Tall pine trees :D

Necromatic_Corgi

I was wondering if it would be possible to have tall trees like telltales the walking dead, So you can walk under them and not be slowed down constantly (It gets annoying) It would be awesome to have large oak trees nstead of character high half grown trees.

Picture:

walking_dead_season2_1_zpse8c8eafe.jpg

This was my question in mondoid, Its not a direct answer but it seems like it's possible, It would just take some time.

Do you plan on overhauling the wilderness? I don’t care if the world is flat but I would enjoy some big trxees with canopies that we can walk under. For too long we have been slowed down by trees.
There is a wilderness overhaul planned, however tree canopies present some technical problems involving how “floors” disappear and how to do this without making the trees look terrible. So, it would be nice to have, but it’s lower down the priority list than other aspects of map development.

Honestly, If there was a downvote option, I couldn't down-vote this hard enough.

Why :'(

Well... Tall pines in an isometric perspective. Just think about how you could distinguish these from any other tree (in an isometric perspective), and then consider the other possibilities that would have to also be implemented - low, ankle-wrangling growth, mid-height small trees and shrubbery, to other tall pines, beeches, and various other tree varieties.

Targeting such a small portion of tree variety, for such a forceful suggestion, comes off as pretty much a "I want this" kind of suggestion, without regard for the impact on the gameplay and the extent of extra development something like this would require in a "Z-layer oriented" world. In my opinion, at least.

Honestly, If there was a downvote option, I couldn't down-vote this hard enough.

Why :'(

Well... Tall pines in an isometric perspective. Just think about how you could distinguish these from any other tree (in an isometric perspective), and then consider the other possibilities that would have to also be implemented - low, ankle-wrangling growth, mid-height small trees and shrubbery, to other tall pines, beeches, and various other tree varieties.

Targeting such a small portion of tree variety, for such a forceful suggestion, comes off as pretty much a "I want this" kind of suggestion, without regard for the impact on the gameplay and the extent of extra development something like this would require in a "Z-layer oriented" world. In my opinion, at least.

I really mean trees in general, You walk around the game world and there are only a few different types of trees, No large oak trees and tall trees, All of the trees in this game are the same general size of your character which to me at least is a little dissapointing and unrealistic.

The . . . same way other games differentiate them? Look at trees in Stronghold for example: isometric perspective, yet variations in height. Or Arcanum. Then comes the ability to zoom.

You seem to have managed just fine. :( Remember that whole "be lovely" thing and posts about "If you dont like it, please . . . just don't respond"?

The . . . same way other games differentiate them? Look at trees in Stronghold for example: isometric perspective, yet variations in height. Or Arcanum. Then comes the ability to zoom.

You seem to have managed just fine. :( Remember that whole "be lovely" thing and posts about "If you dont like it, please . . . just don't respond"?

Well said Enigma :)

The short answer is that it's possible to have high objects . . . the trouble is they'd likely be cut off in the same way as streetlights are, when you're closer to them. They'd likely have to handled in a different way to make it aesthetically pleasing while maintaing the whole 2D tiled map thing.

But then, most things are "possible."

The short answer is that it's possible to have high objects . . . the trouble is they'd likely be cut off in the same way as streetlights are, when you're closer to them. They'd likely have to handled in a different way to make it aesthetically pleasing while maintaing the whole 2D tiled map thing.

But then, most things are "possible."

Okay, Well thanks. They probably wont add taller trees though sadly.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post from a dev mentionning different kind of trees in the future (so probably with different height), as long as they suit the local flora ! But I don't think that's very high in the priority list ;o

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post from a dev mentionning different kind of trees in the future (so probably with different height), as long as they suit the local flora ! But I don't think that's very high in the priority list ;o

Related to the switch to 3D that didn't entirely manifest though, not counting the changes with Erosion.

Related to the switch to 3D that didn't entirely manifest though, not counting the changes with Erosion.

Ah yeah that makes sense, I didn't remember in what post I did read that information. I think the game still undergoes those changes on a very very very very  far position on the priority list, hence why we haven't heard about it for a while (imo).

I like the idea of trees with varying heights (and canopies that you can walk under), but having said that:

I don't think we should tell people that if they don't like an idea they should say nothing.  As long as it is done tastefully and politely, 'counter-suggesting' is something that we should encourage particularly where a logical reason is provided :)

Generally I would like to see 2 floors high trees but EnigmaGrey said it before: They will be cut if you near and there will be only tree trunks :( .

Technically we won't ever see the branches from above, because our character had a perspective on his/her current floor and I think many players would be "sad" if they can't see for example a horde because of the branches which they cover. And it could be annoying to see the branches switching on or off if you walk.

On the other side it would look cool if your charakter is on a higher floor than the trees :)

I hope my text is read- and understandable :D

Edit: Something coming in my mind... sadly a contra

In the building editor for example lamp posts are not conected. I have to place the bottom part of the LP (lamp post) and then switching one floor up and place the upper part of the LP. If you now destroy the lower part of the LP I think the upper part would be remain floating. Of course its only theoretical and I never tried it but I think if you lumber one of your pine trees, the branches would be remain flying :(

Edited by Sieben

Generally I would like to see 2 floors high trees but EnigmaGrey said it before: They will be cut if you near and there will be only tree trunks :( .

Technically we won't ever see the branches from above, because our character had a perspective on his/her current floor and I think many players would be "sad" if they can't see for example a horde because of the branches which they cover. And it could be annoying to see the branches switching on or off if you walk.

On the other side it would look cool if your charakter is on a higher floor than the trees :)

I hope my text is read- and understandable :D

I still don't understand why they couldnt just make the sprites for the trees one floor but have the height higher, Couldn't that technically work?

Yes, I know what you trying to say. It's like 3D (in really 2D because it uses only two axis not three) fake isometric view (like the old Ultima games)

The tree would use more than one tile like the children slide. I don't know if both tiles would be block the view and the walk but distant trees would cover more place than a singe tree trunk.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is a solution I can't see :)

Edit: so one big tree would take place like three current trees but zombies and items aside the big tree would be hidden because of the view perspective and they shouldn't because they won't stand "under" the three. It's like current with a bridge for example, you can't see under the brigde because you are not close enough that the engine will blend out the upper floor. But even if you're enough in the fake isometric view, there would be only a small circle around you like if you stand close to a wall.

Maybe someone with a better english sentence can explain it :blush:

Edited by Sieben

I think that if they were to make taller trees that they would make the wilderness looks so good, And I think that it would be totally worth the work becuase it would make the game more realistic and the wilderness would look a lot nicer, But if they do plan on making taller trees it would happen after 1.0 when all of the main features are in and they are polishing the game.

As far as I know, there's no way to flag something to force it to draw above a certain level when the player approaches. You'd have to add checks to the rendering engine and mapping tools to do that. This, I imagine, is why things like lampposts are usually player-height stumps of metal.

Maybe it will happen one day. *Shrug*

As far as I know, there's no way to flag something to force it to draw above a certain level when the player approaches. You'd have to add checks to the rendering engine and mapping tools to do that. This, I imagine, is why things like lampposts are usually player-height stumps of metal.

Maybe it will happen one day. *Shrug*

I really really hope so.

Personally I don't think seeing a bunch of 'tree stumps' (or tree trunks...however the game presented it) as you walk through a tall forest as a negative, provided that there is some mechanic for the forest to continue to block LOS.  Theoretically the tree trunks would be what a person would be seeing at eye level anyway.