A greenhouse

raymond

Well, topic says it all. So for winter farming, you can build a greenhouse by rigging a wooden or metal carcass for it, then putting some transparent layer on the carcass, like glass, maybe plastic bags (tho not all of them are usually transparent), or even real greenhouse polycarbonate panels as a separate item.

Althouh IRL in winter you have to keep the greenhouse warm all the time, which requires loads of energy, but if they're gonna make farming seasonal, that is one of few ways to get food in winter, other than scavenging (probably useless since when winter hits, everything's already long time rotten), genetically modified or frost resistant plants, pickling and salting stuff (rather conserving than farming) or "searching the forest for food and resourses" ability added in the recent build 29 (haven't tried it yet, can't remember the word =/)

I'd actually like the fact farming will be very hard in winter. It will force us to rely on other food sources like fishing or trapping, or you'd have to farm stronk during the easy seasons to have a consequent winter stock, keeping the long term perishable farming products (like potatoes that can be stocked during a few months), or some conservation method. Winter should be the harsh(est) time of the year.

The idea in itself is cool but I don't know if it's worth it gameplay wise.

I like this make sense and should be easy to add to the game. Maybe even be able to take glass from house with some wood planks and use it to make a greenhouse.  As well as some of the big house out side of the towns might even have a greenhouse already.

Great idea :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow you ask I found one. I am not sure it works as it should but I was way up north of the mall near the edge of the map. I found some farms and homes not on any map i have seen and on one of them I found a green house.  Like I said I am not sure it work like a green house should but there one in the game.

[post=screenshot_11-10-2014_11-18-06.png]

Looks nice, I would love to test it, but i'm not quite sure how to get there  :???:

Wow you ask I found one. I am not sure it works as it should but I was way up north of the mall near the edge of the map. I found some farms and homes not on any map i have seen and on one of them I found a green house.  Like I said I am not sure it work like a green house should but there one in the game.

[post=screenshot_11-10-2014_11-18-06.png]

Looks nice, I would love to test it, but i'm not quite sure how to get there  :???:

Not sure if this works or it helps but the greenhouse is marked in red on this link I hope. If it did not work let me know I try another way to show it. Sorry I suck with some computer stuff.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.9015772516064707,0.15760038049496944,29.768709038256365

Note there are a lot of farms and homes around not a one is marked on the map I have at all.  I have not tested it yet I am thinking of set up a safe house there. But I just finished set up one at the big gas station along the road and not ready to move.

hope this helps

Not sure if this works or it helps but the greenhouse is marked in red on this link I hope. If it did not work let me know I try another way to show it. Sorry I suck with some computer stuff.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.9015772516064707,0.15760038049496944,29.768709038256365

Note there are a lot of farms and homes around not a one is marked on the map I have at all.  I have not tested it yet I am thinking of set up a safe house there. But I just finished set up one at the big gas station along the road and not ready to move.

hope this helps

I don't see the red mark on the map, but i've found it. Just in the zone where the map point's at and following your directions (north from the mall, following the road north, and when the road turns left, first sand road to the north). There are some nice houses there too (found a sledgehammer and an axe in the 2 story house near the greenhouse). Let's see if the greenhouse works

hope this helps

I don't see the red mark on the map, but i've found it. Just in the zone where the map point's at and following your directions (north from the mall, following the road north, and when the road turns left, first sand road to the north). There are some nice houses there too (found a sledgehammer and an axe in the 2 story house near the greenhouse). Let's see if the greenhouse works

Nice not sure why the red mark not there maybe that only shows on my pc. You might want to take the some of the tables out and drop dirt on the ground. I am not sure it going to work as it should in winter. But good luck.

I've tested a little. Made a new character and went to the house, leveled up farming up to level 4 and still in august, and planted some crops and harvested the fastest one: carrots.

Right now I can assume that the greenhouse is gives a lot of boost to health. Even at the level 4, crops planted outside at the same hour and receiving the same amount of water start with less health than the ones planted inside the greenhouse (as matter of fact, they all started with 100 in the greenhouse). They seem less prone to get diseases, as my otuside crops got pest flies twice and the inside crops none (but that may have been just luck, still have to test it further). They still require the same amount of water (so you have to spend water watering inside crops) and grow at the same rate.

I have to test it in winter, but as far as i can tell, greenhouses are worthwhile for fast-growing crops, crops that spend a lot of seeds and crops with a max limit of water, as better health means more seeds and food.

In a few words: A greenhouse is the perfect place to grow carrots.

give Blindcoder a few days, now that Build 29 is Official he will most likely add any new additions to his map.

he just does not like to do that with builds that are still in the IWBUMS phase.

You will have to parden a dumb ass old guy. But I am not sure I get your meaning? Maybe Blindcoder is the one who dose the maps? Sorry I do not know I just found the map on line. And if so the pic I post above of the greenhouse and all the farms and homes up north are all from build 28. This is where I am confused. I have not switched to build 29 and I am just home for lunch. But did build 29 get put in to the game for us not so back up are save people? LoL

give Blindcoder a few days, now that Build 29 is Official he will most likely add any new additions to his map.

he just does not like to do that with builds that are still in the IWBUMS phase.

You will have to parden a dumb ass old guy. But I am not sure I get your meaning? Maybe Blindcoder is the one who dose the maps? Sorry I do not know I just found the map on line. And if so the pic I post above of the greenhouse and all the farms and homes up north are all from build 28. This is where I am confused. I have not switched to build 29 and I am just home for lunch. But did build 29 get put in to the game for us not so back up are save people? LoL

http://pzmap.crash-override.net

that map is the creation of a great forum member named Blindcoder.

he updates that frequently, as new stuff is added to the map, but only when a new build is released as an Official build.......that is once it has moved out of the IWBUMS Beta test phase.

where ever it was that this greenhouse was found, it will certainly show up on Blindcoders map soon so others can find it without stumbling around "blindly"

• 1 year later...

Necroing to ask a few questions.

On 10/13/2014 at 7:06 AM, Impetiso said:

I've tested a little. Made a new character and went to the house, leveled up farming up to level 4 and still in august, and planted some crops and harvested the fastest one: carrots.

Right now I can assume that the greenhouse is gives a lot of boost to health. Even at the level 4, crops planted outside at the same hour and receiving the same amount of water start with less health than the ones planted inside the greenhouse (as matter of fact, they all started with 100 in the greenhouse). They seem less prone to get diseases, as my otuside crops got pest flies twice and the inside crops none (but that may have been just luck, still have to test it further). They still require the same amount of water (so you have to spend water watering inside crops) and grow at the same rate.

I have to test it in winter, but as far as i can tell, greenhouses are worthwhile for fast-growing crops, crops that spend a lot of seeds and crops with a max limit of water, as better health means more seeds and food.

In a few words: A greenhouse is the perfect place to grow carrots.

Do greenhouses work for growing crops during the winter, as implied here?

And are there any plans to add lootable glass to the world? I'd like to be able to build my own greenhouse if it works as well as it does here.

The other nice thing about greenhouses is that they're nice and warm inside-which means you could grow tropical fruit! Bananas, pineapple, oranges, lemons, avocado...sure, you'd need starters. Sure, you'd need a lot of work. Sure, you'd need dedicated heaters in the winter. But you could do it!

• 2 years later...