriver?

Hi ! I have a little experience with using dowels in IRL carpentry and we often used sharp screwdriver to make the dowels the size we wanted. However, I did'nt want the mod feature differents types of dowels, I thought it would just be boring for players to make X dowels of this size, then X thiner / wider etc... 

So I decided to force the screwdriver to make the craft, so that it would'nt be too easy to craft the dowels but I think a knife could also be realistic alternative to the screwdriver

I really like the idea, and i would like to see more all recipes working with those, cause this is hw they build whole building bevore they had forged nails.

Hum... What recipes are you talking about ? I thought I've aded an alternative for all recipes in the standard carpentry ? Do you have other ideas ? Suggestions ?