One Bad Apple

Kajin

I'm sure you've heard the old saying one bad apple spoils the bunch? Well I think it might be a good idea to apply this in game.

Adjust things so that there's lower then current base spoilage rate for all perishable foods in game. All foods last at least a little bit longer in storage then they do now if you're vigilant and pick through it every so often to make sure it's still fresh. Then make it so that any item that does spoil in your food storage vastly accelerates the spoilage rates for all the food it's stored with, giving that storage container in particular a much higher base spoilage rate than the current rate. If that happens, you'd stand to lose food much faster if you aren't careful. Got a spoiled item in storage and leave for a couple days to get other supplies? Come back and a third of the food in that container is either rotten or starting to go stale.

Other fun complications! Why should crop tiles get all of the fun with pestilence? Rats and mice are sure to want to get into some of your hard won food stores. It can't be healthy for your fruits and vegetables. The rodents gnawing tiny little pieces out of them here and there, resulting in breakage of the protective skins and leaving vulnerable the flesh inside to pathogens that cause rot. Also, it can't be good having them crawling around your food, pooping and peeing all over it. Rodent infestations cause some of your stored food to become rotten at various intervals depending on how bad the infestation is. This in turn causes the rest of your food to go bad a lot faster. Better find some rat traps to manage this problem. Maybe even a cat.

Insects could also cause trouble for you. Small amounts of rotten food could attract gnats which slightly increases the amount of spoilage for all food items and makes your survivors unhappy. Moderate amounts of rotten food attracts flies, who lay eggs in the rotten food that become maggots. Flies and maggots make your survivors very unhappy and increase odds of getting sick if you stay near them too long. Maggots will also work their way towards the fresh food after they've reached a certain critical mass, causing the fresh food to spoil and become maggot infested as well. If it gets really bad and you lose too much food, then... Well, at least maggots are good protein I guess? The good news is that, if you catch it early enough, the insect infestation can be managed simply by removing the rotten food. Rotten food is easier to digest for the insects, so they'll all move along to find some other source of rot as opposed to bothering your fresh crops. If it gets too bad, though, you may have to get some pesticides to spray on your stored food to kill all the insects. Hope you got plenty of fresh water to rinse it off before eating it.

I agree with everything said. The aspect of rotten food spoiling other food is basic. The rodent problem could be solved with traps or even rat poison. The aspect of having a cat/dog in the game is a excellent  game, just made a few comments about this in another section. 

Birds eating crops when ready to harvest would be another option. Really hard rain washing away crops. 

Lets not make the game too hard on our self's haha.

• 5 months later...

Hadn't really thought about that until you mentioned it, but that would be more realistic. Forcing you to pick through your stores. Now if we can just keep the spoiled produce separated from the edible produce in our bags - that would make my day...accidental food poisoning from spoiled watermelon isn't fun.

There's an option in the inventory to show each individual item in a stack so that it's relatively easy to pick through what you have. That being said, I forget it's even there half the time because it's not easily noticeable that you can even do it :)