Trupiak

When you create a character, its always 27 years old, my idea is to be enable to change it:

18 years old - 27 years old - Good conditions, healthy, more nimble, faster runnin, more cowardly, he can faster learn stuff

28 years old-35 years old - not so coward, it is harder to make him panic, normal running, faster, he got already a level in some skills 

36 years old - 45 years old - weak heart, can have heart stop by panic, he cant run so well, he has more levels in something, but it takes more time to make him bored, or he is clever enought to realize that being sad is wasting of the time, and he cant change anything 

Or you decide the traits of the ages. Every year should have balance, example :

Example 1: +A +B -C

Example 2: +A -B + C

Example 3 - -A +B + C

something like this, or make age doesnt matter if you want

I agree with changing age, but changing traits with it?

Just because you are older, doesn't mean you are more skilled or braver than other people, age doesn't matter in that respect, also, do 45 year olds even get heart attacks that often? it would be a real bitch to be running away then suddendly dying of a heart attack

I agree with changing age, but changing traits with it?

Just because you are older, doesn't mean you are more skilled or braver than other people, age doesn't matter in that respect, also, do 45 year olds even get heart attacks that often? it would be a real bitch to be running away then suddendly dying of a heart attack

I just gave an example xD, by the way i just told u ppl that it doesnt have to change traits

Ah, I made a suggestion very similar to this.

I totally agree. Plus, I don't think the years add up.

When you start at 27, I think you stay 27, no matter how long you survive.

I wish I could be 27 forever...

Lucky bastard, living the dream, having a self sufficient farm during a zed apoalypse, being 27 for all of his life...

Aye, this has been suggested before, and got a dev response if I recall correctly. The short version is: it might be nice to do, but the devs probably don't have the time available to spend to make new sprites for different ages. It would essentially multiply the current workload for adding an animation by 8 or more times, minimum.

Aye, this has been suggested before, and got a dev response if I recall correctly. The short version is: it might be nice to do, but the devs probably don't have the time available to spend to make new sprites for different ages. It would essentially multiply the current workload for adding an animation by 8 or more times, minimum.

I didnt know that someone suggested it before, but thanks for info

I don't think there's any need in separate animations for 45 year olds, they're not that different in terms of movement, unlike the elderly who tend to have difficulties with walking. But what in my opinion should be added is, like Trupiak suggested, an ABILITY to assign extra skill points for older, but not as a necsessity, just for roleplay options. From my experience, older people, if they do something pretty long, they DO get much, much better in it than inexperienced youngsters, because obviously they spent plenty of time to figure things out. And for balance sake, there should be difficulties for older people, like loosing breath after running, maybe strokes from TOO much stress moodlet, difficulties in learning new things and further skill increasing - and again, that's pretty realistic.

The great thing about the current system is that you can already simulate that- take the out if shape options and add in some stuff you feel fit with the older people and there you have it!

Maybe it would be better to simply remove the age from the info screen altogether.

I say it would be better to change the age in the customization screen, and a birthday date, and the info would actually update.

• 5 weeks later...

The great thing about the current system is that you can already simulate that- take the out if shape options and add in some stuff you feel fit with the older people and there you have it!

Maybe it would be better to simply remove the age from the info screen altogether.

I say it would be better to change the age in the customization screen, and a birthday date, and the info would actually update.

Thatd be nice, itd be a lot more satisfying seeing a starting age of 18 and you're 23 now instead of "5 years, 2 months..."

I think age could play a more decisive role with NPCs implemented.

Generalising:

Young = a lot of physical benefits and faster learning

older = more likely to gain the trust of other NPCs or gain other benefits from them. Also how about older characters come with several skills already improved? The older the character, the more they know. but maybe they struggle to learn new concepts..

Not sure what the deal is with someone saying it'd be too hard for the devs to implement this graphically. Until I read this thread, I thought old characters were already in, seeing how you can already pick a grey haired balding guy as a character. That's all it needs. No need for additional anims.

No new animations are needed at all, just replace the hair as the character ages...its not hard to implement at all, just add an age check at the start of every year/half year/whatever, and if its at a life-changing age replace the hair with a different style/color.

This would also add in realism because the older you become the more likely for you to die a natural death, which could be the whole goal of the game, die a natural death at the ripe old age of 70-80(or older).

Not sure what the deal is with someone saying it'd be too hard for the devs to implement this graphically. Until I read this thread, I thought old characters were already in, seeing how you can already pick a grey haired balding guy as a character. That's all it needs. No need for additional anims.

So what you're saying is... you could just make an old character already and save the devs the time so they could code something that adds to the game in a more impactful way? :D

He won't (or at least shouldn't) live long enough...

If the zombie apocalypse happened you'd still age regardless, it wouldnt stop, the point of the game is "This is how you died", not "This is how you died by zombies", its possible to live long enough for natural death if you have enough experience to know what/what not to do no matter how hard they make the game, which I feel should be the whole goal of the game, survive as long as possible, and if you're extremely well at doing it, die of natural causes 50-60 years down the road, which is an extremely long time for one character.

What are the odds of making 50-60 years after they release updates to make the game more difficult/next to impossible to beat? Next to nothing, which I feel should be something to shoot for, a final goal, without something to aim for whats the point of playing?

I didn't say anything about death by zombies. I said that the game should be challenging enough that it'd kill you in a smaller time frame. If 1% of gamers achieve to live long enough that aging would/should be happening then that would be a feature that would cater only to 1% of the gamers. Therefore it'd be a very unnecessary use of development time.

The point of the game is that you shouldn't live that long. That's literally the whole concept behind PZ =\

Unless you can tell me exactly what an arbitrary feature that adds nothing in content and caters to something directly averse to what the devs are trying to make adds to the game, I don't think this discussion needs to continue.

Then whats the point of surviving if theres nothing to look forward to?  Wow, you survived 3 months, give this man a cookie...wow, you survived 6 years this time around, congratulations, but whats so special about that compared to your 3 month run?  Absolutely nothing, you're not closer to anything at 6 years then you were at 3 months

Thats a reason devs put next to unreachable goals in games, and the reason theres achievements, if only 0.05% of 1 million players that can get the achievement then what was the reason the devs put it in?  To give people something to aim for.

This is the reason I dont play this game anymore, once you get a house and fortify it and have a farm, its an absolutely 100% waste of time to keep playing it, you're self sustained, and even after all their updates and such, theres always going to be a way to survive indefinitely unless they throw something cheap that the player has no control over, such as natural disease or heart attacks/health issues not created by the infected.

Rathlord, if you peek at my comment above, I had made a suggestion as to a purpose of age. In essence, young = faster/stronger. Old = comes with already improved skills but weaker/slower (plus potential NPC benefits but not sure what the plan is in that regard). You'd chose the age of your character at the start of the game, in the same way that you can already pick traits to give benefits/disadvantages.

Gives players a simple choice which could dramatically change how you approach the game. I can't think of any way that'd be a bad thing? 

Similar to if I choose to start the game with the marksman trait, I'd change how to play the game with the aim of using guns as my main weapon. Now if I chose to play as an older guy, I'll have a better chance of, say, doing well at farming. I'd be trying to get out of town as quick as possible to build up my farm in the wilderness. But because I'd be slower/weaker, I'd be more likely to die before I get that far. But if I go for a younger guy, I'd spend more time looting in the town as I'd be stronger/faster. Maybe even build a base in town.

Just giving a potential reason, but I don't think the game would be any weaker without this.

This is the reason I dont play this game anymore, once you get a house and fortify it and have a farm, its an absolutely 100% waste of time to keep playing it, you're self sustained, and even after all their updates and such, theres always going to be a way to survive indefinitely unless they throw something cheap that the player has no control over, such as natural disease or heart attacks/health issues not created by the infected.

That's exactly what the team are hoping to address through Operation: FLGBKYBYGT. Setting up in a safe house with a farm will not allow you to survive indefinately. There are a lot of ideas being thrown around, and they don't involve death that is outside the player's control - hordes and NPC threats being recurring themes.

The idea is that it will be incredibly difficult to survive long term and turtling will not be an option - but that survival will still come down to player skill and not luck.

The reason to play will be the increased challenge.

Now, as for age - I'd say aging in game is not worth it. The plans are to make things very difficult to the extent that long-term survival, long enough for aging to make a difference, is a non issue.

Sure - you could survive for 50 years. Then again, you could complete Dark Souls without dying once. You'll be in the 0.0001% though...

As for the proposed idea of starting as an older character and having more skills, increasing skills slower, having different moodle reactions... I'd still say no, as the game has been designed around a 'blank slate' character and inserting this would likely have serious consequences on balancing. Plus, I like the idea that everyone starts out essentially the same, it keeps things even.

I think 'age' should be an aesthetic thing only. I'd welcome a few more character creation options to reflect this, but I can live with what's there.

Ewok, you are aware you can choose from numerous traits when you create a character as well as choosing a profession? That's not the blank slate you're describing and having age change certain factors about your character is almost the exact same concept. I still can't see how this can be a bad thing unless you, by design, also dislike traits and profession choices in the game?

Fact is, people like cutsomising their character in games. I'm suggesting allowing this in game would not only be giving people something that they want (or if they don't then just leave it at the "default" setting) but also ensure it has consequences to how you play the game, so make it more interesting - just as traits and profession currently do. That's a win-win in my book.

I do dislike the idea of noticeably aging in-game though. I've currently not played more than a few months in-game and find myself getting bored as I've achieved all there is to achieve. I can't imagine someone playing for 20 years!