Trupiak

One thing I'd mentioned is that older characters would get an additional skills boost at the start. Eg you'd start level 2 farming (or whatever). That's not something that currently happens, so is offering something new. Regardless though, my input was purely intended to show a potential in the idea. Obviously many ideas can start one way and ultimately end up as something else after a more considered design approach. The danger is in dismissing something at its first iteration purely because that first iteration isn't considered to have merit.

Saying that, I'm actually going to contradict myself and say I agree that the whole age concept wouldn't personally add much to the game for me. But I don't agree that it's a worthless idea for other people, which I was trying to suggest with my input.

I liked the idea of aging but i think that the skills should be set up differently. I think that the Younger age is more entertained but gets board easier. The older are a bit slower but learn a little faster and things like that. I mean It isn't significant but they want it to be realistic so if everyone is 27 then how realistic can it get. I like the idea but i think that the things i they should have slight unnoticeable effects. Simple little things can make a big change. If i wanted to create me for a matter of fact i don't want to create a future/past me because of a simple age. There really doesn't have to be any difference in fact. I would be happy just setting the age and it changing every year on some random day or something. The general idea of age is a concept i like no matter how small.

Agree with the King, it seems odd to force everyone to be 27 yet go on about how the game is focussed on a realistic interpretation of a zombie apocalypse. Is this insinuating that only 27 year olds would survive? 

Keeping it simple, from a gameplay perspective you could simply say, older character = worse at everything. In essence you're creative a difficulty level. Play with an older character and the game will be harder and thus more challenging. Therefore, you're extending the longevity of the game by giving players an additional challenge once they've tired of the default age setting.

• 7 months later...

In addition to what has been mentioned so far, choosing to be 45 could mean you get to pick two jobs that your guy has had over the course of his life, and three if you choose 70 years old. If he's had the same job for his whole working life then the benefits could add up. A 70 year old carpenter who's being doing carpentry since he was young would be really quite skilled. And because of changing culture, maybe old people should automatically know more about farming and carpentry and foraging and that sort of thing. Various weaknesses of the body are downsides of old age.

It is possible to still be black-haired and healthy at 65, and this bit could be done with the traits system.

(It seems posting in old threads is less against the guidelines than making a new one identical to another, and considering the topic it is interesting that an elderly thread is being appreciated like the young'uns.)

The debate is back!!!!! why!!!!!! Anyway i agree with age having some effect just nothing that is major like if i want to be young i am afraid of everything i see. Or if i'm old i don't want to be unable to move without a cane and stuck throwing butterscotch at the Z's. I do agree with multiple jobs as well but feel the option of selecting previous jobs giving you some of a buff but less being helpful. 

• 4 months later...

Step 1.

Make the little number labled as 'age' count up.

Step 2.

When it hits 50 make the characters hair turn grey.

Step 3.

Tell players that age affects characters in unspecified ways, and that they will have to figure it out on their own.

Step 4.

Sit back and congratulate yourselves while satisfying a minority, with minimal work involved.

--------------------

In all seriousness, as Rathlord said the concept is redundant. You want to play an old guy with more knowledge and less physical ability? Take overweight, weak, asthmatic and some skill perks.

Not only that but if you are surviving 30+ years, not only is the game doing something wrong but... you might want to consider splashing out for a new game or a bike or something.

For the sake of argument though, say I had to suggest avway that this could work. The only way I could see this being a good idea is if the devs decide to make skills decay over time (not farmed for a couple of months? Farming XP starts trickling away). Age could act as a modifier - younger characters learn faster but also forget things faster too, while old characters are more resistant to change.