Stickmen: Element Masters Indiegogo

eltantillo

Hello,

I'm writing to let you know about the Indiegogo campaign of 'StickMen: Element Masters'.

Take a moment to check it out on Indiegogo and also share it with your friends. All the tools are there. Get perks, make a contribution, or simply follow updates. If enough of us get behind it, we can make 'StickMen: Element Masters' a better game to enjoy!

StickMen: Element Masters on Indiegogo!

1011829.png

First off, a Kickstarter campaign is not an Indiegogo campaign.

Second, I couldn't find any information on how your game differs from any other fighting game. Like, how is it different from Street Fighter? And I don't mean graphics or story, I mean the game. Why should I potentially support it? I assume there's something to the "elements"? But it's never explained, it just says the elements "are there".

Admittedly, similarly to Nachtfischer I don't really see the difference between your concept, and the concept of the tens (maybe hundreds?) of other fighter games - especially those of a similar calibre.

In all honesty, at a glance, it looks a lot like you're trying to get money or funding for a 'spare time project'.

My reasons for this include

- It is made in Game Maker (from the perspective of a programmer, I'd consider it a bit of a 'kiddies tool', or at best something for mocking up ideas as a hobby).

- It is a stickman graphic style (I use this, and a similar style but in 3d with cubes and spheres, when a game concept is not yet complete enough to spend resources on 'decent' graphics, or if I am just mucking around with ideas to see how they play out).

- One of the goals being to release it on multiple platforms - something which you already state earlier in the description as being something you can do with Game Maker regardless, so it comes across as a bit like "If you give me this extra money, I'll make an effort to release it on multiple platforms, instead of just PC (or whatever you may be developing it on)".

- The goal involving introduction of new touch controls coming after the goal of it being released on iOS and android... How do those players play the game 'properly' on their touch devices without key inputs if the release goal is reached, but not the touch controls?

- The $50,000 goal, and others above that seem a lot like you never expect them to be reached, and there is not evidence that your game engine can even meet the goals of "Real time online fight matches", and "Open world gameplay". How do those even come into your existing concept of elemental stickman fights??

I think you'd probably be better to develop and release the game in your spare time, using what time and funds you have available to you - not only to prove some of your concepts are possible with whatever skills you may have with Game Maker, but to also prove to potential donators that you are actually better than the tens of thousands of other kids that use Game Maker themselves to muck around with.

Who knows, if it's half decent, and people like the concept you might get some recognition from another developer or publisher wanting to do some work with you on a sequel!!

Though this all might sound a bit bashful towards you, I intend it with the best intentions. I hope you can prove to us that this is something special, and wish you all the best of luck

Thanks for taking some time for giving me some feedback.

I didn't saw till now that I have some ideas in my mind that are not showing to the general public. By some of the comments I can see that you didn't downloaded the demo, the game have touch controls, but I want to work in a better control system for the touch devices, but I don’t have any touch device (even a cellphone).

The licenses to release to extra devices also has a cost, it just don't comes with the standard version of Game Maker. Also the physical devices for development has a cost.

Maybe you are sub estimating a little bit the real potential of game maker, I'm a software Engineering and know a lot of programming languages: C++, Java, PHP, Python, etc... but the development time in those languages can´t event be compared to the time it takes to make the game of game maker, and It's not worth the extra processor performance you get from those languages in today’s devices.

Now the stickmen don't need to be a concept only style, check out this video for example:

I'm releasing the campaign because I have no time or money to develop, I have a half time job from 8am-12pm, that just give me enough money to survive and classes in college from 12pm-8pm.

What makes different my game from other fighting games? 

There are 3 main features I consider important

1. It has some RPG characteristics: You collect some cards that increase your stats, so the more cards you have, the more powerful your character will be
  2. The elemental power have advantages and disadvantages in front of other elements, so that gives some extra stat boost or decrease to your character in front of another one.
  3. The weapons: The main characteristic of the weapons is that they acquire the effects of your current element. Also when you receive a very strong hit there´s a chance to drop your weapon, and if the other player picks it up, he will be able to fight you using your own weapon.

If by some miracle I reach the $50,000+ goals, I'll be able to hire some people, but you are totally right, I'm hiding some stuff that only I know, and it goes to this misconceptions.