Soft resets should not reset player made containers

Dryke

Currently, a soft reset will wipe everything in a player built container and respawn it with random items according to the container type. 

IMO this limits the value of a soft reset by undermining the concept behind a persistent multiplayer environment since anything players have accumulated that they do not carry on their characters is wiped out.

Beyond that it opens up a huge potential exploit on any MP server where soft resets are used regularly; players can build hundreds of crates and loot them at will with every reset.

Oh its planned I am sure, Multiplayer in general at the moment wasn't planned, kinda formed out of a  "Oh look theres a REALLY easy way we can add this" and then they added it.

Originally we wouldn't have multiplayer for another couple months or after NPC's.

• 3 years later...

Most of the lag I experienced when running servers was from people hoarding hundreds of thousands of items in a small space, in player-built or moved containers.

Soft resets allowed me to take care of that problem and encourage loot hunting anew, without deleting their bases. 

Otherwise, I don't really know why you'd use it. If you just want to clean stuff off the ground proper, Connall made the item removal list toggleable between whitelist and black list.